Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453218 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3175 on: June 09, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
I wasn't even offered a covid test.  I should have remembered to ask - I'm actually curious as to whether I've had it or not.

I kind of thought I might have had it early this year.  In fact, most people I've spoken to have mentioned having a bad cold/respiratory condition in early spring.  In fact, my sister was curious enough to get an antibody test, which came back negative.  I think there was just a nasty non-covid cold that had gone through the area.  I doubt I've had the covid . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3176 on: June 09, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
I've got a pre-op physical scheduled for.this afternoon.  Part of it includes a Covid test. I'll report back on the health and safety theater nonsense  I witness.

Check in for fever, questions and hand me a mask.
The Covid test was singularly unpleasant, swabbing up the nose and sample apparantly taken from somewhere behind the frontal lobe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3177 on: June 09, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
The Covid test was singularly unpleasant, swabbing up the nose and sample apparently taken from somewhere behind the frontal lobe.

So you're saying you received a free frontal lobotomy with your beer virus test?  Did it help any?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3178 on: June 09, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
I don't think.so, I still hate my job and I'm pretty sure im still a grumpy, middle aged ahole.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3179 on: June 09, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
^^^It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3180 on: June 09, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
Is the nasal swab used to look for antibodies from a previous infection as well as active infection?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:51:06 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3181 on: June 09, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »
I have no idea. The nurse was a little vague about it. The setup was pure Rube Goldberg though. They had a plexiglass screen with 2 holes cut in it with long rubber sleeve things with big gloves on the end of it. I held the swab and the container while she went in to the gloves and then jammed the swab up my nose and then place the swab into the container. Now I'm wondering how often they change out the gloves that were on my side. :rofl:

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3182 on: June 09, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
Is the nasal swab used to look for antibodies from a previous infection as well as active infection?

No. The nasal swab is a culture used to check for active infection.  A blood test is used to check for antibodies from a previous infection.  Much work is being done on other means of checking for antibodies, such as saliva; but so far the commerical antibody tests are blood.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3183 on: June 09, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
Our idiot governor may shut down *expletive deleted*it again and the idiot mayor of the nearest big city to me is panicking and ready to shut down that city again
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3185 on: June 09, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
I kind of thought I might have had it early this year.  In fact, most people I've spoken to have mentioned having a bad cold/respiratory condition in early spring.  In fact, my sister was curious enough to get an antibody test, which came back negative.  I think there was just a nasty non-covid cold that had gone through the area.  I doubt I've had the covid . . . .
I haven't heard of tests available here.

There was a lot of "crud" going around here as well.  I had some sort of upper respiratory thing in late January.  Kept having a cough and nasal drainage.  Finally shook it off.  It was probably just the normal stuff, but you never know.  The Port of Freeport isn't all that far away.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3186 on: June 10, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
I haven't heard of tests available here.

There was a lot of "crud" going around here as well.  I had some sort of upper respiratory thing in late January.  Kept having a cough and nasal drainage.  Finally shook it off.  It was probably just the normal stuff, but you never know.  The Port of Freeport isn't all that far away.

She went through Quest Diagnostics.  Quest offers testing for just about everything and probably has a location near you.  I hadn't realized that a person can just order a test, I always thought it had to go through a doctor or employer or whatnot.  They test for everything from blood type to STDs.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3189 on: June 10, 2020, 04:02:32 PM »
It's a ruse.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3191 on: June 11, 2020, 07:20:57 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/bald-men-higher-risk-severe-case-covid-19-research-finds/

So I am screwed.  It was an honor serving with you.

The chances of you getting run over by a stoned hipster are probably greater than getting covid 19.

You aren't escaping the forum that easily, you get to stick around and suffer like the rest of us  :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3192 on: June 11, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/bald-men-higher-risk-severe-case-covid-19-research-finds/

So I am screwed.  It was an honor serving with you.

So if I read that article right, I'm back to this being a Chinese bioweapon. They designed a virus to kill off all the real men in enemy populations and leave only androgen lacking girly men behind as a submissive slave population.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3193 on: June 11, 2020, 08:42:37 AM »
^^^But on the plus side, their hair will be fabulous.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3194 on: June 11, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »
I'm back to short hair after a visit to the barber yesterday. Ivy League Crew.

My hair was a little too long before the lockdown and then after several months with all the shops closed it grew almost long enough for a pony tail.

It was long and I fancied I looked like a Germanic Berserker ... instead everyone said I looked like a hippy  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3195 on: June 11, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »
So if I read that article right, I'm back to this being a Chinese bioweapon. They designed a virus to kill off all the real men in enemy populations and leave only androgen lacking girly men behind as a submissive slave population.  =D

Why would they bother when the dems have pretty much done that for them for free.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3196 on: June 11, 2020, 05:37:18 PM »
I'm back to short hair after a visit to the barber yesterday. Ivy League Crew.

My hair was a little too long before the lockdown and then after several months with all the shops closed it grew almost long enough for a pony tail.

It was long and I fancied I looked like a Germanic Berserker ... instead everyone said I looked like a hippy  :laugh:

I went by the barber shop I've been using for the last 15 or so years. Seems she closed up shop. The place was cleaned out.  :'(

I went and bought some clippers and will buzz it all off this weekend with a #2 or #3 guard and see how that looks. I'm
Not particularly vain about my hair at my age.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3197 on: June 11, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
My head hurts
    This virus DOES discriminate — because our nation discriminates.

We may be beginning to restart but we’re not repeating a broken status quo.

— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) June 11, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/06/11/woke-stupidity-on-parade-bill-de-blasio-claims-covid-actually-does-discriminate-annnd-omg-stupid-like-this-should-be-painful/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3198 on: June 11, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
Check in for fever, questions and hand me a mask.
The Covid test was singularly unpleasant, swabbing up the nose and sample apparantly taken from somewhere behind the frontal lobe.

Got my Covid test results today, WOO HOO! I'm negative.

;/

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3199 on: June 11, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
Got my Covid test results today, WOO HOO! I'm negative.

;/

Wouldn't it be better if you'd already had it and never knew it? ? ? ?  =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero