Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 451712 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4750 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/31/covid-vaccines-destroyed-wisconsin-hospital/

Hospital worker deliberately ruins 500 doses of Moderna vaccine. What a little *expletive deleted*it.  I hope some sort of charges can be brought.

The article I read, he ruined 57 doses.  I don't know why the whole batch was thrown out, other than to increase the drama.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4751 on: December 31, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »
The article I read, he ruined 57 doses.  I don't know why the whole batch was thrown out, other than to increase the drama.
57 vials.  I assume there is more than one dose per vial.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4752 on: December 31, 2020, 10:25:03 AM »
A Washington Costco had a superspreader event with 150 employees getting infected. I thought it was interesting because Costco is pretty strict on all virus precautions. Not just masks, but they will not touch your membership/credit card, rather scanning it remotely from behind a barrier, and won't even hand you your receipt. They tape it to your cart, and when the receipt checker at the front door grabs the receipt with a clipboard to mark it off, they never touch it. They all wear gloves too.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/washington-state-costco-employees-infected-covid-19
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4753 on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »
The article I read, he ruined 57 doses.  I don't know why the whole batch was thrown out, other than to increase the drama.

The Moderna package insert that I had to read before we could accept the shipment, states there are 10 doses per multi-dose vial.  Moderna does not have to be kept as cold as the Pfizer vaccine, but there is a narrow temp range for the freezer.  We have vaccine alarms on our freezers/refrigerators that check for temp, power outages, wifi connections, etc.  When the alarms get escalated to a certain point, I start getting automated text messages.  I got two last night, at 0230 and 0330 that turned out to be normal compressor cycling.  But the temp was out of range by 0.5 degrees for 60 seconds, so the alarms trigger.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4754 on: December 31, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4755 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »
A Washington Costco had a superspreader event with 150 employees getting infected. I thought it was interesting because Costco is pretty strict on all virus precautions. Not just masks, but they will not touch your membership/credit card, rather scanning it remotely from behind a barrier, and won't even hand you your receipt. They tape it to your cart, and when the receipt checker at the front door grabs the receipt with a clipboard to mark it off, they never touch it. They all wear gloves too.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/washington-state-costco-employees-infected-covid-19

All 145 people that tested positive are currently quarantining, the health department announced in an updated news release Tuesday. The store will also continue to provide ongoing site-wide testing for its employees as it monitors the outbreak.
Last week, the Yakima Health District announced it was working with the wholesale club to investigate the outbreak after at least 68 employees tested positive right before Christmas.
I am curious if this was something deliberate that spread it to a bunch of employees.  In the back of my mind I also consider if some batches of the tests are faulty.  No mention of how many showed symptoms. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4756 on: January 01, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
NYC vs Wuhan on New Year's Eve:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/12/31/we-are-being-played-new-years-eve-scene-in-nycs-times-square-looks-very-different-from-wuhan-china/

I guess China is celebrating how well the bioweapon beta test went. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4757 on: January 01, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
China has pretty much beat the virus, from my understanding.

They did it by being a totalitarian government and enforcing (actually enforcing, with cops and guns, unlike us) measures that would not fly here, but they did it. 

One of the tech folks I follow on Twitter has been reporting on the virus in Shenzhen (where she lives) and there's been no community spread there for months.

They (the CCP) could be lying, but on this one I don't think so.  The combination of very powerful central government  with no opposition party, a ton of enforcement people on the ground, and a culture that is likely to follow any rules put out with little dissent means their shotgun, do everything approach to stopping the spread was likely pretty effective.

Which is why Wuhan has a big party (with everyone still wearing masks, and the US doesn't.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4758 on: January 01, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
Do they have herd immunity via vaccine or sufficient recovered cases?

If not, and assuming you can believe their government, neither they nor the Australians, nor the New Zealanders have “beat” the virus despite having very few reported cases or little community spread, because the moment they let their guard down it will spread again.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4759 on: January 01, 2021, 11:49:34 AM »
Within a week after Jan 20 Covid will cease to be front page news
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4760 on: January 01, 2021, 12:16:48 PM »
Within a week after Jan 20 Covid will cease to be front page news

I thought for sure that would be the case after the election, assuming Biden “won”, which he did.  And yet, if anything, they’re doubling down.  I’m not sure they’ll ever really let go now.  It might not be COVID forever, but they’ll find something else to keep up the restrictions over for as long as they deem it in their political interest. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4761 on: January 01, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
I thought for sure that would be the case after the election, assuming Biden “won”, which he did.  And yet, if anything, they’re doubling down.  I’m not sure they’ll ever really let go now.  It might not be COVID forever, but they’ll find something else to keep up the restrictions over for as long as they deem it in their political interest.  

