Author Topic: Donald Kagan Introduction to Ancient Greek History: Course Downloads  (Read 614 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I may have gotten the link to this from one of y'all miscreants, but I would like to give a review of just one of the downloadable lectures after completing 25% of it.

There are about 250 courses to choose from.  Me, being a history buff, chose Kagan's intro to Greek history.  I download the audio and listen while doing work around the house. 

In my estimation, this particular lecture is excellent.  Kagan is a good lecturer and knows his stuff.  If you. too, like history I would run your little fingers over to the link & download.

24 hour-long lectures available in audio, med-qual .mov, and high-qual .mov.  Lecture #6, the one where he describes the hoplite phalanx might be a good one to download the video for, as there is a classroom demonstration.

Course Link
http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/introduction-to-ancient-greek-history/content/downloads.html

Other Courses:
http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

Personally, I would think this sort of thing less ideal for courses with a high math or hard science component that included problem-solving.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Donald Kagan Introduction to Ancient Greek History: Course Downloads
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
When it come s to Ancient Greek History, Kagan has forgotten more then all the others know.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.