Author Topic: Congress has twice talked about raiding 401k's...  (Read 19753 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Congress has twice talked about raiding 401k's...
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/irish-bombshell-government-raids-private-pensions-to-pay-for-jobs-program-2011-5

...and the Irish basically just did it.

Now there's a precedent.

My employer, with whom I signed on about 3 years ago during the time the Dems were last talking about it, thought I was nuts to forgo the 401k plan.  (They didn't match contributions or anything, but even if they did I wouldn't have jumped on it.)

I'm even dubious of Roth IRA's, where you pay taxes NOW and are "guaranteed" that you won't have to pay taxes on your withdrawal when you retire.  When government needs money, it WILL take it.  Somehow.

Prepare your tar, feathers, rails, pitchforks and torches.  It's GOING to come here.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Congress has twice talked about raiding 401k's...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
Enda Kenny

Enda Kenny

Image: thejournal.ie
The Irish government plans to institute a tax on private pensions to drive jobs growth, according to its jobs program strategy, delivered today.

Plans. The plan is not in force yet.

It is also a 0.6% tax.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:12 PM »
Few things would get the American mad enough to start shooting politicians....this might be one of them....this is why gov'ts push for gun control first.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
The impossible and the absurd and the self-destructive ARE going to happen.  It's the nature of ever-expanding, increasingly insulated government.  Just when you think "they'd never go THERE," they do.  Prepare accordingly.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50:33 AM »
The Economic Policy Institute has floated the idea of taking 401(k)s and folding them into SS or some other government vehicle.  I remember reading the position paper they put together with frank amazement that they would even broach the subject, given how Americans might react.  It's not there the last time I looked for it.  Maybe my search-fu on their site is weak.
I saw a video (on Youtube?) with Barney Frank talking about the same thing a couple of years ago.  Cannot find it anymore, don't know where it went.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »
I expect it will happen eventually.  The feds need revenue and tapping IRAs would be a way to do it.  After all, if you took it upon yourself to save for your retirement, the other folks who didn't deserve some of your money.   :mad:

Don't they?  >:D

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
I'll be willing to share my retirement funds when those who didn't save invite me over for dinner, provide chauffeur services, and have their children volunteer to do my yardwork gratis.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

It is also a 0.6% tax.

It was only the Trade Unionists.

It was only the magazines over 10 rounds.

It was only the machine guns.

It was only the guns over .50 caliber.

It was only the silencers.

Income tax was initially only 1%.

It was only the Jews.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
And the magazines over 10 rounds are legal. THey've not actually progressed in a significant way beyond their achievements in 1986, and in fact it remains "only" the machineguns and the other guns. And even that is not permanent.

A 0.6% tax on payments from the account is about as similar to the government seizing the account itself, as the excise tax on firearms is to a ban on all guns. If the excise tax were 0.6%, that is.

Of course, even in Ireland this plan has not passed yet.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
I expect it will happen eventually.  The feds need revenue and tapping IRAs would be a way to do it.  After all, if you took it upon yourself to save for your retirement, the other folks who didn't deserve some of your money.   :mad:

Don't they?  >:D

<shrug>.  I always figured I'd end up penniless.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
And the magazines over 10 rounds are legal. THey've not actually progressed in a significant way beyond their achievements in 1986, and in fact it remains "only" the machineguns and the other guns. And even that is not permanent.

A 0.6% tax on payments from the account is about as similar to the government seizing the account itself, as the excise tax on firearms is to a ban on all guns. If the excise tax were 0.6%, that is.

Of course, even in Ireland this plan has not passed yet.

No one's panicking yet, we're just understandably vigilant, having seen decades of leftist mission creep.  While it's true that about 80 per cent of America has RKBA some of the biggest and electorally important states--I live in one, CA--patently do not.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
While it's true that about 80 per cent of America has RKBA some of the biggest and electorally important states--I live in one, CA--patently do not.

Quick back of the envelope calc -- CA + IL together accounts for 1/6th of the population of the United State.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
Quick back of the envelope calc -- CA + IL together accounts for 1/6th of the population of the United State.

What is it if you include NY/NJ?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
AZ- don't be behind the times, man- Argentina and Hungary also did this- it will come, pension funds are the largest untapped source of money-almost irresistible.  Oh, and that .6 percent-yearly, with loss of interest  income adds up to a VERY significant number over the life of a fund, say, 30 or 40 years. I think Denninger over at  "the market ticker" calculated it out to a 27% loss in value.
 http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=185861

Now lets talk about what happens when a tax is started, like the income tax? Ever see the first form?  One (1) percent on $20,000 income.
 That 20K is $435,500 in today's terms, calculated for inflation. Gee, a lousy one percent of almost a half million don't sound too bad, does it?
 And those folks earning $500,000?  they had to pay seven(7) percent. Of $10,888,594.79 in todays dollars.
 This, my friends, is an example of "the camels nose".

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
It is a mathematical certainty that fed.gov will confiscate private retirement as it will confiscate any other pool of wealth it stumbles across.  Every country which has faced a currency collapse has done the same thing.  Our future can be seen in Argentina's past.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
No one's panicking yet, we're just understandably vigilant, having seen decades of leftist mission creep.  While it's true that about 80 per cent of America has RKBA some of the biggest and electorally important states--I live in one, CA--patently do not.

You are viewing it as a snapshot. I recommend a historical view:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
Your map is a little misleading because some of those states have been open carry forever.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
Your map is a little misleading because some of those states have been open carry forever.

That's excellent, but wouldn't you agree it represents a certain progress in RKBA?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »
That's excellent, but wouldn't you agree it represents a certain progress in RKBA?

From a state level: yes, indeed (the recent events in MT notwithstanding  :mad: )

What I am seeing is a dichotomy - most of the states are pulling one way towards more RKBA, and the feral govt is pulling the other towards more tyranny.  The fabric is bound to rip eventually.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
What new gun laws have been introduced since 1994 restricting your freedom?

Since 1994:

1. The AWB has been repealed.
2. Guns in national parks. (signed by President Obama)
3. Abolition of CLEO signature requirement (currently in the works)
4. Heller and McDonald. (Although Heller had its downsides I harp on often).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
Batf seems to be getting worse and worse.

I expect some administrative gun control after Obamao gets his second term  =(

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »
The progress in right-to-carry only reflects the growing schism in the country between the desires of American citizens on the local level and the continuing pressure by outnumbered but still politically powerful entities at the Federal level to thwart those desires. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
1. The AWB has been repealed.
There was no deliberate action to repeal the law, it simply sunset. Without a sunset provision, we no doubt would still have that law on the books.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
The progress in right-to-carry only reflects the growing schism in the country between the desires of American citizens on the local level and the continuing pressure by outnumbered but still politically powerful entities at the Federal level to thwart those desires. 

See...?

Somebody agrees with me  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
There was no deliberate action to repeal the law, it simply sunset. Without a sunset provision, we no doubt would still have that law on the books.
Perhaps so, but there were enough politicians in the right places to see that it went no where. 
Everyone likes to hate on Tom Delay who was Speaker of the House at the time, but he was one of the few people in D.C. willing to come out and say there was no way in hell they would pass the extension.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge