Author Topic: Well, Damn.....  (Read 5204 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Well, Damn.....
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Just got a call from the doc's office.  Have been having some assorted problems over the last couple years, couldn't find out what's going on.  Finally talked doc into doing an MRI of the ol' brain pan.  Guess what.  I've got a Pituitary Macroadenoma.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that they're not malignant, and that the particular type I have is very easily and very successfully treated with dopamine agonists.  Except that I might have to be on said dopamine agonists for the rest of my life.  And I'm only 33.

Damn.

So now I'm waiting to get a call back from the endocrinologist's office to figure out what's next.  Hopefully they don't want to do a neuro consult too, because *that* means they're thinking they need to actually do, you know, BRAIN SURGERY first to get rid of the majority of the tumor.

Ok. that just scared the bejeebers outta me typing the word TUMOR in relation to MY BODY, and especially something so near to my friggin' brain.

Gee, is 0830 too early to pour a double portion of rum?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:33:58 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Well, Damn.....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
Dang.
Well, look on the bright side:  Obamacare will make all the treatments and medicines come instantly and free for you.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Dang.
Well, look on the bright side:  Obamacare will make all the treatments and medicines come instantly and free for you.

Great.  Maybe a triple portion of rum will let me stop thinking about Obamacare and my brain.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »
Really sorry to hear that man. Best wishes for a successful treatment.  
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
Really sorry to hear that man. Best wishes for a successful treatment.  
Indeed.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Well, was just talking it over with the Mrs.  Feeling a little bit better...   But it's still unnerving.  And the more I research it, the better I'm feeling about it.  Well, not better, but "less bad."

But those are still statistics, and it's kinda hard for statistics to top, "You've got something growing in your skull that doesn't belong there!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »

But those are still statistics, and it's kinda hard for statistics to top, "You've got something growing in your skull that doesn't belong there!"

Just thing of it as a big booger.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
I know the shock you mean hearing the first news. You'll get over it and come to think of it as "No big deal."
TC
TC
RT Refugee

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
Just thing of it as a big booger.

Brad

Yeah, sure.  You wanna hold the hankie while I blow my pituitary?   :)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
I know the shock you mean hearing the first news. You'll get over it and come to think of it as "No big deal."
TC

Yeah, I know.  and it's not like this thing is malignant.  It's just...  Weird...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
But deep inside, you've always known there was something wrong with your brain. 

We did.   :P

Sorry to hear about that.  Best wishes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
But deep inside, you've always known there was something wrong with your brain. 

We did.   :P

Well, duh....  :)

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
That fi  ful always gets it wrong. He probably planted a brainworm in you via the internets.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but I am glad to hear that it's not worse.   =|

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
Relax.  I got you an appointment with Dr. Grumpy.  He's gonna look at your goop and see what needs fixin', then do it.  http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com/2010/04/why-i-do-what-i-do.html

Please select your position on the following scale with great care.  It may impact how Dr. Grumpy handles your goop:

Levels of Patient Crazy

1. Normal. They exist, even constitute the majority of patients. They make poor blog fodder, however, so you wouldn't know that that they even exist from reading any medical blog.

2. Crazy. These are the "fun crazy" folks. A little off, but you don't cringe when you see them on the schedule.

3. Bat-sh*t crazy. Your stomach drops a little when you see the name on the schedule.

4. F*cking Nuts. These folks seem intent on driving YOU nuts too.

5. Mouth agape and head shaking. You are lost for words upon meeting these folks. Fortunately, they are rare.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
That would scare the hell out of me. Looking on the bright side, though, you're getting treatment before Obamacare kicks in. That means you'll pull through alright.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 01:32:45 AM »
Since I read this, I've been struggling to figure out what to say. Being that I've not come up with anything, I'll simply say I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Also, as an aside, thanks once again for having the gumption to have the job you do. It lets people like myself live.  =)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 02:20:56 AM »
Since I read this, I've been struggling to figure out what to say. Being that I've not come up with anything, I'll simply say I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Also, as an aside, thanks once again for having the gumption to have the job you do. It lets people like myself live.  =)

What he said.

Plenty of folks rooting for you.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »
Look on the bright side, at least they found out you have a brain.  Someone had to say it.

But I'm pulling for you and you'll do fine.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
Thanks guys.  A new morning gives better perspective on all that, so I'm kinda switching into "ok, still freaky but not gonna freak out about it" mode. :) 

Oh, and wmenorr?  I knew I had a brain.  I got to see the pretty pictures of it on the MRI screen after they finished the scan.  Seriously one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  I'm actually gonna ask my doc if I can get a copy of the MRI scan somehow. 

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having problems, glad to hear you're feeling a bit better about it this morning. Good luck, we're all pulling for you.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that AD. Even tho it's not malignant that's gotta be very scary.

So, if they do need to go in and do some type of surgery to remove it, would you still be on the medication you described for the rest of your life?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Balog, it's possible. Unfortunately this kind of thing has a high likelihood of recurring if surgically removed. I'll know more after I see the endocrinologist.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 01:33:47 PM »
Good luck man. I'll be praying.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
AD, sorry that you are having difficulties.  But it's good to know the problem can be managed.  All prayers and well wishes for you, sir.
Regarding Balog's question, how about if it's left in place?  Will it eventually reach some sort of equilibrium and stop growing?  Is leaving it in place problematic?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.