Author Topic: NYPD Implements Shotspotter  (Read 1396 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NYPD Implements Shotspotter
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
NYPD has begun using Shotspotter technology - hardware and software to pinpoint gunshots. It will be interesting to learn (if they make it public) what safeguards are in place to protect privacy.

The microphones are all in public places, so there may be no legal privacy protections, but an active and automated 24/7 system in place, instead of officers having to "manually" monitor with microphones in specific instances, is somewhat worriesome to me regarding potential abuses.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/18/nypd-spends-15-million-on-electronic-ears-to-listen-for-gunshots-in-bronx/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: NYPD Implements Shotspotter
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
I thought they and other cities had installed it already and have not had much luck with it working.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
I thought they and other cities had installed it already and have not had much luck with it working.

That's because the right people weren't in charge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
Shot spotter worked in dc and its designed to learn the acoustic idiosyncrasies of an area so it improved. Not aware that it was used to monitor conversations and conversations in public are fair game i thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:56:09 AM »
Can't speak to any other areas but Az. Anyone can video any one in any reasonable public space. A conversation can only be heard, listened to or recorded by someone taking part in the conversation or with a warrant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:31:11 AM »
Any competent large scale criminal activity in a metro area should attempt to activate and overload emergency services as a prelude. Seems like another system to spoof and more information to process.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
Scenario #1 - BGs shoot and cops know where to go even if there is nobody around able to call for help.  When you need a cop they are still only minutes away.  But that's OK because everybody knows that law-abiding shooters in NYC will hang around to help the cops investigate so they can clear their name.

Scenario #2 - BGs do not go around shooting everybody they interact with.  Money for more cops/cop cars (*hack, spit* am I really proposing that?) taken up by technology that essentially provides no protection and assists in a dwindling number of investigations.

Scenarion #3 - put them up in areas know to have lots of shootings (gangbanger drivebys, f'rinstance).  BGs rig them up to play atrocious rap.

The only profit I see here is to the vendor and the politician(s) who are getting some sort of kickback.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:14 AM »
Scenario #4: BG Shoots someone (mugging gone bad, spat between criminals, whatever) and takes off.  Victim falls to the ground, but instead of bleeding out overnight (since no one called 911) is still alive when cops show up and activate EMS.

It's an expensive system, but it does work pretty much as designed, can help, and is an order of magnatude less stupid then many things NYC has spent tax dollars on.  Meh.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Shotspotter has increased the recovery of spent shell casings, and interviews of witnesses who didn't see anything by over 400% in the cities where the system is used.
I promise not to duck.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:44 AM »
Shot spotter is the excuse a police group is using to oppose suppressors in Minnesota.

A large city in California abandoned the program.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
The only profit I see here is to the vendor and the politician(s) who are getting some sort of kickback.

Nailed it!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
. . . The only profit I see here is to the vendor and the politician(s) who are getting some sort of kickback . . .
When analyzing the rationale for government spending programs, there's one maxim to remember: Always follow the money. ALWAYS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »
Scenario #4: BG Shoots someone (mugging gone bad, spat between criminals, whatever) and takes off.  Victim falls to the ground, but instead of bleeding out overnight (since no one called 911) is still alive when cops show up and activate EMS.

It's an expensive system, but it does work pretty much as designed, can help, and is an order of magnatude less stupid then many things NYC has spent tax dollars on.  Meh.

That's Scenario #1.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
conversations in public are fair game i thought

Clearly since the 4th Amendment does not cover conversations in public, we cannot in any way oppose the concept of recording said conversations.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
Can it tell the difference between a gunshot (which could be any of several calibers) and any type of firecracker readily available in packs of thousands?

Wouldn't exactly take a criminal genius to figure out how to decoy and/or just plain overload the system.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »
Clearly since the 4th Amendment does not cover conversations in public, we cannot in any way oppose the concept of recording said conversations.

Yes, that.

It may very well be 100% legal and 'for my safety". So is TSA. Doesn't mean I have to like either concept. I'm much more a proponent of living free than I am of living safe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
I doubt the shotspotter microphones are much good at all for picking up conversations, especially in loud urban areas.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I