Author Topic: A little old school photography  (Read 1177 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
A little old school photography
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
A couple weeks ago I went for a sunrise sail.
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=52026.msg1061918#msg1061918

I also had my Yashica Mat 124 camera with me that morning and this is a shot with it.
Kodak Ektar 100, Yashica Mat 124, Negatives lab processed scanned with Epson V600.

The down sampled version for web posting does not do the image justice.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A little old school photography
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »
Sir, that is not a school. It is a boat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:56 AM »
Remind me again what lake this is?  It seems to be a large lake.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
It's Oologah Lake. North and a little east of Tulsa.
Not a huge Lake but not bad by Corp of Engineers standards. For some reason Oologah has always been the redheaded stepchild lake in NE Oklahoma.   Very little development around the lake and rarely crowded. Weekday mornings I can spend hours on the water and not see another boat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
What lab do you use? I'm really frustrated with labs right now. For the last few years I have had to keep jumping between new labs as they either went out of business or started to suck.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
I used a local lab in Tulsa.

http://aperturesphoto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=216

I have no real basis on which to compare their quality since this was the first roll of film of any kind I have paid to have developed in close to 20 years.
I am however happy with what I got back from them and will likely use them again if I decide to shoot more color.

I've dealt with this shop for more than 20 years off and on and have always had a positive experience with them. They are first and foremost a group of photographers and enthusiasts.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
All of that blue is so beautiful, but it does weird things to my eyes.
Is it the brilliance of the photograph, or time to see an optometrist?  =|
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 12:18:55 AM »
Didn't you take those in the morning light?

I sometimes had trouble with blue skies seeming "too blue" because of the altitude.  The higher you go, the darker it gets.    

Sooner or later it turns black.

My problem could have been processing, though --it's so variable.

But I doubt it's altitude in OK.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:53 AM »
My elevation when the pic was taken was about 640' ASL. Probably not.an issue. I took the shot less.than 10 minutes after.the sun had cleared the horizon and I was pointing quite a bit South of East and I exposed for the light on the sails which would have tended to underexpose the background.

The image here shows more green in the blue than I see on my screen with the full resolution, un-uploaded image.
Part of it is the nature of Kodak Ektar 100. Super fine grain, almost nonexistent in the 120 film here but it tends to really saturate colors, one of the reasons I wanted to try it.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
So, that is a developed film photo scanned into your PC and uploaded?  Where is the old school part?  :P
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:03 AM »
So, that is a developed film photo scanned into your PC and uploaded?  Where is the old school part?  :P

Him...the one taking the pictures.  :old:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »

The camera I used is a 1968 vintage Yashica Mat 124 Twin Lens Reflex.
48 year old camera is pretty solidly into "old school" for photography.
I do have the print from the lab but actual prints are a bit tough to upload so I scanned the 120 (6cmX6cm) negative and uploaded the image from that.

Samuel Adams