Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453726 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5800 on: August 26, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
Frankly, as long as you're not taking stupid lethal doses, what does it really matter? I remember when the media twisted the whole Trump press conference on hcq and "injecting light" all over the place, and some idiot got fed fish meds by his loving spouse, and DRT...

As things fall out, it seems to me that the HCQ is decent as a prophylactic, but it will never test as an antiviral...

And there's the rub... The "smart people" insisted that it be considered an antiviral... And nothing else.

I think I'll have another vodka tonic...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5801 on: August 26, 2021, 09:28:33 PM »
The fear propaganda being pumped into my cellphone was proclaiming America might hit 100,000 covid deaths total! 

If only I didn't know that nearly 2 years of "100,000 covid deaths" is still less than one year's total influenza and pneumonia deaths (120,000+).

Way to inadvertently say that super special covid is less than half the problem of regular yearly flu and pneumonia.

But but big scary number!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5802 on: August 26, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »

So who is that Ad Hominum insult aimed at exactly?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5803 on: August 26, 2021, 09:55:51 PM »
The fear propaganda being pumped into my cellphone was proclaiming America might hit 100,000 covid deaths total! 

If only I didn't know that nearly 2 years of "100,000 covid deaths" is still less than one year's total influenza and pneumonia deaths (120,000+).

Way to inadvertently say that super special covid is less than half the problem of regular yearly flu and pneumonia.
I thought the official number was something like 650k.

I think they are saying 100k more covid deaths than we already have had.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5804 on: August 26, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
The real bottom line?

"With" or "From" - that's the problem?

When most of the folks dying "with" it are over the average life expectancy, one must... adhere to the wishes of the media. Yeah, that's right.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5805 on: August 27, 2021, 02:31:26 AM »
Nope.  The widespread and indiscriminate COVID lockdowns do not have any historical precedent in the US, and I doubt if they have any real precedent in world history in peacetime.  If you think there is some specific example that contradicts that please feel free to point it out.

Posted earlier in this thread: https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/administrative_law/08gs_winner_essay.pdf

Your analysis of the legal history of quarantines and lockdowns is simply wrong, there’s not much more to be said there and if you read the link you’ll get a short history of the expansive public health emergency powers available and their history in the USA.

However, as I've said before, lockdowns and PPE do not eliminate COVID in any way except locally and temporarily.  They are strictly delaying tactics.  Local herd immunity - if that is even possible with COVID - produced by a combination of vaccination, natural immunity, recovered COVID cases, and whatever prophylactic treatments are effective is the only way to enduringly eliminate a disease that has spread to such an extent.  I have mocked China for their heavy-handed reaction to COVID, but as extreme as it was that response was too little too late to prevent COVID escape ... assuming for the moment that they were actually intending to extinguish it.

If this is true, how do you explain the staggering difference in per capita infection, serious complications, and death between the USA and Australia/NZ?  And the long periods of zero Covid? The problem here is that you’re ignoring the actual figures to declare that the rest of the world is on its way to becoming like the US. There is absolutely no way to explain why the lockdowns resulted in no infection despite fully open economies if they are not in fact effective at stopping Covid. And their having worked for 12 months successfully when Covid took half that time to ravage the US.

You're right, the relative severity of COVID does play a huge role in to how accepting people are of the response.  That is as it should be, I think.

But let's play this out for a second.  Exactly what "science on COVID" do you claim that I don't believe?  Please note I'm not talking about Bogie, or some other strawman.

First, you didn’t answer the question. What’s an acceptable death or illness rate to justify measures that are effective to stop the disease? 

My own personal answer is, and this goes to your question about why granny can die of the flu-  one that doesn’t overwhelm hospital capacity, and that is comparable to seasonal flu. We’ve made decisions as a society about how much investment in hospital infrastructure we need over a long period of time, and diseases that force us to have never much more or choose mass casualties should be candidates for emergency controls. That’s a reasonable starting place, and voters should get to decide by having a chance to replace governments responsible for the disease response.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5806 on: August 27, 2021, 03:50:43 AM »
Just read an e-mail from the head of Human Resources for the municipality where I work. Our town-wide infection rate is back in the red zone for the second consecutive week so, beginning on Monday and until further notice, we all have to wear masks at work.

