Author Topic: RevDisk makes a table  (Read 2276 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
RevDisk makes a table
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

So, due to my work, I occasionally get access to nice material. The production floor boss was kind enough to give me a "loot and pillage" pass for anything being tossed as damaged, surplus, etc. Usually it's just wood but sometimes one finds useful one-off stuff. Combine them and you end up with interesting stuff. In this case, a pile of steel, some incredibly thick wood and some marble slab.

About 15 kg of wood, about 15 kg of steel. Frame is 1/8th inch rectangular steel tubing, support plates are 1/3rd inch steel plate. Wood is 2 inches of solid fir. I'd prefer oak, but hey, you get what you get and complaining about free or nearly free stuff isn't polite. Besides, I'm sick and tired of crappy particle board tables you can't even use to support a mug of warm beverage, couple books, a few Ma Deuces and couple thousand rounds of ammo.

5 kg per end. 1/3rd inch plate steel, 1/4th inch steel tubing for legs. 1/3rd inch welded rod stock cross support.

I happened to have a slab of Carrara marble handy. Carrara marble has a long history of being cradle of anarchism and villainy. Too expensive for my alternative project, so screw it, in the table it goes!

The gaze of the Peep is upon the project.

If this project doesn't work out, I ruined a perfectly good table.

Every table is supposed to have near an inch of steel for support, right?

Yay! Didn't turn out too horrible. Still need to clean up the bed, and uniformly sand down the bed about a 1/16th of an inch. Screw it, it can wait until spring. Debating on sanding down and restaining a darker color to match the bookcases.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: RevDisk makes a table
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
Does it take two men, a boy and a donkey to move it?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »
Looks really nice.  I would do the sand down and restain to match the book cases.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
Does it take two men, a boy and a donkey to move it?

Na, dissembles easily but I move the entire table around by hand. Marble slab is maybe 20 lbs, legs are 10 lbs a piece, top is maybe 40-50 lbs. It's not a lot together, in pieces it's even easier to move around

Looks really nice.  I would do the sand down and restain to match the book cases.

I'm very strongly pondering that. Probably will wait until spring because it's cold out. Just worried about getting the stain to match and even.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
1.  You can't mix metric measurements and American measurements because 'Merica.

2.  Where are the M2s?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
The overengineer in me approves of your properly robust table/desk dealio. 

I like the stain as-is.  Wood goes with wood, IMO, and no need to perfectly match stain.  I like some contrast.

Question:
Did you finish or powder-coat the steel bits?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
1.  You can't mix metric measurements and American measurements because 'Merica.

2.  Where are the M2s?

Yeah yeah, you can indeed mix freedom and commie unit measurements. Because it annoys the French, and that's as American as cultural appropriation is.

http://i.imgur.com/R3LZZkK.webm

The overengineer in me approves of your properly robust table/desk dealio.  

I like the stain as-is.  Wood goes with wood, IMO, and no need to perfectly match stain.  I like some contrast.

Question:
Did you finish or powder-coat the steel bits?

Badly. Someone else did, and did a crap job of it. I need to remove it and recoat. Will need to do that in spring time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
Where do you bolt the reloading presses?

I've started working more and more in metric. I find it a LOT easier to get accurate, repeatable measurements with metric, especially when doing finished carpentry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Can't mix Metric and SAE? Never worked on any US made car from the 80's eh? What a nightmare!

I'm just dandy with the metric system right up to temperature (Fahrenheit man myself cause it's so easy to gauge. 0 is freakin cold and 100 is pretty dang hot). I can approximate length/distance, weight, volume, velocity and conversion is easy with a smart phone in yer pocket anyway.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
So where's the pic with the "mug of warm beverage, couple books, a few Ma Deuces and couple thousand rounds of ammo"?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
Can't mix Metric and SAE? Never worked on any US made car from the 80's eh? What a nightmare!

1981 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham
Waxberry
Gutless 265cid V-8.  Thirsty, and did I mention gutless?

Beautiful car, but as reliable as a two-bit whore.

Not mine, but close.  Waxberry paint and goldish-green vinyl half-top for the lulz plush.

Could be my GP's Interior

The Brougham models came standard with all power options, a plush cloth interior similar to the full-sized Bonneville Brougham, and a half roof vinyl top with coach lamps. The base and LJ models continued as before. All models now came standard with the Buick 231 cu in (3.8 L) V6 with the 265 cu in (4.3 L) Pontiac V8 available as an extra cost option...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
Looks really nice.  I would do the sand down and restain the book cases to match the table.

FTFY.
Formerly sumpnz

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »
I won a demolition derby in a very similar vehicle.  You wouldn't believe how long that thing could run sans radiator  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
We build for furrin customers. i do a lot of metric to the queen's measurement conversion in my head because I know all the common bullet measurements in both systems. For everything else the digital caliper has a scale button. i hate metric.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »
That is a nice piece of work!

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »
Where did you get those nice half height book shelves in the background?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
Where did you get those nice half height book shelves in the background?

Target or ikea, I forget which.    =D

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
1.  You can't mix metric measurements and American measurements because 'Merica.

So I can't measure volume in inch-centimeter-attoparsecs?  I suppose you think recalibrating my tire gauge in ounces per square mm is a bad idea too.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
So I can't measure volume in inch-centimeter-attoparsecs?  I suppose you think recalibrating my tire gauge in ounces per square mm is a bad idea too.

Oh goddamn. I'm LOLing my face off.

Man for some reason, that tripped my giggle box. *gigglesnort*
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »
Oh goddamn. I'm LOLing my face off.

Why?  The inch-centimeter-attoparsec is a useful measurement roughly equal to 2.4 barn-megaparsecs.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
I'm very strongly pondering that. Probably will wait until spring because it's cold out. Just worried about getting the stain to match and even.

You saved some of the removed wood for testing, right?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »
You saved some of the removed wood for testing, right?

Ayep. Or I can just use anywhere underneath.  I need to remove the frame at some point and recoat it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
We build for furrin customers. i do a lot of metric to the queen's measurement conversion in my head because I know all the common bullet measurements in both systems. For everything else the digital caliper has a scale button. i hate metric.

Whenever I make or cut something in wood that has to fit whatever is already there,  I use metric.  102cm and 7mm is a lot easier than 40 7/16th"....
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »
. . . I suppose you think recalibrating my tire gauge in ounces per square mm is a bad idea too.
Well, I set my speedometer to furlongs per fortnight, and my tire gauge is in stone per decicubit, so I say - go for it!

(BTW, temperature is normally measured either in kelvin, fahrenheit, or CENTIGRADE. Forget that $*!% about Celsius!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
Forgot to mention earlier that your table is impressive.