Main Forums > The Roundtable

Meshtastic and LoRa

<< < (2/2)

dogmush:
Once running the App is stupid person simple.  Bluetooth to the Node (in the app) and message in the app.  All the mesh handoffs are done in the background.  Flashing the firmware was pretty easy, but requires the ability to run a laptop and flash a microcontroller.  The Meshtastic Firmware is in a package and has an online flasher, so it's easier than an Arduino flash.  Once it's set up though it's super user friendly.  If you want it use it as an ad hoc modem for another app (ATAK for example, but there are others) you will need to be able to manage app plugins, and maybe sideload stuff to your device.

Dog nodes will be 2"x1"x5" (including antenna).  I'll drop it in a pouch either velcroed to their collar, or molle'd to their harness.  (Both pups have some Blaze Orange for wandering around in the woods, so they have vest space available.  They are also not purse dogs).  Dog Node: https://meshtastic.org/docs/hardware/devices/techo/ 

I could build a smaller one probably, but by the time I design and print a case for a smaller board, install the GPS chip, buy and use a COTS battery solution and put an antenna in it, I'm not saving much space or money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version