Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453140 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3150 on: June 04, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52903717?fbclid=IwAR1fAYkAwS22HoS1tfaHDsFbWXr9ZaZ--nQa9ValG3W1v4bxFRIxPT8miEw

Sweden now says it was a mistake not to go into lockdown since too many people died.

The individual who initially gave us the 2.2 million dead in America if nothing was done now says lockdown changed absolutly nothing and Sweden did it right.   As for "too many people died,"   well ,  yea, compared to how many would have died if China had not lied, covered up,  and actually had requested help.  

I've forgotten the figures but Sweden really does not look too bad.   However,  it's a myth they did no lockdown.  They did some,  it just was not as broad as most others.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3151 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
The individual who initially gave us the 2.2 million dead in America if nothing was done now says lockdown changed absolutly nothing and Sweden did it right.

Meanwhile, Sweden says Sweden did it wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3152 on: June 04, 2020, 01:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3155 on: June 05, 2020, 12:00:53 AM »
Meanwhile, Sweden says Sweden did it wrong.

Do I hear an echo in here?   

I think there is a growing realization in some areas that  we didn't need the lockdown we employed.  We should have concentrated on protecting the aged, infirm,  and those with  comorbidities  and let younger people more or less alone,  or use masks indoors   when in company.

I don't personally know if Sweden did it wel,, or poorly .... sorta think they're mainly o.k. 

I do think we went much too far. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3156 on: June 05, 2020, 01:29:02 AM »

I don't personally know if Sweden did it wel,, or poorly .... sorta think they're mainly o.k. 

I don't know personally, either, since I'm not there. Data indicate the Sweden has had a CV-19 death rate 10 times higher than Norway, which did have a lockdown. That sounds statistically significant to me.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3157 on: June 05, 2020, 06:28:02 AM »
I don't know personally, either, since I'm not there. Data indicate the Sweden has had a CV-19 death rate 10 times higher than Norway, which did have a lockdown. That sounds statistically significant to me.
1. 10 times higher?  I doubt it.
2. There are massive state-to-state differences in the US.  Even states with similar policies.
3. Testing plays a big part in calculated death rates. For that matter, so does attribution of death.
4. Have those lives been “saved”, or were the deaths delayed by a few months?  The virus isn’t gone, and I’m not counting on a miracle cure any time soon.

Hawkmoon

• friend

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3159 on: June 05, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »
I didn't make up that number.
Doesn't change my doubt in the slightest.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3160 on: June 05, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
Um ... Is Sweden the outlier or is it Norway? How does each country compare to the rest of the world?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3161 on: June 05, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »
Um ... Is Sweden the outlier or is it Norway? How does each country compare to the rest of the world?

Woody

A case could be made either way.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3163 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
The headline and lede are meant to suggest that a store manager was attacked by someone because the attacker didn't want to wear a mask. But, not surprisingly, someone freaked out for the usual reasons people flip out in retail stores.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/07/bloodied-modesto-store-manager-describes-life-in-age-of-covid-19/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3164 on: June 07, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
From the Twitchy responses:

I'm sorry, but… 😂😂😂

Does this mean people could gather in a group of 100 people, and claim it wasn't a social gathering, but rather a protest about the fact that social gathering is limited to 12 people? https://t.co/miLeljlyMg

— Jeremy Stangroom (@PhilosophyExp) June 5, 2020

=D cum laude there, Jeremy !

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3168 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/shutdowns-prevented-60-million-coronavirus-infections-in-the-u-s-study-finds/

More modeling on the infection rate.

Are these the studies that were submitted for review on March 8?

If so, it seems they might be basing their study more on projections than data....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3169 on: June 09, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
Apropos of nothing, or maybe something. I went in for my annual physical last week and the receptionist was wearing her mask with her nose exposed.  :laugh:

I wasn't wearing a mask and wasn't required to. The staff all had them on, though given my above observation, likely to little effect. I got my physical at the rural clinic in town where the doc only shows up a couple of times a week. It's part of a fairly big regional medical center though, so the mask stuff might be stricter in the city clinics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3170 on: June 09, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-who-bn/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_health+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Health%29

With additional confirmation of these findings, I will be interested to see if this changes the recommendations on masking at all. The primary reason I mask up is that I work daily in a healthcare facility surrounded by sick people, and I want to reduce the possibility that I am asymptomatically shedding virus to others.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3171 on: June 09, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »
I've got a pre-op physical scheduled for.this afternoon.  Part of it includes a Covid test. I'll report back on the health and safety theater nonsense  I witness.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3172 on: June 09, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
Apropos of nothing, or maybe something. I went in for my annual physical last week and the receptionist was wearing her mask with her nose exposed.  :laugh:

I wasn't wearing a mask and wasn't required to. The staff all had them on, though given my above observation, likely to little effect. I got my physical at the rural clinic in town where the doc only shows up a couple of times a week. It's part of a fairly big regional medical center though, so the mask stuff might be stricter in the city clinics.

My very large multi-state healthcare system is generally requiring all staff to wear a mask and all patients and visitors to wear a mask, unless prevented by doing so for a medical reason.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3173 on: June 09, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
I've got a pre-op physical scheduled for.this afternoon.  Part of it includes a Covid test. I'll report back on the health and safety theater nonsense  I witness.

I wasn't even offered a covid test.  I should have remembered to ask - I'm actually curious as to whether I've had it or not.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3174 on: June 09, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-who-bn/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_health+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Health%29

With additional confirmation of these findings, I will be interested to see if this changes the recommendations on masking at all. The primary reason I mask up is that I work daily in a healthcare facility surrounded by sick people, and I want to reduce the possibility that I am asymptomatically shedding virus to others.

As most of the response has been theatre for the past month or two, I'm doubting that new information is going to stop the bullheaded "experts" in the states that are refusing to release their citizens from house arrest.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought