Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453716 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4600 on: December 18, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
Essential workers are "disproportionately minorities"?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4601 on: December 18, 2020, 10:15:24 AM »
Essential workers are "disproportionately minorities"?

Essential Workers is Lib-Speak for "The poor folks that bring us the things". So yes.

I really pissed off my liberal family when I opined this fall that the US hadn't had a shutdown. The US had rich people staying home while poor folks brought them stuff.  Apparently that wasn't a mirror they wanted to look to closely at.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4602 on: December 18, 2020, 10:22:00 AM »
Essential Workers is Lib-Speak for "The poor folks that bring us the things". So yes.

I really pissed off my liberal family when I opined this fall that the US hadn't had a shutdown. The US had rich people staying home while poor folks brought them stuff.  Apparently that wasn't a mirror they wanted to look to closely at.

You could even change that to "privileged people". A Fed GS-9 who gets to stay home and get paid might not be rich, but they still have more "privilege" than the local Walmart cashier showing up for work every day for low pay and a 1000% greater chance of getting infected by the bioweapon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4603 on: December 18, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »

Is it just me or does "leveling the playing field" sound a bit like "removing those with a particular skin color?"  Seriously, am I way off base?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4604 on: December 18, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
Is it just me or does "leveling the playing field" sound a bit like "removing those with a particular skin color?"  Seriously, am I way off base?

I've noticed it too
Some of the more radical rhetoric coming out of the left lately has been hinting more and more is that if whites just disappeared, or at the very least bow down to their POC superiors and masters,  the world would be much better place. Much of it worded scarcely similar to Nazi propaganda.  

But I think in the above case "level the playing field" they really mean whites giving everything they stole and then some from blacks back in the form of $$$$$$$$.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:42:17 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4605 on: December 18, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Let's YOU and HIM fight!

Who is stoking, suggesting, teaching, justifying, financing this tribal warfare?

Who is preaching unity and equality of all people against the heritage population and their allies?

Who has the most to gain by open conflict between the coalition of the minorities and the heritage population?

Who thinks they can control and direct the coalition of the minorities?

Who has the most to gain by destroying the influence of the heritage population and those who are sympathetic to them?

I have questions but no definitive answers.

The target should be the command & control center attacking America and not their foot soldiers and willing dupes.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4606 on: December 18, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »
Let's YOU and HIM fight!

Who is stoking, suggesting, teaching, justifying, financing this tribal warfare?

Who is preaching unity and equality of all people against the heritage population and their allies?

Who has the most to gain by open conflict between the coalition of the minorities and the heritage population?

Who thinks they can control and direct the coalition of the minorities?

Who has the most to gain by destroying the influence of the heritage population and those who are sympathetic to them?

I have questions but no definitive answers.

The target should be the command & control center attacking America and not their foot soldiers and willing dupes.

While I don't think they're the root cause, though they are happy to help, I know who has the most gain from it. Hint: It's same people who just so happen gave us Covid 19

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4607 on: December 18, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
The rot within the US is disturbingly similar to the rot that overtook the Roman Empire.

But that's a topic for another thread. Back to Covid 19 although there are similarities there too
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4608 on: December 18, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
We are now entering into the vaccine "full court press" mode.

I shudder to think what is next if they don't get enough willing vaccine volunteers.

They will have to accelerate their plans to enforce compliance.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4609 on: December 18, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
I suspect it'll be kinda organic.  Once enough people have the vaccine you'll start to see airlines, trains, hotels, sporting events, concerts, some restaurants,  parties, parades, cruise ships, and the like requiring proof of the shot from their customers.  The Gov won't have to mandate it, private companies will do it for them from a mix of actual belief in the shot, virtue signaling, and fear of liability lawsuits.

You won't HAVE to get one, it'll just be annoying to do anything without one.

ETA: once final FDA approval is received I could see employers mandating it for any job that deals with the public as well.  Just to avoid the liability of "your employee gave me COVID!!!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4610 on: December 18, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »
I just attended the County COVID briefing as the first doses of vaccine arrive in the County and are being distributed today.  We are warning our employees to try and schedule the second dose of vaccine before a day off.  There is a pretty good chance that people will experience some symptoms after the second dose that can make them feel poorly for the next day.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4611 on: December 18, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
I just attended the County COVID briefing as the first doses of vaccine arrive in the County and are being distributed today.  We are warning our employees to try and schedule the second dose of vaccine before a day off.  There is a pretty good chance that people will experience some symptoms after the second dose that can make them feel poorly for the next day.  

Everything I've read makes this sound pretty similar to the Anthrax vaccine,  which I've had several times.

It's pretty unpleasant, for a day or two.  You probably won't be bedridden,  but expect to feel pretty cruddy.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4612 on: December 18, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
During SWAT training it was mentioned that doses of the vaccine were offered to county administrators and emergency personnel.  Four accepted.

I think a lot of people feel like a rushed vaccine may not be as safe as is claimed and are wanting someone else to get it first to see how well it works and how bad the side effects are.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4613 on: December 18, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
During SWAT training it was mentioned that doses of the vaccine were offered to county administrators and emergency personnel.  Four accepted.

I think a lot of people feel like a rushed vaccine may not be as safe as is claimed and are wanting someone else to get it first to see how well it works and how bad the side effects are.

Meh.  Enough people have gotten it to be pretty sure about the immediate side effects.

I'm unsure about long term effects,  but no one will know about those for decades.  Gotta make a decision before then. Assuming that we actually get a functional choice.

Mrs. Mush got informed today that she up for her first shot next week.  I'm expecting the DOD will get around to me March-ish.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4614 on: December 18, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »
Everything I've read makes this sound pretty similar to the Anthrax vaccine,  which I've had several times.

It's pretty unpleasant, for a day or two.  You probably won't be bedridden,  but expect to feel pretty cruddy.

I am wondering if this will be the second Shingrix redux, which I had earlier this month, and made me feel pretty crappy for 1.5 days.  I will definitely report back when I get it, which will probably be in January or February with the second immune three weeks later.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4615 on: December 18, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »

I'm unsure about long term effects

AOC starts sounding reasonable  :laugh:
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4616 on: December 18, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
I wonder what % of the population will need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. I know it varies, with measles it is about 95% of the population. As far as I can see we do not have herd immunity from other corona virus types so why should this one be different. Same with the flu, in spite of a robust immunization program every year it still infects and kills people. Just some random thoughts in my head as I try to sort the wheat from the chaff.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4617 on: December 18, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
I am wondering if this will be the second Shingrix redux, which I had earlier this month, and made me feel pretty crappy for 1.5 days.  I will definitely report back when I get it, which will probably be in January or February with the second immune three weeks later.

I did the Shingrix series earlier this year. No side effects or after effects at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4618 on: December 18, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »
We are warning our employees to try and schedule the second dose of vaccine before a day off.  There is a pretty good chance that people will experience some symptoms after the second dose that can make them feel poorly for the next day. 

It's pretty unpleasant, for a day or two.  You probably won't be bedridden,  but expect to feel pretty cruddy.

If my employer requires me to take a vaccine that is expected to make me sick they can damn well give me a free paid sick day or two to deal with the after effects.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4619 on: December 18, 2020, 05:44:36 PM »
Here's some COVID vaccine action for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNzbAClpFs4
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4620 on: December 18, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
The Moderna vaccine is available now, and news to me - apparently Dolly Parton helped fund it. She sure is a great gal.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/12/18/heres-why-the-just-approved-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-is-better-than-pfizers-for-rural-hospitals-and-smaller-providers/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4621 on: December 18, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
Here's some COVID vaccine action for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNzbAClpFs4

Play the one where the nurse doesn't actually get the vaccine and is fine  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4622 on: December 19, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
In one of the more ironic turns of events a customer called and lodged a complaint about me at work.

She was offended that after I answered her questions I informed her that if she did not pull her mask up over her nose while at the registers they would refuse to check her out.

Technically, I was supposed to refuse her service myself but I figured after we interacted and her needs were met it would be an easier conversation.

It is company policy and I  was just trying to give her a heads up before she got up there.

Clown world.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4623 on: December 19, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
I guess new strains/mutations are emerging. I haven't read anything on it, but how are the current vaccines regarding strains? Are they somewhat "broad spectrum" for lack of a better layman's term?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-tier-4-lockdowns-new-covid-strain-surge-cases

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4624 on: December 19, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »
I guess new strains/mutations are emerging. I haven't read anything on it, but how are the current vaccines regarding strains? Are they somewhat "broad spectrum" for lack of a better layman's term?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-tier-4-lockdowns-new-covid-strain-surge-cases

Viruses will Virus. I don't know why this is not being hit on more. There is a reason people get the common cold year after year and why so much research is put into "next year's flu strain" before coming up with the accepted vaccination. Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) will be around and around and around.

bob