Author Topic: Christianity Today calls for removal from office for the President  (Read 2940 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/politics/christianity-today-op-ed-trump-removal-office/index.html

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-should-be-removed-from-office.html

Be sure to read the actual op-ed. It is the second link above.  They have some harsh words for the President, and I wonder how this will resonate with some of the President's supporters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Christianity Today calls for removal from office for the President
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
I wasn't even aware CT still had a print edition.  I haven't seen one in 10+ years.  They are not what they once were.

They have some harsh words for the President, and I wonder how this will resonate with some of the President's supporters.

The same political divisions exist among them, as elsewhere.  "Oh, that awful Orange Man!" vs. "Orange Man as great big middle finger to the way things have worked for a century"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
They have some harsh words for the President, and I wonder how this will resonate with some of the President's supporters.

His supporters will, I'm sure, be shocked and demoralized by a major publication saying Mr. Trump is not fit for office.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 05:31:43 PM »
I read the article (online, I didn't know they still had a print edition)  It makes some good points about why the president should not be reelected (but that depends on what other choice we have.)   It did not really make any sense with regard to having the Senate toss him out.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »

His supporters will, I'm sure, be shocked and demoralized by a major publication saying Mr. Trump is not fit for office.

I'm searching for my shocked face at this very moment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
Franklin Graham (Billy's boy) (I'm paraphrasing) essentially said they are full of *expletive deleted*it and he'd appreciate them not using his dad's name to push their libtard agenda.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
^^^I saw this very comment on the national news, and Franklin also said that his father voted for President Trump because he felt the President was the right man at the right time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
I was really interested to read comments to the article at their site from I assume their readership and Christians in general. Once I figured out you had to hit that little Twitter link to read them - wow, there are certainly some opinions.

One valid point if true (from the comments): Apparently this publication never had anything bad to say about Obama, who often belittled Christians. Trump, if not very "Christian" himself, certainly seems to support Christians.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »
I know a family across town who are very Christian, and active members in the local Evangelical Free Church. They are very pro-Trump and anti-liberal idiocy.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »
The broad Evangelical movement is under incredible internal attack from liberal theologians and the students they've taught.

They've gone down the path that has been well trodden by the mainline Protestant denominations.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
The broad Evangelical movement is under incredible internal attack from liberal theologians and the students they've taught.

They've gone down the path that has been well trodden by the mainline Protestant denominations.

Yep.   Evangelicals tend to be on the trailing edge of social trends, and "wokeness" is the up and coming thing.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
Yep.   Evangelicals tend to be on the trailing edge of social trends, and "wokeness" is the up and coming thing.

Who do you think will be the last to fall, the Southern Baptists?  WELS Lutheran?
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
CT  wants Trump removed because the house impeached him?   That's an accusation;  couldn't they wait until the Senate rendered it's verdict? ?   
Or are they back to doing things like at the Salem Witch Trials and in the Inquisition? ? ?  :angel: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
From what I gather the Southern Baptist Convention is already terminally infected and is already a dead man walking.

I may be wrong, not my world. But articles I've read over the last decade indicate infiltration and convergence by "progressive" forces.

Just a matter of time before the rot completely hollows it out.

Then the SJW's will wear it like a skin suit whie they do their social justice good works.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »
From what I gather the Southern Baptist Convention is already terminally infected and is already a dead man walking.

I may be wrong, not my world. But articles I've read over the last decade indicate infiltration and convergence by "progressive" forces.

Then the SJW's will wear it like a skin suit whie they do their social justice good works.
You have an interesting way of with words.  I like it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

I don't doubt that they can infiltrate the SBC leadership and maybe have already.  But since SBC churches are autonomous and the national headquarters is intentionally weak, I don't know that that buys them much.  (I'm hoping that, anyway)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
I don't doubt that they can infiltrate the SBC leadership and maybe have already.  But since SBC churches are autonomous and the national headquarters is intentionally weak, I don't know that that buys them much.  (I'm hoping that, anyway)
IMO, many Baptists are already pretty liberal. 

I think the infiltration would happen at the seminary, not necessarily the front office. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
IMO, many Baptists are already pretty liberal. 

I think the infiltration would happen at the seminary, not necessarily the front office. 

Yes. The Long March Through the Institutions did not miss the seminaries. Get 'em while they're young skulls full of mush.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
Who do you think will be the last to fall, the Southern Baptists?  WELS Lutheran?

No clue about WELS.  Only know the reputation.   From what I hear about goings on there, the SBC looks to me, to the extent that it's "a thing" at all, to be a big good old boys network.  The denomination of my own affiliation, the PCA, definitely has those problems brewing.  (Google up "Revoice Conference", for one example.)

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 06:36:08 PM »
Sojourners outed as Soros front.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/22/george-soros-and-his-rented-evangelicals-outed-chr/?utm_source=amerika.org

Wonder if any Soros money can be traced to CT?

Sojo, not surprising.

And I would not be at all surprised if there were others.  I recall a particular website I was trying to run down, that I wondered if it was a front for something.  Polished, but very vague, linking to similar things, with not real info on the sources.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »

https://babylonbee.com/news/mainline-protestantism-declared-safe-space-offended-gospel/

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
Best I've seen so far on the whole affair.  From the Aquila Report, a news aggregator I look at sometimes.

The Christianity Today Editorial on Trump: “We’re Not Like Those Evangelicals”

It occurred to me yesterday in the context of a somewhat heated exchange with someone who is all gaga over CT-editor Mark Galli’s call for Trump’s removal from office, that all this progressive evangelical blather about Trump as a threat to “the gospel” is really coded language about other evangelicals. His fervent opposition to Trump, he said, is all about “the gospel.” When I pressed the guy about how Trump undermines “the gospel,” the conversation quickly turned to his perception that prominent Trump apologists like Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell, Jr. are discrediting evangelical Christianity and thus making it harder to “share the gospel.” In other words, this brouhaha really isn’t so much about Donald Trump simpliciter. Rather, it’s about tensions WITHIN evangelicalism, and opposition to Trump is really a sort of “boundary posturing mechanism” (to use the sociological jargon), saying in essence that “we’re not like THOSE evangelicals.”

In other words, same old same old.

(BTW, the CT editor's name (Mark Galli) amuses me.   In ancient times, the "Galli" were priests of the goddess Cybele.  All  eunuchs.)

Not to sound Marxist or anything, but I’m prepared to argue, using Peter Berger’s new-class thesis, that this is really about class warfare and that Trump came along at precisely the time when the class tensions between the information-economy-manipulators-of-symbolic-knowledge new class on the one hand and the entrepreneurial-class/working-class elements within evangelicalism were becoming acute.

So what are people to do when they find both the Trump-is-the-antichrist new-class evangelicals and the Trump-as-the-thirteenth-apostle evangelical apologists pretty risible? Are we witnessing the implosion of evangelicalism? Evangelicalism as we know it has its roots in the eighteenth century but really took shape in the nineteenth, so I guess two centuries or so was a pretty good run. My sense is that evangelicalism has always been more sociologically than theologically determined, and I suppose it’s appropriate that sociology is now the engine of its demolition.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Christianity Today has been SJWers for a while now.  They have been calling gun control and fat acceptance ("God Loves my Fat Body As It Is"  :rofl:).

I regard them with all the respect they deserve.  None.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
Right on que, Soris money funding Southern Baptist institution to bring more Muslims into the country.

https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/12/27/soros-funded-southern-baptists-push-states-to-settle-high-risk-islamic-refugees/