Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453239 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5600 on: August 15, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
Be worth the 10 bucks just to see what kind of looks I would get walking into Kroger wearing this https://centerfiresystems.com/product/polish-mc-1-gas-mask-with-filter-and-bag-mil0016

Need to find a NBC suit as well
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5601 on: August 17, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »
The local liberal toilet paper had a slew of "OMG the virus!" stories this morning. It's like they're trying to cause hysteria.

The virus will make you bald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article253522309.html?ac_cid=DM514590&ac_bid=1475354410

And just a few of the other headlines:

READ MORE
Despite obstacles, Native Americans have the nation’s highest COVID-19 vaccination rate
Deadly COVID-linked condition in kids poised for a comeback
Pfizer submits early data on boosters’ protection to FDA
Wildfire smoke linked to spike in COVID-19 cases, researchers say
De Blasio: COVID vaccine mandate for NYC restaurants, bars, gyms and concerts kicks off Tuesday
One person stabbed as COVID-19 anti-vaxxers and counterdemonstrators clash in front of LA City Hall
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5602 on: August 17, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »
Why does it seem lock downs result in increased COVID cases?  I heard that about the lock downs in Australia. 

I am speculating that you might restrict movement by most people, but you still have workers making deliveries and preparing food/merchandise to ship so you have a small number of people making contact with lots of people.  If some of that small number pick up the virus, then you have them spreading it further to people who are spending more time cooped up indoors.
Could just be more testing of the sample population as well.

In my area, very few people wear masks, but most everyone is still social distancing and coughing and such in public happens much less than I remember in the past. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5603 on: August 17, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »
I also read this morning that some trendy Boise restaurant is the first to only allow diners who show proof of vaccination, or after a lot of blowback, also a negative covid test within the last 48 hours. Though I don't know why I would bother with the hassle of a covid test just to go to a lefty progressive restaurant.

The owners were very upset because *three* people called them nazis. They did not explain how they would filter out vaccinated people who are re-infected with covid. I guess I can't totally blame the owners, as the article said that they were basing this on customer concerns.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5604 on: August 17, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
What about an antibody test?  Since a lot of people get it but don't get sick. 

A coworker was on vacation last week.  His wife came down with it I believe as they got back.  She was hit hard, but seems to be slowly improving.  Spent the weekend in the hospital and is still there on oxygen.  He isn't sick and tested negative after spending the previous days on the road with her. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5607 on: August 18, 2021, 08:36:02 AM »
Note this is Bloomberg, not Fox or anybody on the right.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/08/17/a-never-ending-nightmare-new-zealand-implements-new-nationwide-lockdown-over-one-covid-19-case/

The time to lock down is when there is one case - that’s how you get back to zero. That’s what NZ is doing and it’s a proven method of eliminating COVID. Waiting until you have thousands of cases makes lockdowns less likely to actually succeed.

The other video you posted is an inspection of someone who is quarantined - it’s not illegal to get fresh air. If you’re subject to quarantine it means you tested positive for Covid or are a close contact of someone who did, and that means you’re required to stay at home to not infect other people. That’s a reasonable thing to do even in America; it’s just taken more seriously in Australia on account of the relatively low rate of infection as compared to the US.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5608 on: August 18, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
The time to lock down is when there is one case - that’s how you get back to zero. That’s what NZ is doing and it’s a proven method of eliminating COVID. Waiting until you have thousands of cases makes lockdowns less likely to actually succeed.

The other video you posted is an inspection of someone who is quarantined - it’s not illegal to get fresh air. If you’re subject to quarantine it means you tested positive for Covid or are a close contact of someone who did, and that means you’re required to stay at home to not infect other people. That’s a reasonable thing to do even in America; it’s just taken more seriously in Australia on account of the relatively low rate of infection as compared to the US.
Where is it proven?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5609 on: August 18, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »
Where is it proven?

Both New Zealand and Australia, which have spent the majority of the past year fully open and also with no community transmission of COVID.

There have been outbreaks from international arrivals, and short lockdowns brought case numbers back to zero over the past year.

Failure to implement lockdowns is proven to result in uncontrolled spread. New South Wales did not enter a lockdown until almost four weeks into its latest outbreak. That’s the cause of the NZ outbreak and the high number of cases in NSW. NZ is simply not repeating the NSW Government’s mistake.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5610 on: August 18, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
I seems the problem is... covid is never going away.  Is NZ going to shut their whole country down every time it pops up again for eternity?

What is the end game for New Zealand?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5611 on: August 18, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »
I seems the problem is... covid is never going away.  Is NZ going to shut their whole country down every time it pops up again for eternity?

More Govt power appears to be the answer.  Another problem that Govt is the cause of and the answer to.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5612 on: August 18, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »

WE WILL NEVER be back to ZERO COVID.

It will always be here in the environment. Here, there, everywhere.  In Russia, China, America, and Austealia.
Everywhere.

The Aussies  have gone stark raving nuts in their attempts to achieve the IMPOSSIBLE.   No talking to neighbors .... masks on while drinking :O (how does that work? ?) and using the military to enforce lockdown.

It would almost be understandable if this was THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, a fictional alien microscopic bug brought to earth in a satellite in a novel by Michael Crighten that was made into a movie in 1971.  That was science fiction.
What one might not remember from the movie, (if you ever did even watch it) is in the few minutes between initial infection with Andromeda and certain death,  it drove the afflicted insane.

As I said, that was science fiction.  It wasn't real.  Thank God.

Covid 19 is real, of course,  but nowhere near as fatal, even the D strain.  But it is sorta like Crighton's mythical microscopic monster in one way:
IT IS DRIVING EVERYONE INSANE ......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5613 on: August 18, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »
It will always be here in the environment. Here, there, everywhere.  In Russia, China, America, and Austealia.
Everywhere.

And what's more, even if we stomped it out somehow, another virus would just pop up later eventually anyway. There's no victory, and even if there were, it would not be a lasting victory. Because infectious disease is a thing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5614 on: August 18, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
"I guess I can't totally blame the owners, as the article said that they were basing this on customer concerns."  Ben

I'd wager the restaurant is lying about that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5615 on: August 18, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
^^^If anything good comes from COVID, I hope it is better knowledge of how to address the next infectious disease epidemic that comes along.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5616 on: August 18, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
^^^If anything good comes from COVID, I hope it is better knowledge of how to address the next infectious disease epidemic that comes along.

I don't think we'll get that.  But I think mRNA vaccines might be a very good thing -- like a cure for certain types of cancer good.  They could also be dangerous; powerful tools usually are.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5618 on: August 18, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
I don't think we'll get that.  But I think mRNA vaccines might be a very good thing -- like a cure for certain types of cancer good.  They could also be dangerous; powerful tools usually are.
At the very least, half the population is now a test bed for them so we are very likely to see any issues if the information doesn't get buried. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5619 on: August 18, 2021, 04:40:11 PM »
Yes.  Because we will always have more arrogant govt bureaucrats running labs that create more of them.   =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5620 on: August 18, 2021, 05:28:18 PM »
DON'T THESE *expletive deleted*ing PEOPLE HAVE ENOUGH TOILET PAPER YET?!?!?!?!?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/costco-shoppers-see-toilet-paper-water-shortage-delta-variant

The dog food shortage is a little disconcerting to me though, as I need a bag this week. I'll see how things look when I'm there on Friday.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5621 on: August 18, 2021, 05:54:57 PM »
I have my TP stash and fully stocked in the bathrooms.  I may need to buy some water.  It is hurricane season anyway and we have a near miss in progress sort of.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5622 on: August 18, 2021, 11:18:27 PM »
And...

It is not magical.

A lot of people don't catch it.

About 95% of the people who catch it don't notice it.

Of that, about 95% of the people who notice it are okay with Nyquil and Sweet Oblivion until it blows over.

Some of them think that it is bad enough to go to their doctor - maybe 5%. Most of them get told to go home and take Nyquil. Some of them get admitted to hospitals.

If they are lucky, they get high-flow 02 via CPAP.

If they get vents, they are in trouble - mostly because vents suck.

Some of the rest, primarily terminally ill geriatrics, won't make it.

Which is pretty much the case for the past few decades.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5623 on: August 18, 2021, 11:21:12 PM »

For most of the year since COVID hit New Zealand has had no Covid. Shutting down for a week or two a year until there are better vaccines or treatments as opposed to the mass economic and social disruption that comes from uncontrolled COVID is an easy trade.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5624 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »

WE WILL NEVER be back to ZERO COVID.

Everywhere.

The Aussies  have gone stark raving nuts in their attempts to achieve the IMPOSSIBLE.   No talking to neighbors .... masks on while drinking :O (how does that work? ?) and using the military to enforce lockdown.

It would almost be understandable if this was THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, a fictional alien microscopic bug brought to earth in a satellite in a novel by Michael Crighten that was made into a movie in 1971.  That was science fiction.
What one might not remember from the movie, (if you ever did even watch it) is in the few minutes between initial infection with Andromeda and certain death,  it drove the afflicted insane.

As I said, that was science fiction.  It wasn't real.  Thank God.

Covid 19 is real, of course,  but nowhere near as fatal, even the D strain.  But it is sorta like Crighton's mythical microscopic monster in one way:
IT IS DRIVING EVERYONE INSANE ......

First off, some countries do substantially live with no COVID. Not every country in the world failed to control it like the US, and not every public health system is as incapable of control. On the numbers it does look like failure to stop Covid is inevitable in the US, but countries with more advanced public health systems need not give up and accept that they’ll always have Covid.

In terms of ongoing control measures, food safety, agricultural quarantine, and medical hygiene all
cost huge amounts of money and time. Should we give them up because food poisoning still happens, because farms still get coronavirus and other outbreaks, and because infections still
Happen in hospital? Does that make all investment in controlling those infections a waste?  And if not, why is COVID special in being allowed to run uncontrolled?