Author Topic: Disney trademarks "SEAL Team 6"  (Read 1678 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Disney trademarks "SEAL Team 6"
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/disney-trademarks-seal-team-6_b35689

Just a couple days after the Bin Laden job.

Suppose they're making a cartoon about seals?

I really don't care if they are... I think they need to fight for the right to the name. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
Re: Disney trademarks "SEAL Team 6"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Dick Marcinko hasn't already done this?

IIRC "SEAL Team 6" isn't actually the name of the unit.  The Navy has a penchant for long and hard to pronounce acronyms even by military standards.  I think it's actually called "Navy Special Warfare Development Group" or some such. NAVSPECWARDEVGRU just rolls off the tongue.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
Dick Marcinko hasn't already done this?

IIRC "SEAL Team 6" isn't actually the name of the unit.  The Navy has a penchant for long and hard to pronounce acronyms even by military standards.  I think it's actually called "Navy Special Warfare Development Group" or some such. NAVSPECWARDEVGRU just rolls off the tongue.
Right.  SEAL Team 6 no longer exists.  The current name is DevGru.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
Trademarks need to be earned, not bought.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »
Trademarks need to be earned, not bought.

Well, even here on APS, there are a number of people that do not understand the concept of intellectual property and related theory/law.  The US intellectual property laws need to be drastically overhauled, and Disney is probably the worst offender in making a bad situation worse. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Thanks, Disney. Now I will never be able to get the image of a bunch of tactical operators in Mickey Mouse t-shirts rising up out of the surf out of my head...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »
Disney, the image of wholesomeness and good, owns Mirimax, which produces mostly R rated movies.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
The SEALs are the next great profit center.  How else can we get out of the recession? =D
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
Disney, the image of wholesomeness and good, owns Mirimax, which produces mostly R rated movies.....

Beware of talking animals with four-fingered white gloves.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Thanks, Disney. Now I will never be able to get the image of a bunch of tactical operators in Mickey Mouse t-shirts rising up out of the surf out of my head...
And if that did ever happen, the men involved in and results of that mission, will be even more badass.  =D  I'm reminded of this: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/04/infamous-t-shirt.html  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams