Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453218 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #7500 on: December 07, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »
The local school system went from "KEEP YOUR KID HOME IF THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE SICK!" to "YOU MUST HAVE A DOCTOR'S NOTE FOR ANY SICK ABSENCE OR YOUR KID WILL BE COUNTED TRUANT!"

So parents just send their kids to school sick and wait for them to be sent home by the nurse.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7501 on: December 07, 2023, 10:03:49 AM »
The local school system went from "KEEP YOUR KID HOME IF THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE SICK!" to "YOU MUST HAVE A DOCTOR'S NOTE FOR ANY SICK ABSENCE OR YOUR KID WILL BE COUNTED TRUANT!"

So parents just send their kids to school sick and wait for them to be sent home by the nurse.

IIRC with my daughter we had x numbers of days then a doctor's note was required.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7502 on: December 07, 2023, 11:31:41 AM »

I guess they have to prove attendance to get their funding.  I assume some of that was waived during covid.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7503 on: December 07, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
Speaking from the perspective of the doctor's note, primary care and pediatrics is overwhelmed at this time of year seeing people with respiratory crud.  It is not a good use of scarce medical resources to see a kid or adult who is fully recovered but now needs a note to have the absence or time off work excused.  If you are in this situation and you are recovered, call your clinic and ask if they can write a note without having to see the patient.  Also, if you forge the note and we find out, we don't like that. I usually only see this with adults, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7504 on: December 14, 2023, 10:07:40 AM »
It is not a good use of scarce medical resources to see a kid or adult who is fully recovered but now needs a note to have the absence or time off work excused.  If you are in this situation and you are recovered, call your clinic and ask if they can write a note without having to see the patient. 
From my daughter's school:
"Please note that in order for a student's absence to be excused, there must be a doctor's note stating that the student was SEEN in the office."

Emphasis in the original.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7505 on: December 14, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »
Interestingly, all the local schools for my little town were closed yesterday because all the bus drivers and half the students were sick with whatever non-covid bug that's out there right now.

I still have the OG covid super-immunity that protects me from all diseases everywhere, but I'll probably skip going to the local grocery and burger joint for a little while.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7506 on: December 14, 2023, 12:19:49 PM »
That upper respiratory thing I had a few weeks ago, which came with mucus producing ability that would make a hag fish proud, tore through my workplace.

Hit our trash company, hit our grounds company, hit the schools (but apparently not quite as hard).

It was miserable. I'm just now getting over the cough. I'm sure that it was prolonged for me, though, because I'm a smoker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7507 on: December 14, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »
That upper respiratory thing I had a few weeks ago, which came with mucus producing ability that would make a hag fish proud, tore through my workplace.

Hit our trash company, hit our grounds company, hit the schools (but apparently not quite as hard).

It was miserable. I'm just now getting over the cough. I'm sure that it was prolonged for me, though, because I'm a smoker.

Remember me saying Ashi was coughing and wheezing? I came down with much the same symptoms last week. I'm starting to wonder what this crap is.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7508 on: December 14, 2023, 01:53:01 PM »

From my daughter's school:
"Please note that in order for a student's absence to be excused, there must be a doctor's note stating that the student was SEEN in the office."

Emphasis in the original.

I don't even have kids, and I hate public school officials.  If the kids parents are all right with them staying home from school based on symptoms without a Dr's Note, the petty bureaucrats can stuff their paperwork where the sun don't shine.  Who the *expletive deleted*ck they think they are?

*I know, I know there's probably some do-gooder law that says the parents need the school's OK to do anything with their kids, but *expletive deleted*ck, really?  Home school your kids.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7509 on: December 14, 2023, 09:19:57 PM »
Remember me saying Ashi was coughing and wheezing? I came down with much the same symptoms last week. I'm starting to wonder what this crap is.

I haven't been paying attention to any news about a respiratory illness going round, I just figured I'd caught a nasty-ish cold, made worse cause of pipe smoking.  Sinuses have been stopped up for weeks, with an accompanying annoying deep cough - mucus resembled rubber cement at times.  It's finally starting to lighten up.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7510 on: December 23, 2023, 08:53:08 PM »
Oh good *expletive deleted*ing grief, look who's off her meds again.

Taylor Lorenz Missing Her Fourth Christmas Because Selfish People Can't Be Bothered to Mask
https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/12/23/taylor-lorenz-missing-her-fourth-christmas-because-selfish-people-cant-be-bothered-to-mask-n2391110

Cry me a *expletive deleted*ing river
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:33:50 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7511 on: December 23, 2023, 10:29:40 PM »
Oh, great. It was bad enough when everything I did was oppression and destroying the planet. Now it's social murder, too. I'm accomplishing so much at once, I'm going to have to demand a raise.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7512 on: December 23, 2023, 11:28:11 PM »
The new hire with the hot topic hair was at work the week before Thanksgiving.

Gachking up a lung.

Well, she'll all better now, and still staring at her phone with customers standing in front of her, and I'm still trying to cough up solidified elmer's glue, a month into the crud.

I have to work with her tomorrow. Maybe I can make her quit.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7513 on: December 26, 2023, 02:17:19 PM »
Trolling the COVID obsessed

OMG! What do we do? We have 18 people coming tonight for dinner and both my husband and I just tested positive. We tested because we’re asking everyone to provide a negative Covid test before entering. No way can we cancel - some guests came from across the country. pic.twitter.com/f80pI4bnhf
    — 🫃🏼💉🇺🇦Hollaria Briden, Esq. (@HollyBriden) December 24, 2023

That's a parody account but many of the responses taking it seriously are gold especially the KFC one.

Hollaria Briden Unleashes a Masterful Christmas Troll on the COVID-Obsessed
https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp/2023/12/26/hollaria-briden-unleashes-a-masterful-christmas-troll-on-the-covid-obsessed-n2391144
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7514 on: December 27, 2023, 01:09:04 AM »
My wife has the Coof, I have the coof, waiting for our aunt and cousin to catch the coof...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7515 on: December 27, 2023, 06:43:06 AM »
Friend of mine came down with the Kung right before Christmas.

Which killed his spending his holidays with his first granddaughter.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7516 on: December 27, 2023, 12:24:30 PM »
 My mom has ditched several plans recently due to the sweet and sour sicken. Which is fine, me calling a half hour after you were supposed to be somewhere and the food is ready,  not fine. But she was late to both her kids wedding,  this year late to her sister's husband's funeral etc. Self centered until the vein in my forehead bursts... But anyway, once her and hubby both tested positive their doc said it was fine to stop masking in their own house. But she read somewhere that pets might get it so masks it was for the cats. No sense in me explaining she is pissing away the last decade of her life hiding from an  endemic disease.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7517 on: December 27, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »
^^^Wait, wut?  She is putting masks on the cats?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7518 on: December 27, 2023, 02:25:26 PM »
Former neighbors of mine invited me over to eat Christmas dinner with them.

I demurred because I was intending on spending the day with Seren and I'd already worked my menu out.

She texted me a bit ago...

She and a couple of the kids have the Kung Flu.

My guess is that all 6 of them will have the Kung Flu by the end of the week.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7519 on: December 27, 2023, 08:11:03 PM »

No, the hoomins continued to mask. Understanding pathogens must be hard, same bunch that thinks vacuuming and locking the cats up helps us with our allergies.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7520 on: December 27, 2023, 11:09:50 PM »
I came down with something a few weeks ago.  I seem to be over the crud that was left over from it this week. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7521 on: December 28, 2023, 08:10:43 AM »
My mom has ditched several plans recently due to the sweet and sour sicken. Which is fine, me calling a half hour after you were supposed to be somewhere and the food is ready,  not fine. But she was late to both her kids wedding,  this year late to her sister's husband's funeral etc. Self centered until the vein in my forehead bursts... But anyway, once her and hubby both tested positive their doc said it was fine to stop masking in their own house. But she read somewhere that pets might get it so masks it was for the cats. No sense in me explaining she is pissing away the last decade of her life hiding from an  endemic disease.

Apparently it's a thing with some people

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/cats-are-wearing-coronavirus-masks-in-china

COVID-19 masks for pets spiked 500% during the COVID-19 pandemic. Top vets tell us why animals shouldn't wear one.
https://www.businessinsider.com/animals-pets-face-masks-sales-spike-covid-19-2021-1

Some people with nuts with the idea

https://www.insider.com/coronavirus-face-masks-pets-dogs-2020-3

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7522 on: December 28, 2023, 12:59:19 PM »
That dog mask only works if it is very cold.  Where I am, the dog would overheat without being able to hang its tongue out.  It looks a bit cruel to cover a dog's snout like that.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 09:44:33 AM by MechAg94 »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7523 on: December 29, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »
On the Wuhan lab leak: It's all Tom Cotton's fault for people not believing it. Also, what difference does it make? OK Boomer Hillary.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/12/28/the-reason-the-covid-lab-leak-talk-became-toxic-was-because-of-sen-tom-cotton-n2391216
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7524 on: December 29, 2023, 09:47:57 AM »
On the Wuhan lab leak: It's all Tom Cotton's fault for people not believing it. Also, what difference does it make? OK Boomer Hillary.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/12/28/the-reason-the-covid-lab-leak-talk-became-toxic-was-because-of-sen-tom-cotton-n2391216
The lab leak idea was dismissed early because people in power knew the CDC and other sources were funding the lab in question.  It was an attempt at a cover up.