Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453368 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3225 on: June 17, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Just need bigger urinals.   =D

There are those who could miss a football field even if they were standing in the middle of it.

One of my pet peeves of life is having to stand in a piss puddle while I take a leak. JHC! How hard is it?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3226 on: June 17, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/878946307/the-rich-have-stopped-spending-and-thats-tanked-the-economy?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR3PMHkn0fSvargFIqTCM2hj2uiip--dPZ5G3vXVeRi9uwFF07CIzT9junk

Everyone needs to get out there and start spending again. Get that money in circulation.

I noticed that even though I wasn't really on total lockdown where I live, and even now that most businesses are open in some way, I wasn't, and am still not, spending like I did pre-virus.

I normally did a once a week Costco run, and I've cut that in half. Not to save money, but just because not going there during the virus got me in the mindset that I simply don't need/want to go there that often anymore.

I would go out and spend on eating out, but the downtown Boise "beer and a burger" type places I like to frequent either have ridiculous rules in place, or are not open for lunch (either temporarily or permanently - I don't know), which is when I would frequent them. It HAS caused me to spend more time at my little local places as a replacement, though none of them sell beer. The food costs half as much as at a brew pub, so while my visitation is the same, the money I put into the economy from eating out is much less.

About the only place I've been throwing dough into the economy is in guns, but part of that is still the newness of firearm availability here in America, and at some point I'll slow down there again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3227 on: June 17, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
There are those who could miss a football field even if they were standing in the middle of it.

One of my pet peeves of life is having to stand in a piss puddle while I take a leak. JHC! How hard is it?

^^^ This. 'Tis one of life's great mysteries, how so many men can miss such a large target.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3228 on: June 17, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Just need bigger urinals.   =D

One of my business ventures involved a 100 x 100 building. A customer came in, smoking a cigarette. After about a minute he asked, "Where is the ashtray?" I told him, "You're standing in it."

The only urinal that is unmissable is one you can stand in. You'd still have to aim to miss your shoes, which brings up the question: How much Covid and other diseases are spread by stepping up to a urinal, standing in everyone's drippings who were there before you, then tracking all that gungus all over the place? No one says to wash your shoes off before you leave the restroom!

Maybe we need a little tray filled with disinfectant to step in as you leave the restroom like they used to have as you stepped out of the shower at the high school gym ...  

This whole Covid thing is just one big debacle wrapped in a fubar, tainted with mendacity, promoted in absurdity, and just plain laughable.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3229 on: June 17, 2020, 10:38:27 AM »

I would go out and spend on eating out, but the downtown Boise "beer and a burger" type places I like to frequent either have ridiculous rules in place, or are not open for lunch (either temporarily or permanently - I don't know), which is when I would frequent them. It HAS caused me to spend more time at my little local places as a replacement, though none of them sell beer. The food costs half as much as at a brew pub, so while my visitation is the same, the money I put into the economy from eating out is much less.

On the upside, your money is probably going to people who need it more and who appreciate your business more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3230 on: June 17, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
On the upside, your money is probably going to people who need it more and who appreciate your business more.

That's how I'm looking at it, and while not fancy, they make some good food, and I've been trying to be better about supporting local business. If I really want a beer, I can do local take out and grab a beer from the fridge. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3231 on: June 17, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
My wife and I probably eat out once a week, and we have not been able to do that for almost three months, until last week.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3232 on: June 17, 2020, 11:13:31 AM »
^^^ This. 'Tis one of life's great mysteries, how so many men can miss such a large target.

And it's not just urinals. Don't know how many I've walked into a restroom only to find the toilet, including the seat, floor, and wall covered in urine.
Not to mention the number of times everything would be cover in diarrhea splatters.

I hate going to public restrooms.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3233 on: June 17, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
One thing I've noticed about the urinal at work.

It's a shitty design.

No matter where you aim there is splash back that escapes and ends up on the floor.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3234 on: June 17, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »

It's a shitty design.

No matter where you aim there is splash back that escapes and ends up on the floor.

That's better than it ending up on your trousers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3235 on: June 17, 2020, 09:33:10 PM »

It's a shitty design.

There are lots of poor designs.  The one I hate the most is essentially a toilet full of water that has no lid or seat.  Splashes badly and then the flush is so violent is splashes more.  It bothered me in college that the design was in an engineering building. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3236 on: June 18, 2020, 07:37:42 AM »
Sorry, but bad urinal design does NOT explain most of the piss that ends up on the floor in the men's room.

I worked on my group president's staff for some time back in the 2000s when I was with SAIC. Most of my coworkers in that office were former high-ranking military and civilian government people -- at least 2 admirals, several generals, a bunch of colonels, Navy captains, a former deputy director of the CIA, a former head of Bell Labs theoretical projects division...

After lunch I wouldn't go anywhere near the men's room on our floor. It was repulsive -- the floors around the urinals were literally awash in piss.

My theory is that most of these clowns had spent far too much time in their high military positions and got used to some 18 year old newly enlisted kid running in with a bucket and mop.

Out of sheer disgust one day I put signs on the walls above the urinals "STAND CLOSER, GUYS. IT'S NOT AS LONG AS YOU THINK."

They didn't last long, but they did get a chuckle. I never fessed up to putting them there, and the situation in the men's room did NOT improve.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3237 on: June 18, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
Sorry, but bad urinal design does NOT explain most of the piss that ends up on the floor in the men's room.

I worked on my group president's staff for some time back in the 2000s when I was with SAIC. Most of my coworkers in that office were former high-ranking military and civilian government people -- at least 2 admirals, several generals, a bunch of colonels, Navy captains, a former deputy director of the CIA, a former head of Bell Labs theoretical projects division...

After lunch I wouldn't go anywhere near the men's room on our floor. It was repulsive -- the floors around the urinals were literally awash in piss.

My theory is that most of these clowns had spent far too much time in their high military positions and got used to some 18 year old newly enlisted kid running in with a bucket and mop.

Out of sheer disgust one day I put signs on the walls above the urinals "STAND CLOSER, GUYS. IT'S NOT AS LONG AS YOU THINK."

They didn't last long, but they did get a chuckle. I never fessed up to putting them there, and the situation in the men's room did NOT improve.

If they figured out it was you who put up the signs, they'd have told you to piss off. =D

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3238 on: June 18, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »
Better to be pissed off than pissed on.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3239 on: June 18, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »

I agree with that, but I am an engineer so design issues occur to me.  People can be pretty disgusting.  I am never sure if they are deliberately disgusting or completely oblivious to the mess they are making or the smell.  I tend to assume deliberately disgusting. 

One plant I used to work at had issues for a time of someone spreading feces around the walls of the contractor's bathroom.  I don't know what kind mind it takes to do something like that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3240 on: June 18, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »
I agree with that, but I am an engineer so design issues occur to me.  People can be pretty disgusting.  I am never sure if they are deliberately disgusting or completely oblivious to the mess they are making or the smell.  I tend to assume deliberately disgusting. 

One plant I used to work at had issues for a time of someone spreading feces around the walls of the contractor's bathroom.  I don't know what kind mind it takes to do something like that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3241 on: June 18, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »

Someone in our building, and I'm pretty sure who, apparently just guesses at direction and flow. The restroom outside his area is always a urine-covered mess, both urinal and toilet.

At the gun shop I worked for back in 2011-12 they had a sign above the toilet. It was a standard target with a decent grouping sporting the words, "If you can group under an inch at 100 yards, you can hit an 18" toilet at two feet. Accuracy counts."  It was still a mess by the end of day. Along with a steady stream of prostate-challenged old geezers and people who were just plain nasty, we apparently had some regulars with bowel issues, too. Thankfully, the restrooms had floor drains. I installed a hose bibb on the hot water line so I could shower the whole room in sanitizer and simply rinse away any remaining detritus.

