Author Topic: Origin of HIV/AIDS virus finally identified  (Read 1582 times)

Preacherman

Origin of HIV/AIDS virus finally identified
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »
After all the conspiracy theories, blaming everyone from the CIA to the Catholic Church, it's nice to know that HIV has a natural origin after all - and rather earlier than many thought!

From Fox News ( http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197024,00.html ):

Scientists Trace HIV Origin to Cameroonian Chimps

Thursday , May 25, 2006

WASHINGTON  Twenty-five years after the first AIDS cases emerged, scientists have confirmed that the HIV virus plaguing humans really did originate in wild chimpanzees, in a corner of Cameroon.

Solving the mystery of HIV's ancestry was dirty work. Scientists employed trackers to plunge through dense jungle and collect the fresh feces of wild apes  more than 1,300 samples in all.

Before that, it took seven years of research just to develop the testing methods to genetically trace the primate version of the virus in living wild chimps without hurting the endangered species.

Until now, "no one was able to look. No one had the tools," said Dr. Beatrice Hahn of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She led the team of international researchers that reported the success in Friday's edition of the journal Science.

"We're 25 years into this pandemic," Hahn said. "We don't have a cure. We don't have a vaccine. But we know where it came from. At least we can make a check mark on one of those."

Scientists long have known that nonhuman primates carry their own version of the AIDS virus, called SIV or simian immunodeficiency virus. But with one exception, it had been found only in captive chimpanzees, particularly a subspecies that in the wild populates mostly West Africa.

It was not known how prevalent the virus was in chimps in the wild, or how genetically or geographically diverse it was, complicating efforts to pin down the jump from animal to man.

Hahn's team tested chimp feces for SIV antibodies, finding them in a subspecies called Pan troglodytes troglodytes in southern Cameroon.

Chimps tend to form geographically distinct communities. By genetically analyzing the feces, researchers could trace individual infected chimps. The team found some chimp communities with infection rates as high as 35 percent, while others had no infection at all.

Every single infected chimp had a common base genetic pattern that indicated a common ancestor, Hahn said.

There are three types of HIV-1, the strain of the human virus responsible for most of the worldwide epidemic. Genetic analysis let Hahn identify chimp communities near Cameroon's Sanaga River whose viral strains are most closely related to the most common of those HIV-1 subtypes.

"The genetic similarity was striking," Hahn said.

The first human known to be infected with HIV was a man from Kinshasa in the nearby country of Congo who had his blood stored in 1959 as part of a medical study, decades before scientists knew the AIDS virus existed.

Presumably, someone in rural Cameroon was bitten by a chimp or was cut while butchering one and became infected with the ape virus. That person passed it to someone else.

The Sanaga River long has been a commercial waterway, for transporting hardwood, ivory and other items to more urban areas. Eventually, someone infected made it to Kinshasa.

"How many different transmission events occurred between that initial hunter and this virus making it to Kinshasa, I don't know. It could have been one, it could have been 10, it could have been 100," Hahn said. "Eventually, it ended up in an urban area, and that's where it really got going."

Somewhere in all that spread, the virus became more deadly to people than it is to chimps, who seldom are bothered much by SIV.

The research seems to settle any question of HIV's origin, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the National Institutes of Health's AIDS chief.

When tracing a virus' evolution, "it's important to get as close to the source as you can," he said. "It's of historic interest."
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
Just like out on the range, it can get lonely in the jungle too.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »
"Brokeback for Bonzo"?
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »
"I can't quit you, Cheetah."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »
It's probably just a chimp scheme to get rid of humans.  Chimps are evil.
For entertainment purposes only.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 02:50:48 PM »
Yes, it isn't a pleasant thought (mind image) on how the disease was transmitted to a human.

Why do people do such things as that?  Geez, disqusting.

Wayne

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »
Scientists employed trackers to plunge through dense jungle and collect the fresh feces of wild apes.... Until now, "no one was able to look. No one had the tools,"...
You mean shovels?

Preacherman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
Actually, I doubt very much that sexual contact was involved in chimp-human transmission.  Tribes in that part of the world hunt monkeys - including chimpanzees - for food.  It's entirely possible that a monkey was speared or shot with a bow and arrow, and taken back to a village to be skinned and prepared.  During the preparation process, if the person doing the preparing had an open wound, or cut themselves, they could be exposed to the monkey's blood.  This would be a very logical way for the virus to be transmitted to humans.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

hso

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
Yes, you clowns, Peter has it bang on. rolleyes

Ask any health care worker what prcautions they have to take with AIDS patients or folks that work at the blood mobile what they have to deal with. Now imagine someone competing with chimps or hunting them for food.  This has been going on for decades and it's only the isolated communities and limited travel capabilities that have kept it from spreading when it first became chimp/human transferrable.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 12:30:28 AM »
Yep, Preach is absolutely right up until the point when he called a chimp a monkey. He won't be safe in any ape containing zoo, park or country until he retracts that statement.

Although didn't somebody post a link some time agao about Stalin's attempts to breed a super warrior and that those experiments involved chimps....

I believe that this SIV doesn't necessarily make chimps sick either, if I recall of all the chimps that were deliberately given HIV as part of medical trials back in the 80's and early 90's a very very few ever went on to display AIDS type symptoms.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 08:42:58 AM »
hso, eating is sex.  In fact, it's codified as sex in most states.Cheesy

I don't care what Bill Clinton says!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 07:11:31 PM »
Preacherman is correct on the most likely mode of transmission based on evidence to date.  There is also supposition that the eating of raw or nearly raw contaminated chimpanzee meat may have been a vector of infection.  

So far, the most distant case of HIV was found in a man living in Kinshasa in the Belgian Congo in 1959.  He donated a blood sample in that year that was used in genetic research at the U of Washington, and many years later, was also tested and found to have HIV.  Scientists theorize that HIV may have entered the human population much earlier than 1959, but it was confined to small populations deep in the African jungles.  The use of motorized watercraft first, and then the building of roads, allowed the human carriers to have easy and rapid interaction with other groups which then spread the disease to a larger population.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 05:34:39 AM »
Presumably, someone in rural Cameroon was bitten by a chimp or was cut while butchering one and became infected with the ape virus.
At least, that'w what we hope happened.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.