Author Topic: On the F-100 Super Sabre  (Read 581 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On the F-100 Super Sabre
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »
Interesting article on the F-100. Two standouts to me were the fuel delivery system and the "getting out of the way of our own bombs" thing. Click the link to the footage for the latter. That whole video was pretty interesting.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/f-100-super-sabre-was-air-force%E2%80%99s-first-supersonic-jet-30767

Tangent: Links to The National Interest have been popping up a lot in my Google News feed. While their political articles seem to lean either "never Trump RINO" or commie, I can't be sure, their military tech and history articles have all been interesting and relatively unbiased from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:55:18 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: On the F-100 Phantom
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Interesting old-timey jet.   I think the "fuel delivery system" is pretty much how afterburners work on jet fighters everywhere.
I always liked those old Century Series fighters.  They had a certain elegance.

How did "Phantom" get in the thread title?   The Phantom was the later F-4,  a very different jet.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: On the F-100 Phantom
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »
How did "Phantom" get in the thread title?   The Phantom was the later F-4,  a very different jet.

Because I have a bad habit of posting first thing in the morning before coffee. Fixed. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: On the F-100 Super Sabre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
I was in Portland last week visiting family and took my youngest son to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville.  They've got a nice example of an F-100 parked inside. There are also an F-89 Scorpion and an F4D Skyray in NASA livery awaiting restoration out in the back parking lot.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
Enjoyed the read, thanks. Always like the hun, pretty plane. The fast FAC thing is interesting, it is about like clockwork that military aviation decides that single seat planes can do it all. At least once a generation. I was around at the end of the F-14s life and for Bosnia and Iraq some genius cooked up the "BombCat." First started as a FAC with the  backseat running a laser targeting pod for the F-18s. Then evolved into realizing a plane with 20k pound fuel capacity and a bunch of hardpoints made quite a bomber.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
We used to have 'em at my base.  This airframe is one of the static displays near our main gate.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!