Author Topic: Looking for UPS suggestions  (Read 2173 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Looking for UPS suggestions
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »
My piece o'crap CyberPower UPS bit the dust and I'm looking to replace it.  Power needs are fairly basic: one mini-tower PC and a Samsung SyncMaster EX2220 monitor for the surge+UPS side; a TrueAir air purifier and a small pair of speakers on the surge-only side.

Was browsing Amazon and this caught my eye:  http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCDT-1500VA-Battery/dp/B009TZTGWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1457415385&sr=1-2&keywords=tripp-lite

A bit of overkill for one PC?  What does the hive mind recommend?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Looking for UPS suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »
Hard to go wrong buying a good UPS and TrippLite is a respected name. Hard to get "too much" UPS but it's darned easy to get too little.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 03:07:43 AM »
How badly did your UPS 'bite the dust'?  It's generally considerably cheaper to hit up a local battery shop and just buy replacement batteries, as the batteries are the item that goes wrong the most.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:58 AM »
Hard to go wrong buying a good UPS and TrippLite is a respected name. Hard to get "too much" UPS but it's darned easy to get too little.

Brad
Agreed.  TrippLite is a good brand.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:03:44 AM »
How badly did your UPS 'bite the dust'?  It's generally considerably cheaper to hit up a local battery shop and just buy replacement batteries, as the batteries are the item that goes wrong the most.

Very true.  Those gel cell batteries don't usually last more than 2-3 years.  Although I have an APC 600 VA UPS with batteries much older than that, I expect them to fail any day.  I doubt they have anywhere near their rated capacity anymore.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:10:19 AM »
Very true.  Those gel cell batteries don't usually last more than 2-3 years.  Although I have an APC 600 VA UPS with batteries much older than that, I expect them to fail any day.  I doubt they have anywhere near their rated capacity anymore.

My APC is on it's fourth set of batteries.  Works great.  Yes, at this point I've spent more on batteries for the thing than I paid for it new.  Still a lot cheaper than 4 APC UPS would have been.

Makes me wonder how the hell my truck's battery can still be going strong after 8 years while I have to replace the gel cells in the UPS, as you say, every 3-4*.

*I figure I get the extra year because it's cold up here and I'm easy on the thermostat.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:19:26 AM »
I have found gel cells to be highly variable in their lifespans.  I suppose it depends mostly on charge/discharge cycles and the quality of the charging circuitry.  Plus, the quality of the battery itself is a huge factor.
We have some batteries at work that last 18 months tops in a fire alarm power supply application.  Those same batteries can last for 2-3 (or more) years in other applications.
I've got a large commercial gel cell I got free from a batteriesplus dealer that I knew in Oregon, and it's on year four or five right now.  (He had accidentally damaged a terminal and didn't want in to sell it to a customer.  Gave it to me instead, and I fixed it with a 1/4-20 bottom tap.  Use it to power my radio bench with a homemade charger.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »
I've always liked and trusted APS. I'm currently working in a state-controlled construction office, and the state mandates APS for the backup power.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
APC units perform a self test every 2 weeks. This causes an output ripple. For sensitive applications this can cause problems. On a piece of industrial equipment I went through 2 units including an oversized one before giving up and bypassing the UPS.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
How badly did your UPS 'bite the dust'?

The surge-only outlets work; no power at all on the surge+UPS outlets.  The power light does not light up.

It's generally considerably cheaper to hit up a local battery shop and just buy replacement batteries, as the batteries are the item that goes wrong the most.

I had considered that, but the CyberPower unit was designed such that replacing the battery is not trivial.  Also, there might be something wrong besides the battery.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »
APC units perform a self test every 2 weeks. This causes an output ripple. For sensitive applications this can cause problems. On a piece of industrial equipment I went through 2 units including an oversized one before giving up and bypassing the UPS.

The Tripp Lite dual conversion unit I try to sell folks would not have that problem.  The load is always running off the batteries.  The batteries are always being charged.  And a 1500 VA unit will cost you  3 times what the cheap one will.

I had considered that, but the CyberPower unit was designed such that replacing the battery is not trivial.  Also, there might be something wrong besides the battery.

With that Tripp Lite, batteries can be replaced while the unit is running.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
With that Tripp Lite, batteries can be replaced while the unit is running.

I think I just made my decision.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »
How badly did your UPS 'bite the dust'?  It's generally considerably cheaper to hit up a local battery shop and just buy replacement batteries, as the batteries are the item that goes wrong the most.

Eliminate the batteries altogether; electric motor, large flywheel and generator.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
It's called a RUPS, Rotating uninterruptable power supply. Put a gas motor w/ an auto start on the other side of the generator & the load never sees a blip. We still had one here up until recently.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »
Looking for UPS suggestions

www.fedex.com
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »
www.fedex.com

There's always one smartass in the room.

I've always liked and trusted APS. I'm currently working in a state-controlled construction office, and the state mandates APS for the backup power.

I like APS too, but what does that have to do with power supplies?

(I figure you meant APC)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
It's called a RUPS, Rotating uninterruptable power supply. Put a gas motor w/ an auto start on the other side of the generator & the load never sees a blip. We still had one here up until recently.

But it's not as much fun if it's not kludged together from old car parts.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »
Detcord.

And a piezoelectric generator.

APS: making detcord a slightly logical solution since...whenever.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
I think I just made my decision.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

https://www.tripplite.com/on-line-double-conversion-ups-system-1.5kva-tower-100v-110v-120v-nema-outlets~SU1500XL/

This is the unit.  If you can afford it.

Our wireless ISP division uses a crap-ton of them, and the 1kva unit, or rack mount equivalent.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:13 PM »
More recently I've been using trip light.
Although I have a beast in my home office that was made by Best/powerware. Owned by Eaton now I think.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 05:19:20 AM »
Last power outage I bought a big inverter - no generators to be had, figured I could use my truck battery.  Note:  My alternator isn't big enough to run it at full power 'forever', oh well, the intent was to get enough power to run the boiler.

I figure that if I can find a big 12V battery, I can hook that up - and just use my battery charger on occasion.  It wouldn't be 'uninterruptible', but for my boiler - meh.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:58 PM »
https://www.tripplite.com/on-line-double-conversion-ups-system-1.5kva-tower-100v-110v-120v-nema-outlets~SU1500XL/

This is the unit.  If you can afford it.

Our wireless ISP division uses a crap-ton of them, and the 1kva unit, or rack mount equivalent.

Nice, but a bit outside my budget.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
I've been a fan of APC for a while, but then the little 800VA unit I had decided to have a rather severe failure and not really do anything about it.   Heck, the "change battery" light didn't even come on.  So the batteries are connected in series, and one of the batteries failed....   Well, that little UPS decided that it just needed to charge harder....   I went into the guest room/office and smelled something electrical, and hot....   Couldn't find the source for a while, until my hand touched the case of the UPS....   Hot enough to almost burn my hand.  Well, yanked the plug, let the thing cool off, and opened it up.   Not sure exactly what failed first, but one of the two batteries was so overheated it had leaked the gel electrolyte through the connector.   Won't trust a UPS that just keeps cranking amps at a failed battery to the point of nearly starting a fire.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Marnoot

• friend
Re:
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
I had an APC UPS do the same thing. Another fun thing to do is peel the APC sticker off of their batteries to see the original sticker from various Chinese manufacturers on different APC batteries.

After seeing that I've never worried about getting APC-branded batteries, they just buy the cheapest Chinese ones they can, and so do I :-P

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:25 AM »
I'd do a little research - find one that uses easily replaceable batteries, and their replacement costs.