Author Topic: I'm getting bugged! Warning, warning, warning!  (Read 6029 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
I'm getting bugged! Warning, warning, warning!
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
Somewhere I picked up what apparently is a PDF driven trojan.  It happened while in the Valley and between my techy buddy and I we got it off, or so we thought.  I downloaded PC Tools Spyware Doctor and ran it in conjunction with Windows Live OneCare.  We found 3 Trojans and 127 spybots/adware.  Wiped them all off.

Last night OneCare popped up a window with the message I had TrojanDownloader:Win32/Fakenit  I ran both PC Tools and OneCare.  This morning it popped up again. WTH?  Any of you know anything about this?

Help!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: I'm getting bugged! Warning, warning, warning!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
Not specifically.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Most spyware/malware tools don't handle trojans, to my knowledge.

You'll need an antivirus product to remove that.

Try trend-micro housecall.  It's an online antivirus scanner.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't work, there's a free version of NOD32 antivirus out there.

http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download.php

I like NOD. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
+1 on the ESET NOD.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
BitDefender has a free online scan that works pretty well.  They also have a free on-demand product you can download.
MalwareBytes has an excellent free-for-personal-use on demand scanner.  It digs out many tough bugs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

CypherNinja

• friend
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
I am still having to run Windows One Care and PC Tools.  Caught two more bugs this morning.  Can't we develop a system that tracks the virus or malware back to the source and destroys that server? ???

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
I am still having to run Windows One Care and PC Tools.  Caught two more bugs this morning.  Can't we develop a system that tracks the virus or malware back to the source and destroys that server? ???

Not unless you want a "guilty until proven innocent" basis for internet use.

Every packet ever up/down loaded would have to be inspected and tagged for origin and destination, and logged.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »
I use Kasperksky Internet Suite 2010, with good results so far.

It's probably in your registry in a dozen places. That way it can re populate itself
at each reboot.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Not unless you want a "guilty until proven innocent" basis for internet use.

Every packet ever up/down loaded would have to be inspected and tagged for origin and destination, and logged.

Why isn't everything going through some super filter now so the SOB's can't send their crap all over the world?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »
Why isn't everything going through some super filter now so the SOB's can't send their crap all over the world?

Assuming this was possible, it would require a controlling entity to monitor all content available on the web and give that entity the power to arbitrarily block whatever they disliked. Talk about an inevitable abuse...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
Assuming this was possible, it would require a controlling entity to monitor all content available on the web and give that entity the power to arbitrarily block whatever they disliked. Talk about an inevitable abuse...

Yeah you are right of course.  No point giving the other SOB's any more power to abuse.  Talk about being caught between the outhouse and the sewer pit!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
Yeah you are right of course.  No point giving the other SOB's any more power to abuse.  Talk about being caught between the outhouse and the sewer pit!

Yep, I suppose all we can do is prosecute the ones we do catch.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
"Yep, I suppose all we can do is prosecute the ones we do catch."

Prosecute?  What's this "prosecute?"  I live near the coast and we always need more crab-bait.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
"Yep, I suppose all we can do is prosecute the ones we do catch."

Prosecute?  What's this "prosecute?"  I live near the coast and we always need more crab-bait.

Here we say, "You have a wash don't you? And aren't there coyotes? Problem solved"  But that is very red neck.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »
Check into Foxit pdfreader
Foxit

It is super fast to load compared to adobes.. I'll have to look into whether or not is safer.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »

Absolutely.  China has one.  Would you want Obama running ours?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »
Absolutely.  China has one.  Would you want Obama running ours?

Actually I don't want the Gov. running anything.  Abolish it and go back to rule by law instead of whim.  I was speaking out of frustration with the SOB's who are doing malicious things like hacking computers and screwing with people just because they can get away with it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »
They do it because there is big money in it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »
They do it because there is big money in it.

They get paid for screwing with people's lives? ?  I thought we were talking about techies and hackers here, not politicians. ???

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »

They get paid for screwing with people's lives? ?  I thought we were talking about techies and hackers here, not politicians. ???

I suspect they are cut from the same thieving cloth.  The folks that write the rogue antvirus and antispyware are looking to extract money from you for false promises of fixing your* system.  That is extortion at best, considering they are the ones that just fouled up your computer, and will not remove the bugs they installed, even after they are paid.
To add insult to injury, most folks that fall for these scams pay with credit or debit cards online.  You can imagine the fallout from that.
And then there is the whole botnet thing...

*Speaking generally here, not necessarily addressing your specific event.

1937d2

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
They can be big bucks in it. A friend of my youngest son got into hacking. I was his number one target, drove me nuts for a couple of years. Now he just turned 19 and making over 200,000 bucks a year working for a company in New York. If I ever get my hands on him he will never make any more money.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:50 AM »
The kids, looking for online games have gotten me a nasty one. It's actively deleting anti-malware utilities like Malwarebytes.

[edit]
Ahh... Combofix got it.  :cool:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:06:47 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
I thought your kids were like 4? How precocious... :)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 11:55:44 PM »
I thought your kids were like 4? How precocious... :)

They love Stacker and Stacker2 and "Red Remover". They can't even spell it right, but "red romv" gets you close enough on the Google auto-complete, and they click on the first link they get.
I promise not to duck.