Author Topic: SCOTUS supports AZ immigration fixes  (Read 2295 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
SCOTUS supports AZ immigration fixes
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
http://admin.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/26/supreme-court-ok-arizonas-business-immigration-law/

In the 5-3 ruling the majority said that while federal law says the national government can’t make electronic checks of employees’ work-eligibility mandatory, the law does not bar states from doing so.

10th amendment strikes again.

Suck it, Statists. =D

ETA:  The more I read it, the happier I get.

"The law does not bar states from doing so."
"The law does not bar..."

Awesome.

THAT is how you read the Constitution.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:03:51 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: SCOTUS supports AZ immigration fixes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
while on the home front
http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2011/03/arizona-and-kansas-back-off-immigration-bills.html
Wow, the home states of Russell Pearce, Joe Arpaio and Kris Kobach decide there are lines they don't want to cross. Arizona's legislature has killed five bills including the controversial birthright citizenship law. And Kansas has snubbed it's anti-immigrant pied piper (and Secretary of State) Kris Kobach by rejecting the Arizona-style bill he designed. From MSNBC regarding Arizona:

Majority Republicans were split in their votes on the defeated bills, which included two measures intended to force a U.S. Supreme Court ruling against automatic citizenship for U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants. The other three dealt with health care, public services and everyday activities such as driving.

With business leaders urging lawmakers to put the issue aside to avoid damaging the still-ailing economy, "it's time for us to take a timeout," said Republican Sen. John McComish of Phoenix. "It's something that the people don't want us to be focusing on."

Critics also said the bills rejected Thursday were over-reaching and flawed.

and this
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-19/arizona-immigration-law-why-the-republicans-are-retreating/2/#
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
Encouraging, but another case of being one vote (minus Kagan's recusal) from the abyss.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:50:42 PM »
I'm glad to hear it.  The AZ E-verify law always seemed very common sense to me.  It at least helps reduce economic incentive for employers and employees to break the law. 

The issue of who should be legally allowed in is a separate debate, which still needs to be hashed out.

Mechanisms to enforce laws should be in place, otherwise the laws have no meaning. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
Encouraging, but another case of being one vote (minus Kagan's recusal) from the abyss.

Interesting that Kagan recused herself.

I'm going to bet she will be recusing herself from as many decisions as possible up until Obamacare comes before the Supreme Court, so that when she doesn't recuse herself, she can claim that she recused herself all these other times, so we can trust her judgement on this (lack of) recusal.  [tinfoil]
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »
is this a case where she had to recuse herself because she was involved in the run up on case?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
is this a case where she had to recuse herself because she was involved in the run up on case?

Justice Elena Kagan did not participate in the case, since she had been the administration's solicitor general last year when the case was being appealed to the high court.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/26/scotus.arizona.law/index.html

All the links I have found are unspecific as to how she was involved, except that the was SG or "worked" on the case.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
Footnote 6 in Roberts’ opinion:

“It should not be surprising that the two dissents have sharply different views on how to read the statute. That is the sort of thing that can happen when statutory analysis is so untethered from the text.”

:laugh:
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
Footnote 6 in Roberts’ opinion:

“It should not be surprising that the two dissents have sharply different views on how to read the statute. That is the sort of thing that can happen when statutory analysis is so untethered from the text.”

:laugh:

Oh ouch!!!!!   That's gotta leave a mark on the lib side of the court.   :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
snubbed it's anti-immigrant

;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”