Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453720 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6750 on: March 08, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6751 on: March 08, 2022, 06:02:44 PM »

I've seen that guy's YT channel before... Electroboom?  Or something like that
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6752 on: March 08, 2022, 07:40:39 PM »
Nope, I was good with that.  And noted it wouldn't be a "mean tweet" because I wouldn't do the standard "nastiness towards the current administration" thing that the left likes to decry as "mean tweets", because I don't see it that way.  This is what you meant be "mean tweet", correct?  The hypocrisy of the left when people start calling their guys out?

You countered that point of view, kgb joined in, we had a discussion, and here we are.

Not sure what you're thinking of.

"Yeah, but no mean tweets" has become a common way of noting how much better things aren't, now that we have Biden, instead of Trump. Depending on context, it could actually be taken as a comment on how little the two parties differ. Or not.

But, as kgb has admitted, folk like him can't interpret any slight toward the Biden administration as anything but some kind of high praise for the GOP, the party God votes for!

Ya never know what's going to set those people off.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6753 on: March 08, 2022, 08:18:56 PM »
A woman shared a brutal video that shows 2 health workers beating her dog to death while she was in COVID-19 quarantine
https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/woman-shared-brutal-video-shows-085057367.html

The woman's boyfriend tested positive and she was put into quarantine.  The govt took care of disinfecting her home and apparently brutally put down the dog.  It appears to be something that just happened in the last week.  Not sure.

I am just thankful I am not posting from China.  As bad as I think my own country is becoming, we haven't quite gotten that bad. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6754 on: March 08, 2022, 11:26:25 PM »

"Yeah, but no mean tweets" has become a common way of noting how much better things aren't, now that we have Biden, instead of Trump. Depending on context, it could actually be taken as a comment on how little the two parties differ. Or not.

But, as kgb has admitted, folk like him can't interpret any slight toward the Biden administration as anything but some kind of high praise for the GOP, the party God votes for!

Ah, I think I misunderstood you.  Sorry  =|

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6755 on: March 09, 2022, 12:51:07 AM »

That is your assumption.  And it is false.  You seem to really be upset that I asserted your statement is wrong.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6756 on: March 09, 2022, 09:51:20 AM »
The true believers from "either side" irritate me.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6757 on: March 09, 2022, 01:20:51 PM »
That is your assumption.  And it is false.  You seem to really be upset that I asserted your statement is wrong.

Nah, I’m annoyed at you lying about what I said.

But now I’m beginning to wonder if you even understand the uniparty viewpoint you’re promoting. I thought the gist of it was that the two (ostensible) political parties are engaged in kayfabe, and are really just part of (or directed by) the same oligarchy. So why would it bother you for someone to talk about which moves the players would make? For example, if the oligarchs had put the GOP team in charge, inflation would be less just because of domestic energy production. Possibly less still, because the GOP might have given away less cash to the masses. Maybe the oligarchy wants it that way, so the GOP can be the stingy, miserly bad guys. That’s their job. Call it part of the illusion if you want, but that’s what would happen. That’s the uniparty theory of American politics, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6758 on: March 09, 2022, 01:29:58 PM »
That’s the uniparty theory of American politics, right?
Sometimes.  Other times they are literally identical and there is absolutely no difference between the two.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6759 on: March 10, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
Well, this is an interesting study that I might be able to use as an excuse.  =)

Part of the grey matter reduction was in areas that affect olfactory senses, which makes me wonder if there is actually any true recovery from that side effect. While I can smell a lot of stuff again, some stuff has what seems to be a permanent "new smell" to it, and I still get ghost smells.

The study apparently didn't take vaccination status into account, which would have been interesting to me.

Mild COVID-19 cases were linked to changes in the brain, in a newly published study.

Approximately 785 people underwent a brain scan and about half later tested positive for COVID-19. All the participants got a second brain scan, including those who had survived the disease.

Researchers from the Wellcome Centre for Integrative Neuroimaging at the University of Oxford analyzed the scans and found the participants infected with COVID-19 had a reduction in the thickness of gray matter—which helps humans perform various functions such as making decisions—and other negative outcomes.

“Despite the infection being mild for 96% of our participants, we saw a greater loss of grey matter volume, and greater tissue damage in the infected participants, on average 4.5 months after infection,” professor Gwenaëlle Douaud, the study’s lead author, said in a statement.

“They also showed greater decline in their mental abilities to perform complex tasks, and this mental worsening was partly related to these brain abnormalities. All these negative effects were more marked at older ages.”

The paper was published in Nature following peer review.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/even-mild-cases-of-covid-19-can-lead-to-brain-changes-study_4323882.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04569-5
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6760 on: March 10, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
My phantom smells just about disappear when taking Benadryl. I would be interested to know if you experience the same thing, you might want to experiment. My phantom smell symptom is also much worse when I'm worn down or have a lack of sleep. Have you noticed any pattern? 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6761 on: March 10, 2022, 09:04:19 AM »
Well, this is an interesting study that I might be able to use as an excuse.  =)

Part of the grey matter reduction was in areas that affect olfactory senses, which makes me wonder if there is actually any true recovery from that side effect. While I can smell a lot of stuff again, some stuff has what seems to be a permanent "new smell" to it, and I still get ghost smells.

The study apparently didn't take vaccination status into account, which would have been interesting to me.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/even-mild-cases-of-covid-19-can-lead-to-brain-changes-study_4323882.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04569-5
And people thought the zombie virus jokes were just fantasy.   =)

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6762 on: March 10, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »
My phantom smells just about disappear when taking Benadryl. I would be interested to know if you experience the same thing, you might want to experiment. My phantom smell symptom is also much worse when I'm worn down or have a lack of sleep. Have you noticed any pattern?

Interesting. I don't think I've ever taken Benadryl. I should experiment. I haven't noticed any pattern to the phantom smells, in fact, I always think of them as totally random. I did notice that asparagus, which I used to strongly smell in my pee, is barely noticeable now. I know that pre-covid studies were done regarding people who could or couldn't smell asparagus in their pee. Now I'm one of the "no smell" people.  :laugh:

Another interesting thing that has started happening to me, and I have no idea if it is long covid or something else, is that when I lay on my back on the floor in the morning to do my stretches and situps, I start to get really nauseous. Like seasick nauseous, which is unusual given I spent my career in small aircraft, ships, and boats. Of course it could be something totally unrelated. One of the problems with covid has been, I think, making it somewhat easy for people and even doctors to default to, "it must be long covid" when it could very well be something completely different, which ends up going undetected because covid is the easy explanation. I actually brought it up in my physical yesterday, and we're pursuing a couple of non-covid avenues -potentially esophageal problems I have and a hernia that was repaired, but seems to be returning. Though this paper on post-covid brain changes could, in fact, be an explanation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6763 on: March 10, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
I blame everything on covid now  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6764 on: March 10, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
Did that study also look at people who got sick from a non-covid crud bug?
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6765 on: March 14, 2022, 08:40:43 PM »
Found primers in the wild today behind the counter at a fair sized gun store.
Winchester large and small pistol.
Appeared to be new production.
Apparently they are now made of gold and platinum.
$96 a 1000. I've heard of higher prices, might be a positive sign. A little steep for me though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6766 on: March 14, 2022, 10:14:44 PM »
Keith Olbermann defends Dr. Fauci & advises Sen. Rand Paul to ‘become an actual doctor’
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/14/keith-olbermann-defends-dr-fauci-advises-sen-rand-paul-to-become-an-actual-doctor/

:facepalm:
 [popcorn]

For those who may not be aware Rand Paul is a doctor
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6767 on: March 14, 2022, 10:35:57 PM »
Found primers in the wild today behind the counter at a fair sized gun store.
Winchester large and small pistol.
Appeared to be new production.
Apparently they are now made of gold and platinum.
$96 a 1000. I've heard of higher prices, might be a positive sign. A little steep for me though.
For some rifle primers, I could see getting some since some ammo is still hard to find. 

For pistol, maybe.  I guess even 9mm is still twice what it was  Others like 45 and 10mm are worse.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6768 on: March 14, 2022, 11:36:02 PM »
For some rifle primers, I could see getting some since some ammo is still hard to find. 

For pistol, maybe.  I guess even 9mm is still twice what it was  Others like 45 and 10mm are worse.

I picked up 50 rounds each of .38, .357 and .45 so I can take thing 1 to the range for pistol intro (yeah, I know, .22lr would be better first time with a handgun but those are the caliber guns I actually have already, besides she wants to shoot the ones I have).  $110 after tax.  And that was the CHEAP ammo.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6769 on: March 22, 2022, 10:16:53 PM »
Hillary has reportedly tested positive for COVID
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:29:52 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6770 on: March 22, 2022, 10:24:19 PM »
I picked up 50 rounds each of .38, .357 and .45 so I can take thing 1 to the range for pistol intro (yeah, I know, .22lr would be better first time with a handgun but those are the caliber guns I actually have already, besides she wants to shoot the ones I have).  $110 after tax.  And that was the CHEAP ammo.

I'm half way through a 1000 round reloading session for .45 ACP. 500 each of 230 grain cast lead round nose and Barry's 230 grain round nose plated. I'm cleaning the seating and crimp dies after the cast lead rounds, always end up with a little bullet lube on those.
After that I will run off a few hundred .45 Colt cast bullet loads then on to .357 Magnum.
My Hornady progressive gets me about 200 rounds an hour reloading pistol cartridges if I don't get a hang up. Some folks go quite a bit faster but I like to take my time and really watch what I'm doing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6771 on: March 23, 2022, 12:04:49 AM »
I recently saw some 357 and 38 ammo for sale (in the last month).  I can't remember the price.  I bought a few rounds of 6.8 SPC recently also.  I even saw some 30-30 recently for sale.  Most of it was either foreign or at least less common brands.  I was just happy to see a little bit of ammo for sale that wasn't 5.56, 308, 9mm, or 7.62x39. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6772 on: March 23, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
    UPDATE: today my son, who faces severe speech delays and needs to see faces and be able to see his own, toddled off happily to pre-K at school (he goes b/c CPS has therapy options).

He was returned to me two hours later with a mask forcibly tied to his face by a teacher. Crying. https://t.co/TnaTZUGAGj

— Jeff B. is *BOX OFFICE POISON* (@EsotericCD) March 23, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/23/child-abuse-jeff-blehars-special-needs-son-left-cps-pre-k-today-with-a-mask-forcibly-tied-to-his-face-by-a-teacher-crying/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6773 on: March 23, 2022, 12:52:44 PM »
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/23/child-abuse-jeff-blehars-special-needs-son-left-cps-pre-k-today-with-a-mask-forcibly-tied-to-his-face-by-a-teacher-crying/

"There will not be justice in this world until teachers' unions are razed to the ground, and on their ashes, a free range kid playground is erected."
Comment from the link

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6774 on: March 23, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
Shouldn't we all be dead now?

I figure whoever does the stats page for St. Louis City is hoping for a surge.

746 deaths since it started. Under 1/8th of 1% annually since it started.
Blog under construction