The university has been on a water conservation kick for years, beginning with restrooms (And rightfully so. Water is a precious commodity in the semi-arid plains). Unfortunately the genius in charge had the bright idea to just swap out valves on existing fixtures. A low-flow valve on a toilet designed for pre-conservation era water volumes is... bad. The result was a rash of clogged lines which necessitated tearing out walls and jackhammering up foundations to fix. The estimate was that the repairs, emergency service calls, and general increases in day-to-day upkeep totaled three or four times what simply swapping fixtures would have cost. It also resulted in about 50 percent more actual water usage than before because people were flushing four or five times to get things flowing versus a single flush before. Their response? Installing waterless urinals, but without the equipment, supplies, or custodial training necessary to keep the units properly serviced because it was "too expensive". The clogs were no longer a problem but the smell was horrific. Round three was pint-per-flush urinals. Now we finally have functional urinals that can be cleaned and serviced in a traditional manner. All it took was eight years and about six times the money that swapping to low-volume units would have cost in the first place. The low-flow valves on old toilets was never resolved and is an ongoing, and still very expensive, issue.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:03:03 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3242 on: June 18, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
^^^This is my interesting plumbing knowledge for the day.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3243 on: June 18, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
I can see that none of you complaining about urinals has ever been in a high use communal women’s bathroom. Joys of the military cleaning up after someone else and/or picking up thousands of cigarette butts while not being a smoker. During firefighting training on ship it might have cost the navy money but I was for sure breathing clean air from my breathing apparatus, simulation be damned whilst in a 150 female living space. Eewwwww
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3244 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
I can see that none of you complaining about urinals has ever been in a high use communal women’s bathroom. Joys of the military cleaning up after someone else and/or picking up thousands of cigarette butts while not being a smoker. During firefighting training on ship it might have cost the navy money but I was for sure breathing clean air from my breathing apparatus, simulation be damned whilst in a 150 female living space. Eewwwww

So is it the same, worse or better than the men's?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3245 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
Someone in our building, and I'm pretty sure who, apparently just guesses at direction and flow. The restroom outside his area is always a urine-covered mess, both urinal and toilet.

At the gun shop I worked for back in 2011-12 they had a sign above the toilet. It was a standard target with a decent grouping sporting the words, "If you can group under an inch at 100 yards, you can hit an 18" toilet at two feet. Accuracy counts."  It was still a mess by the end of day.

"Aim small, miss small"

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3246 on: June 18, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
"Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!"
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3247 on: June 18, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
Going back to discussions many pages ago, it appears that PPE is becoming available again at normal prices. I simultaneously today got an ad from Harbor Freight advertising nitrile gloves (which I'm low on) and also found the N95 prefilters for the 3M half mask I wear for spraying on Amazon for a pretty normal price.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3248 on: June 18, 2020, 10:26:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUv99uO9DA

Yeah, that's not gonna go over well.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3249 on: June 18, 2020, 10:57:14 PM »
The university has been on a water conservation kick for years, beginning with restrooms (And rightfully so. Water is a precious commodity in the semi-arid plains). Unfortunately the genius in charge had the bright idea to just swap out valves on existing fixtures. A low-flow valve on a toilet designed for pre-conservation era water volumes is... bad. The result was a rash of clogged lines which necessitated tearing out walls and jackhammering up foundations to fix. The estimate was that the repairs, emergency service calls, and general increases in day-to-day upkeep totaled three or four times what simply swapping fixtures would have cost. It also resulted in about 50 percent more actual water usage than before because people were flushing four or five times to get things flowing versus a single flush before. Their response? Installing waterless urinals, but without the equipment, supplies, or custodial training necessary to keep the units properly serviced because it was "too expensive". The clogs were no longer a problem but the smell was horrific. Round three was pint-per-flush urinals. Now we finally have functional urinals that can be cleaned and serviced in a traditional manner. All it took was eight years and about six times the money that swapping to low-volume units would have cost in the first place. The low-flow valves on old toilets was never resolved and is an ongoing, and still very expensive, issue.

We had a similar issue at an office building where I worked. They had us change all the aerators in the bathroom sinks to get the building LEED Green-certified (or Lee Greenwood certified, or whatever it's called). Plumbing clogs went way up, and we had to go and change them all back.

Still got to have the snazzy sticker on the front of the building though. Yay us!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife