Author Topic: Scalia has died.  (Read 8959 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Scalia has died.
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:07:20 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Calumus

• friend
Re: Scalia had died.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »

Rest in peace sir.

Ditto, and we are in potentially deep crap. Let's see if McConnell plays ball right away.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
R.I.P.

I bet O' tries to rush through an appointment; probably another woman who looks like a man with a bad haircut.   [barf]
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
R.I.P.

We are so screwed.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
Yep. This could be very, very bad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
He was the best of them.

RIP

Oh, and we're *expletive deleted*ed,  as was already mentioned.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
R.I.P.

I'm not entirely sure *expletive deleted*ed fully describes how *expletive deleted*ed we are.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
This will be a HUGE test for the GOP - do they block BHO's next anti-American nominee and make do with a court that's 1 short until next year, or do they pre-emptively surrender and allow BHO to move the nation further left and trash the Constitution?

I'm not at all confident the Mitch McConnell - led Senate won't simply roll over.  =(

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »
Ah *expletive deleted*it

And no the GOP morons will roll over because they are spineless

This is really the one place that Obama can hurt us bad
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
And .22 was just coming back.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
I really hated to see this.
We are indeed screwed.
Any ideas on who Obama will foist on the court and drive the US over the brink.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »
Holder

God save us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »
Had died?  Is he alive now?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »
R.I.P.

I bet O' tries to rush through an appointment; probably another woman who looks like a man with a bad haircut.   [barf]

Nope. We need transgendered.

OR

If Clinton wins, she appoints Obama
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Aw, heck.  He wrote opinions that were...readable and entertaining.  Logic actually flowed rather than fled screaming from the page.

RIP, Justice Scalia.

This will be a HUGE test for the GOP - do they block BHO's next anti-American nominee and make do with a court that's 1 short until next year, or do they pre-emptively surrender and allow BHO to move the nation further left and trash the Constitution?

I'm not at all confident the Mitch McConnell - led Senate won't simply roll over.  =(

I share all that sentiment.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
RIP to a guy who seemed to really believe in the constitution. He has saved freedom's bacon on many occasions, and when he couldn't, his rebuttals were eloquent.

I'm in with the crowd that says we're screwed. Possibly double screwed, because I seem to recall that Ginsburg was possibly looking at retiring before Obama leaves office.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
A sad day indeed and especially so for Justice Scalia's family & friends.

I was just watching Fox News; there is already "talk" of the republicans in the Senate holding up any nomination President Obama might make, but there is question whether they can make it last a year. Something may be brewing that may be noisy nasty and ..... well, "icky" inside the bitter beltway of political poltroonery.

Let me just say that other justices are also near retirement and the next president may be able to rectify this situation, and the court may not even hear any 2A cases in the meantime.

We have had the court for awhile now. Let me reflect here that, outside of 2A cases, it has done us very little good. Republican justices have "gone over to the dark side" on some cases, surprising many on the political right.
And let us not forget Justice Roberts, who twice helped render screwball decisions on Obamacare that bewildered atleast me, if no one else.
I will say a prayer for Scalia's family.
But may God help the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »
R.I.P. Scalia  =(

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
I respect the man as a judge, and as a legal mind.  Didn't agree with everything,  but in my opinion, that's okay.

Here's the thing.  To revers any of the 2A decisions, you need another case that would bring the issue before the SCOTUS.  I don't know of anything currently pending before an appeals court.  So, it could be years before the issue hits SCOTUS again.  Not that this helps us in the long run.

Honestly,  I think it would be very hard for a new SCOTUS to completely reverse Heller, and go from individual right to collective right, or none at all.  I think "reasonable restrictions" are where they will go next, aiming for EBRs, or maybe all "high capacity" semi autos.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
This will be a HUGE test for the GOP - do they block BHO's next anti-American nominee and make do with a court that's 1 short until next year...

Imagine a Trump presidency, wherein he nominates Ted Cruz to the bench. The Senate would swat that down immediately, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic! No, wait; beyond epic. Icelandic saga!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »

Imagine a Trump presidency, wherein he nominates Ted Cruz to the bench. The Senate would swat that down immediately, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic! No, wait; beyond epic. Icelandic saga!

Epic enough to air of PPV. Proceeds to fund reducing deficit.

Abraham Lincoln

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »

Hmmm . . . a GOP Senate swatting down a sitting GOP senator from a SCOTUS nomination . . . might be hard on their re-election chances.

How about nominating a woman - say, Jeanine Pirro - to the bench? I'd support that whole heartedly.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
God rest his soul

<yoda >"Boned we are.  Suck it we must"<\yoda>
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
Suck it we must

:O

PHRASING!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
Cemeteries are filled with indispensable people.

Sigh.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.