Author Topic: ID/MT Highway 12, that's the way to spend a morning  (Read 1988 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
ID/MT Highway 12, that's the way to spend a morning
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:28:25 PM »
Yesterday SWMBO and I loaded up the beast and did a quick overnight trip to Missoula with a group of friends headed to Spearfish, Cody and other wonderful places to ride. As they headed east we backtracked West to come back home. :(

We departed Missoula about 10am this morning and started climbing to Lolo Pass. We finished a few hours later in Lewiston ID, had a quick lunch and then tried to beat the rain home (we didn't).

This was her first real trip and to say she did well is an understatement. The bike performed flawlessly.

The really nice thing about Highway 12 is the number of sweepers and decreasing radius turns, plus the scenery that cannot be beat, after all it is Big Sky country.  

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/185/Idaho/The-Lolo-Pass.html

Nearly all of the turns can be taken at 15-20+ over the posted speeds and that is 2 up on a lumbering touring beast.

Now that she has had a taste of riding I can see more in the future. Of course it will take money, as it always does. I will head down to Shasta and get a Russel Day-Long seat made up, a couple of new helmets and a decent comm system. It has taken about 4 years to get her to go on a trip so maybe this will be the first of many. :)

I think I will name this pic  "Let the Games Begin!"  :)

bob

Pro Tip: Frogg Toggs take to vacuum sealing very well. It reduces their bulk substantially and makes a nice flat package.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: ID/MT Highway 12, that's the way to spend a morning
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:17 PM »
That's a beautiful stretch of road. I've ridden it probably three times. I'm green with envy.

Did you stop at Effie's for a burger when you were in Lewiston?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:10:02 AM »
^^^^

We usually go downtown to find a different local place  each time. This time it was a sandwich shop called Stax. It was really good. That's what I love about college towns, there are tons of little places to eat that are affordable and good.

bob

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
Effie's is a burger joint. The first time I walked in, I looked at the menu on the wall and was blown away. A cheeseburger was $8. A double cheeseburger was $12. I called a waitress to ask about the prices. She called the manager.

He brought out a standard dinner plate, and said this is the size of the bun and patty. It's a full-pound patty (cooked). I looked around and saw some families sharing a single burger.

I ordered a double cheeseburger. I finished it, but I couldn't roll over in bed that night.