Author Topic: Mutant Crayfish Clones Itself, and It’s Taking Over Europe  (Read 1864 times)

MechAg94

• friend
I can't read this one, but I like the title.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/science/mutant-crayfish-clones-europe.html

A Pet Crayfish Can Clone Itself, and It's Spreading Around the World
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/attack-of-the-crayfish-clones/552236/

It was a German aquarium owner who first brought it to scientists’ attention. In 1995, he had acquired a bag of “Texas crayfish” from an American pet trader, only to find his tank inexplicably filling up with the creatures. They were all, it turns out, clones. Sometime, somewhere, the biological rule that making baby crayfish required a mama crayfish and papa crayfish was no longer inviolate. The eggs of the hobbyist’s all-female crayfish did not need to be fertilized. They simply grew into copies of their “mother”—in a process known as parthenogenesis.
Now they are blaming Texas.

Apparently they have spread all over Europe and Africa and may be displacing native species. 

Michigan Invasive Species:  Marbled Crayfish
https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,5664,7-324-68002_73847-528996--,00.html?utm_campaign=marbled+crayfish+prohibited&utm_medium=pr&utm_source=govdelivery

I came across this from a link saying Michigan has banned the possession or sale of these Crayfish for fear they will spread into the Great Lakes.  Do any of you know if there are existing Crawfish species in the Great Lakes.  I would assume so, but never been on the water there.  I am sort of curious about this.  My Dad had some local crayfish in his small aquarium once.  He mostly put fish and minnows from the local pond or creek.  It was overrun with snails.  The crayfish ate all the snails.  Then he put in a small perch.  It was smaller than the crayfish, but ended up killing and eating it.  So that makes me wonder what freshwater fish they have in Europe that would eat them.  I have heard they don't have much left in some of their rivers beyond carp due to past pollution. 

If any of you are familiar with mutant crayfish, please share any other good links.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Mutant Crayfish Clones Itself, and It’s Taking Over Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »
What caliber for mutant crayfish?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »
What caliber for mutant crayfish?

Godzilla

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
"SOYLENT GREEN!  IT'S MADE OF CRAYFISH!!!"  

....... ???......"oh.......okay.  Nevermind."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »
I can't read this one, but I like the title.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/science/mutant-crayfish-clones-europe.html

A Pet Crayfish Can Clone Itself, and It's Spreading Around the World
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/attack-of-the-crayfish-clones/552236/
Now they are blaming Texas.

Apparently they have spread all over Europe and Africa and may be displacing native species. 

Michigan Invasive Species:  Marbled Crayfish
https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,5664,7-324-68002_73847-528996--,00.html?utm_campaign=marbled+crayfish+prohibited&utm_medium=pr&utm_source=govdelivery

I came across this from a link saying Michigan has banned the possession or sale of these Crayfish for fear they will spread into the Great Lakes.  Do any of you know if there are existing Crawfish species in the Great Lakes.  I would assume so, but never been on the water there.  I am sort of curious about this.  My Dad had some local crayfish in his small aquarium once.  He mostly put fish and minnows from the local pond or creek.  It was overrun with snails.  The crayfish ate all the snails.  Then he put in a small perch.  It was smaller than the crayfish, but ended up killing and eating it.  So that makes me wonder what freshwater fish they have in Europe that would eat them.  I have heard they don't have much left in some of their rivers beyond carp due to past pollution. 

If any of you are familiar with mutant crayfish, please share any other good links.

How is this a problem? Just import some creoles and have them teach the french to cook them.

There, I just solved the "experts" warned food crisis.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »
Godzilla

Giant Crayfish take over the Great Lakes and attack Detroit.    ;/..... ???.... :-X

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis

kwoat

...is a natural form of asexual reproduction in which growth and development of embryos occur without fertilization by sperm.  In animals, parthenogenesis means development of an embryo from an unfertilized egg cell.

Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in some plants, some invertebrate animal species (including nematodes, water fleas, some scorpions, aphids, some mites, some bees, some Phasmatodea and parasitic wasps) and a few vertebrates (such as some fish,[4] amphibians, reptiles[5][6] and very rarely birds[7]). This type of reproduction has been induced artificially in a few species including fish and amphibians.[8]
unkwoat

Apparently, the real story is with respect to it being an invasive species.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis

...is a natural form of asexual reproduction in which growth and development of embryos occur without fertilization by sperm.In animals, parthenogenesis means development of an embryo from an unfertilized egg cell.

Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in some plants, some invertebrate animal species (including nematodes, water fleas, some scorpions, aphids, some mites, some bees, some Phasmatodea and parasitic wasps) and a few vertebrates (such as some fish,[4] amphibians, reptiles[5][6] and very rarely birds[7]). This type of reproduction has been induced artificially in a few species including fish and amphibians.[8]
It came from a lab in Wuhan, China.   [tinfoil]

I can see how they could breed out of control and displace other crayfish species, but I wonder what predators in those Lakes would eat them (non-human).  

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
Giant Crayfish take over the Great Lakes and attack Detroit.    ;/..... ???.... :-X

And leave it in better condition than they found it in
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
MechAg94 remarked,

I can see how they could breed out of control and displace other crayfish species, but I wonder what predators in those Lakes would eat them (non-human).

That's the usual danger with invasive species --no or few --or differently adapted --predators.

Take the human species, for example.   The only "predators" limiting its population growth except for places like India, are wars and germs.   >:D

May your house be safe from tigers.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:40:18 AM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
MechAg94 remarked,

That's the usual danger with invasive species --no or few --or differently adapted --predators.

Terry

Which is why we just need to import their predators. Problem solved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
MechAg94 remarked,

Take the human species, for example.   The only "predators" limiting its population growth except for places like India, are wars and germs.   >:D

May your house be safe from tigers.

Terry
And even if local predators keep them somewhat in check, it is increasing the food supply of those predators and possibly distorting the current balance in other ways. 

However, that sort of thing seems to be common in a lot of places. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »

I'm not seeing a downside.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

Not sure I see a problem there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
They are a big problem here in AZ

https://youtu.be/WsnK5k47frs

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
They are a big problem here in AZ

https://youtu.be/WsnK5k47frs
I guess introducing invasive species was a common fad for state wildlife officials back in the day.  Lake Conroe North of Houston has a lot of invasive carp.  I heard they were introduced to control some of the vegetation.  The fish introduced were supposed to be sterile, but the sterilization wasn't 100% effective.  Not long ago the officials for the lake were asking local bowfishermen to do tournaments there to help control the population.  

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »
I guess introducing invasive species was a common fad for state wildlife officials back in the day.  Lake Conroe North of Houston has a lot of invasive carp.  I heard they were introduced to control some of the vegetation.  The fish introduced were supposed to be sterile, but the sterilization wasn't 100% effective.  Not long ago the officials for the lake were asking local bowfishermen to do tournaments there to help control the population.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
This thread is making me hungry.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

How do you like yours cooked?

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
Apparently, you can get an aquarium and one crayfish and soon you will have enough to cook.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »
Apparently, you can get an aquarium and one crayfish and soon you will have enough to cook.

Good thing to make note of regarding food supplies for the zombie apocalypse. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
Oh, oh.  It's CRAYVID-19!  Run for your lives!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
if that is melted butter shooting out of his mouth i'm good.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
And even if local predators keep them somewhat in check, it is increasing the food supply of those predators and possibly distorting the current balance in other ways. 

However, that sort of thing seems to be common in a lot of places. 

That's kind of my outlook on a lot of green-eco things.  It's like a kid's party balloon.  You push in here, it comes out there.  People don't ask what the total energy budget looks like.