Trump is still president, got to keep reminding the masses how many people are dying on Trump's watch.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4762 on: January 01, 2021, 12:51:32 PM »
... and here we go.  COVID-19, the sequel:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-variant-found-colorado/73-ac654aef-16f8-4121-99f0-fe009324d7fd

The goal posts needed to be moved because the Covid 19 is not so much a headline grabber. I call it "Goal Posting."

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4763 on: January 01, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
I thought for sure that would be the case after the election, assuming Biden “won”, which he did.  And yet, if anything, they’re doubling down.  I’m not sure they’ll ever really let go now.  It might not be COVID forever, but they’ll find something else to keep up the restrictions over for as long as they deem it in their political interest.

I'd bet the climate change will be the next justification for lock downs.  The COVID lock downs have provided a great test run.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4764 on: January 01, 2021, 01:59:05 PM »

I think the plan is to hammer it now so that the healing magically starts Jan 20.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4765 on: January 01, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
I'd bet the climate change will be the next justification for lock downs.  The COVID lock downs have provided a great test run.

"Look at how much better everything is now that the awful proles can't move, let's keep it like this forever!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4766 on: January 02, 2021, 07:29:39 AM »
"Climate change will be the next lock down..."

There are politicians in Europe who are calling for exactly that... a massive, and endless, lockdown.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4767 on: January 05, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »
https://www.zdnet.com/article/singapore-police-can-access-covid-19-contact-tracing-data-for-criminal-investigations/

Singapore has confirmed its law enforcers will be able to access the country's COVID-19 contact tracing data to aid in their criminal investigations. To date, more than 4.2 million residents or 78% of the local population have adopted the TraceTogether contact tracing app and wearable token, which is one of the world's highest penetration rates.

Coming soon to the U.S.?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4768 on: January 07, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
So my brother heard from a DPS (state police) Officer he knows who told him to expect another run on grocery store stuff in early February as there will be a Federal lock down coming. 

Anyone heard anything similar?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4769 on: January 07, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
So my brother heard from a DPS (state police) Officer he knows who told him to expect another run on grocery store stuff in early February as there will be a Federal lock down coming. 

Anyone heard anything similar?

No.  Last I heard Biden himself had admitted that the feds didn't have the authority to order a nationwide lockdown, and the most he could do was call each governor and ask, or try to make a deal.

And that was in Oct/Nov. He's backed off even the "call the states and request a lockdown" plan since the election, although depending on how the Holiday case surge looks, I guess he could go back to it.

I'm not sure how the feds would even try to enforce that without the state govs helping, and a bunch of governors have openly said they wouldn't. He could try to call out the .mil, but that might not go how he thinks.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4770 on: January 07, 2021, 11:50:21 AM »
I agree with dogmush.

He'll push his 100 days of masks, then ride the wave of the vaccine to prove how he stopped Covid.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4771 on: January 07, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
Based on what we hear from county and state health, I would not be surprised if .gov is mobilized for mass vaccination events.  In a whole lot of areas of the country, there is not sufficient healthcare capacity (hospital, clinic, pharmacy) to do mass events.  A major factor affecting vaccination throughput is the recommendation that patients wait and be observed for 15-30 minutes after the vaccination to look for an allergic reaction that may need emergent treatment.  That means you need a place to park the patients and watch them. In our system, we have been running simulations showing that if we are going 15 hours per day, six days a week, it will take upwards of 10 months to vaccinate a county of 450,000.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4772 on: January 07, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
I vaguely remember mass vaccinations when I was a small child; in the mid- to late-60's.  Smallpox or polio, I don't remember which but I think it was smallpox.  They ran us through pretty quickly in long lines, using some kind of needleless injector.  No observation afterwards; I guess if you had an allergic reaction your parents brought you back or took you to the emergency room, or you died.

They could do something similar but a little less barbaric in public schools; do whole classes at a time with the teachers watching for reactions and paramedics standing by.  1000 kids in a few hours.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4773 on: January 07, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
I vaguely remember mass vaccinations when I was a small child; in the mid- to late-60's.  Smallpox or polio, I don't remember which but I think it was smallpox.  They ran us through pretty quickly in long lines, using some kind of needleless injector.  No observation afterwards; I guess if you had an allergic reaction your parents brought you back or took you to the emergency room, or you died.

They could do something similar but a little less barbaric in public schools; do whole classes at a time with the teachers watching for reactions and paramedics standing by.  1000 kids in a few hours.

I remember being herded into the gym for a sugar cube with a pink area on it, that was my polio vaccine. Smallpox I vaguely remember, the needle or what ever they used was dipped into the vaccine and then you got multiple pricks to your upper arm. I was living in the Territory of Alaska during both of these vaccine programs.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4774 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
Still have the scar from the smallpox vaccine and vaguely remember the polio vaccine.
I also have "fond" memories of the boot camp inoculation gauntlets with the pneumatic injections.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams