Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Best turkey brine

<< < (2/2)

MillCreek:
In Googling turkey brine recipes, I see the recommendation for self-basting turkeys, like a Butterball is to cut the amount of salt in the brine by half, to account of the salt in the self-basting solution. I will do this when I brine the turkey tonight.

MillCreek:
I asked yesterday, and no one thought they could tell a difference from the turkey being brined, unlike when I brine a whole chicken. I wonder if it is because it was a Butterball turkey that already has a brining solution injected into it. I probably won't go to the bother of brining the turkey again.

BobR:
I usually only brine a turkey when I am going to smoke them. When I do plan on brining I will buy a cheaper store brand of turkey. It is impossible to tell from taste they are brined, it is usually just a little bit more moist and most apparent when you first slice the breast.

bob

Northwoods:
I prefer to dry brine.  A bit late for Thanksgiving this year.  Just a light coating of kosher or coarse ground salt and keep uncovered in the fridge for 0.5-2 days.  Much easier than a wet brine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version