Author Topic: Well this is good news!  (Read 871 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well this is good news!
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
And I'm not sure how I missed it before, but CVN-80, the 4th ship of the Gerald Ford class of enhanced Nimitz carriers will be named USS Enterprise. Apparently the name selection was announced back in 2012...

She's scheduled to be laid down sometime next year and will enter fleet service in 2027 if everything goes according to plan.

But, that will mean that the Navy will be without a USS Enterprise for almost a decade.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the US Navy must always have a USS Enterprise in commission. And I'm doubly happy to see that they're getting away from naming the carriers after people.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Well this is good news!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
Captain James T. Kirk reports via subspace radio he is very proud of this event. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »
Ford (CVN 78), John F Kennedy (CVN 79), Enterprise (CVN 80) are the next few. After that there is no telling which President will get the nod to have a ship named after him, pretty sure it won't be Jefferson Davis though. ;)

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:54:09 AM »
According to the old show Sea Quest (1990s) we're due for the USS H.R. Clinton
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
All of the people who have given their names to US carriers have had significant connections to, or impacts on, the Navy. Hopefully that means that Clinton and Obama will never have a capital ship named after them.

The one outlier in that list is Harry Truman, whose administration cancelled the USS United States (would have been the first true super carrier) and who came damned close to buying into the theory that a Navy and Marine Corps would no longer be necessary in the nuclear age, the theory being that the Air Force would drop a couple of nukes and then drop off the Army to occupy the glowing mass.

That in part led to the fabled "Revolt of the Admirals" in 1949.

How badly screwed up a concept that was was shown decisively when North Korea kicked off festivities in 1950. The Air Force couldn't take on the kind of transport needed to get troops and supplies to Korea, and it fell to a very badly depleted Navy.

In some things I've read have led me to believe that the Navy only accepted naming a carrier for Truman because Democrats started playing hardball on appropriations for new carriers. In some way it was likely also a bit of retribution for the Navy naming a carrier after James Forrestal, who as Secretary of Defense had strongly opposed Truman's and the Army/Air Force cabal and supported the Navy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
I really really want a USS Donald Trump. Heads would explode.  [popcorn]

Actually I don’t think we should name ships after politicians or name anything else after them really. And nothing should ever be named for someone while they are alive.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »

Actually I don’t think we should name ships after politicians or name anything else after them really. And nothing should ever be named for someone while they are alive.

I dunno. I think the Barack Hussein Obama Memorial Outhouse has a certain alliterative ring to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »
"I want a USS Donald Trump"

The ship's crest would be an easy choice...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »
All of the people who have given their names to US carriers have had significant connections to, or impacts on, the Navy. Hopefully that means that Clinton and Obama will never have a capital ship named after them. 

That's unfair. President Obama definitely had a significant impact on the US Navy.  His leadership let his Navy have significant impacts on Asian merchant shipping as well.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »
I think it was Call of Duty: Black Ops II that had the USS Obama as the base of operations for the playable character and his Spec Ops unit...

Didn't care too much for that game anyways...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 11:25:05 PM »
That's unfair. President Obama definitely had a significant impact on the US Navy.  His leadership let his Navy have significant impacts on Asian merchant shipping as well.
Maybe we could build a new destroyer type with a ram up front.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »

OK, a little bit esoteric for me to follow. I feel as if I'm missing some information or forgetting an event.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
He's throwing Obama under he bus for the leadership failures that led to recent Collisions at sea in the far east.
I'd like to add the leadership failures that led to the prosecutorial misconduct that occurred during the bullshit war crimes persecutions of a Navy SEAL. The final results.of that fiasco are still pending.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams