Author Topic: Christian health care cost-sharing: panacea or scam?  (Read 994 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Christian health care cost-sharing: panacea or scam?
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:24:57 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/02/health/christian-health-care-insurance.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Based on our experience, we are no longer accepting these plans as 'insurance'.  We would submit bills and they were never paid and the plans never responded to us. We are now treating patients with this arrangement as un-insured, and asking them to pay cash.  The patients can submit the bills to the plans for reimbursement and see how that works for them.  What really ticked us off was the plans telling the patients to ask us to write off our bills as 'an act of Christian charity'.

I suspect someone, the people who run these plans, is getting rich by keeping the money and exploiting the lack of legal oversight since these plans are not 'insurance' subject to the state regulators.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Christian health care cost-sharing: panacea or scam?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:53:45 AM »
That's disappointing to hear. While not specifically focusing on "Christian health plans", I really thought that the concept itself had merit in our current health care mess. I'm sorry to see it's not working. I've only ever heard of the Christian "health networks". Are there others that use the same method but that work?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
The whole industry is a mess. Too many hands in the kitty trying to make a living or get rich.

There isn't a middle man, there are dozens of middle men.

I'm leery of large institutions, including "religious" ones.

If they are failing to perform I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Dissapointing though.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
I read some information on these plans when they started to really crop up in the aftermath of ACA.

A few things struck me...

1. How much they were based on faith... as in, the "insured" has faith that the plan will actually pay, which in far to many cases, it apparently won't.

2. How in a lot of cases they were marketed as insurance products, when they're not.

3. How little oversight there is of such plans.

4. How much potential there would be for abuse of such plans.

Does anyone know what the tax implications of belonging to such a plan are? Are your "premiums" tax deductible as they are with actual health insurance?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »
Somewhat relevant:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/medical-debt-southminster-presbyterian-church-boise-pay-off-bills-rip/277-469d5ea1-dc5c-4d83-ae87-4bd38d67b14e

Back in November, the Southminster Presbyterian Church raised thousands of dollars through a craft fair, as well as donations, to purchase that debt from RIP medical debt, a nonprofit agency that bundles unpaid medical debt and allows churches to purchase the debt for pennies on the dollar.
“In Idaho, we were able to spend $15,000 between this congregation and our regional church and we relieved $1.6 million worth of debt held by 971 Idahoans,” Glass said.

The church has also set aside money to give to folks in their congregation who are also paying off medical bills but haven't gone to collections. They hope to raise another $15,000 to pay off future medical debt.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:50 PM »
My rule is big money in religion type stuff = big scam.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
My rule is big money in religion type stuff = big scam.

Probably applies to a lot of stuff, but yeah, to me it's extra hypocritical in the religious community, especially the Christian community. I don't get how their congregations are accepting of these pastors that have second homes in Hawaii, or even private jets. I'd be kinda upset if my tithing was going to a "Red Cross" church instead of a "Salvation Army" church.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.