Author Topic: SCOTUS declines to hear Boise homeless camping case  (Read 781 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
SCOTUS declines to hear Boise homeless camping case
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/16/788435163/supreme-court-wont-hear-case-to-ticket-homeless-for-sleeping-in-public-spaces?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR0BFswDemk5Xvf8urTcCCmLX7G1b17N9MX0R8GRvwUSS6KEzCLVtvowIbI

So for those of us in the Ninth Circuit, it will be much more difficult to have Constitutional laws making it illegal for homeless to camp in public spaces.  The Court declined to hear an appeal from the City of Boise on this. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: SCOTUS declines to hear Boise homeless camping case
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
might also make it more difficult for the state to deny access or create excessive rules on public lands.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:11:32 PM »
The homeless and their advocates say ticketing homeless people does nothing to solve the bigger housing crisis.

"Paying lawyers six figures to write briefs is not really going to build any more housing," said Howard Belodoff, a Boise civil rights attorney.

Maria Foscarinis, executive director of the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty, added: "Housing, not handcuffs, is what ends homelessness."
Except more housing won't solve the problem either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
if public camping is legal, and we wish to make it illegal-the simple solution is arming the homeless.
 In CA for instance, you're allowed to open or conceal carry in your own home or legal camping spot ( in a national forest is the legal camping presumption but the penal code just says legal campsite )

This case could open up lots of interesting stuff, i have often wondered if we could find a homeless veteran with a spotless record - wouldn't it be wonderful if he or she could be able to fill out a 4473 and "not" have an address?
if homeless have the same rights as anyone else, why can't they carry in their home?
NY is famous for the "premise permit" which is not a "carry permit"
can homeless ny'ers get a premise permit?

ten yrs before gay marriage going nationwide i was urging deaf ears in the gun rights community to rush in there and link a bill mixing gay marriage with constitutional or nat reciprocity .....

we may have a good chance with a liberal court demanding gun rights for homeless thusly opening up constitutional carry for all.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."