Should be interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5807 on: August 27, 2021, 06:33:10 AM »
Ivermectin is now recommended for treatment of Covid-19 by Tokyo's Medical Association.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWOpFk1GGk
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5809 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:02 AM »
Posted earlier in this thread: https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/administrative_law/08gs_winner_essay.pdf
Yes, as mentioned previously I read it.  And I just reread it to be sure I wasn't missing something.  Did you even briefly review it before posting it and asserting that it supported your argument? 

Assuming you did, exactly what part of that paper do you think either supports or demonstrates historical precedent for general lockdowns?  If anything, that paper argues for limits and restrictions on quarantines and lockdowns to prevent abuse ...

Your analysis of the legal history of quarantines and lockdowns is simply wrong, there’s not much more to be said there and if you read the link you’ll get a short history of the expansive public health emergency powers available and their history in the USA.
Like I said, I read your link.  If you were to read it you would see that it simply does not say what you are claiming it to say.

If this is true, how do you explain the staggering difference in per capita infection, serious complications, and death between the USA and Australia/NZ?  And the long periods of zero Covid? The problem here is that you’re ignoring the actual figures to declare that the rest of the world is on its way to becoming like the US. There is absolutely no way to explain why the lockdowns resulted in no infection despite fully open economies if they are not in fact effective at stopping Covid. And their having worked for 12 months successfully when Covid took half that time to ravage the US.
I have never met someone so articulate whose literacy I doubt.  I have never claimed that you can't possibly achieve local and temporary zero COVID through totalitarian control of a society.  My complaints are exactly that it takes totalitarian control of society and that the society has to be willing to lock down again and again whenever the disease inevitably escapes.  As I said, temporary and local, my friend. 

Yes, Australia can have zero COVID but only while maintaining eternal vigilance and being willing to go full gulag at a moment's notice.  The police should not be used as a permanent answer to a medical issue.

First, you didn’t answer the question. What’s an acceptable death or illness rate to justify measures that are effective to stop the disease?
:rofl:
A thousand apologies.  You rarely answer direct questions, so I had no idea that was expected.  I'm not nearly smart enough to think I have a fair answer. 

I note that you have ceded the emotional "granny" argument as you are totally willing to decide when it is okay for other people to die.  I guess it is okay when you do it.

My own personal answer is, and this goes to your question about why granny can die of the flu-  one that doesn’t overwhelm hospital capacity, and that is comparable to seasonal flu. We’ve made decisions as a society about how much investment in hospital infrastructure we need over a long period of time, and diseases that force us to have never much more or choose mass casualties should be candidates for emergency controls. That’s a reasonable starting place, and voters should get to decide by having a chance to replace governments responsible for the disease response.
Seasonal flu does overwhelm hospitals during bad years.  When it does do you immediately call for locking down society until zero flu is achieved?  And then locking down again every time someone catches a flu, because it might spread to the point that hospitals are overwhelmed?

Further, do you foresee maintaining zero COVID even once everyone in Australia has been given the opportunity to receive COVID vaccination?  At that point hospitals will be unlikely to be overwhelmed and therefore your justification no longer applies.

I've heard concerns that aboriginal Australians are at particular risk of COVID to explain the severity of the lockdowns but also that supplies of vaccines provided to aboriginal communities have been severely limited compared to the rest of Australia.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5810 on: August 27, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
So who is that Ad Hominum insult aimed at exactly?
I don't know.  I have noticed a handful of rewrites of that flag trying to poke fun.  Some are mildly amusing.  That one came from Inrangetv's Instagram. 

I looked a little closer at the comments on InrangeTV's instagram posts.  I like their gun content on youtube and I realize Karl is not at all conservative, but the comments on the instagram page seem to be a bunch of leftists attacking imaginary conservatives who are all stupid rednecks.  Not worth wasting time with it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:45:50 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5811 on: August 27, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
I assume that RFK Jr. is still a Democrat, but here's an article by him that I found enlightening:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/mainstream-media-fda-approval-pfizer-vaccine/

This is the first I've realized that there isn't one "the Pfizer" vaccine, and that the Pfizer vaccine that was just approved is not the same Pfizer vaccine that the VA administered to me in January. The legal questions about whether or not they can force adults to accept "it" are very interesting. I hope someone brings a test case lawsuit sooner rather than later.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the Pfizer Corminaty vaccine?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5812 on: August 27, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
From what I gather they are (supposed to be) identical.

The approval was written to allow them to finish using up the emergency approval stock by extending the emergency approval and then transition into the approved stock as the older stock is depleted. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5813 on: August 27, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »
I assume that RFK Jr. is still a Democrat, but here's an article by him that I found enlightening:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/mainstream-media-fda-approval-pfizer-vaccine/

This is the first I've realized that there isn't one "the Pfizer" vaccine, and that the Pfizer vaccine that was just approved is not the same Pfizer vaccine that the VA administered to me in January. The legal questions about whether or not they can force adults to accept "it" are very interesting. I hope someone brings a test case lawsuit sooner rather than later.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the Pfizer Corminaty vaccine?

They are the same drug.  One is produced under, and packaged with the trademarked brand name, and one was produced under the EUA, which didn't have the trademarked name.

The article you quoted says that the two are legally distinct to the FDA, not that they are actually different medications.

I suspect that article is grasping at straws, and the legal questions and assertaions it makes are not as solid as it thinks. 

FWIW Here's the FDA's press release:
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-covid-19-vaccine

with money quote:
Comirnaty has the same formulation as the EUA vaccine and is administered as a series of two doses, three weeks apart.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5814 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
Now we are getting patients demanding that we write them referrals for the monoclonal antibody treatment.  Unfortunately, they do not meet the current criteria for treatment and much wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs.  The patients want it prophylactically but do not meet any of the treatment criteria. 

The local facility offering it posts this on their webpage for patients interested in it:

Monoclonal antibody treatment is available to individuals who:

Are high risk** for developing severe COVID-19 and
Have a positive COVID-19 test and have not yet been admitted to the hospital and
Are 12 years of age or older (and at least 88 pounds)

Post-exposure preventive monoclonal antibodies are available to those who have been exposed (consistent with the CDC's close contact criteria)* and who are:

High risk** for developing severe COVID-19 and
12 years of age or older (and at least 88 pounds) and
Not fully vaccinated or vaccinated but immunocompromised

*In some cases, direct exposure isn't a criterion. If you meet the criteria above and are at high risk of exposure to an individual infected because of an occurrence of infection in other individuals in the same institutional setting (for example, nursing homes or prisons), you are eligible for post-exposure preventive monoclonal antibodies.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5815 on: August 27, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »
MillCreek, can you mail me a few doses of monoclonal antibody treatment?

Thought it might be a good idea to have some in the first aid kit.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5816 on: August 27, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
MillCreek, can you mail me a few doses of monoclonal antibody treatment?

Thought it might be a good idea to have some in the first aid kit.

You can get ivermectin at Fleet and Farm!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5817 on: August 27, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »
Do any of y'all think that you were never exposed to it during the past 18 months?
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5818 on: August 27, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
Already have that in my dog's heartworm medication.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5819 on: August 27, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »
My F&F has a sign up by the horse stuff, "Not for human consumption". 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5820 on: August 27, 2021, 12:48:49 PM »

Which form? Apparently there are two forms, one of which is reported (by a veterinarian) to be toxic in humans. That's only one source and I don't know how credible it is, but it's a consideration.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5821 on: August 27, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »
My F&F has a sign up by the horse stuff, "Not for human consumption".

The bottles of Fish Mox (amoxicillin) antibiotics say the same thing. I've treated myself and my daughter with it, and we both survived.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5822 on: August 27, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »
The horse wormer is too concentrated.  Buy the sheep kind.  I have no idea what an appropriate dose for humans is, but you should be able to get there with the sheep formulation without poisoning yourself.  (not that I recommend it)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5823 on: August 27, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
If I were going that route I'd try and get a prescription from the Frontline doctors.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5824 on: August 27, 2021, 06:50:42 PM »

Conspiracy Co-worker keeps hammering your same talking point. That's how you know there's no there there.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife