Author Topic: libertarians only have 'old white guys'  (Read 10566 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: libertarians only have 'old white guys'
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
This is where I think a number of so-called libertarians are actually anarchists, and just don't understand what the difference is.

How does Sara's wish to marry Joan have any impact on my life with or marriage to Lori?  In what way does John's wish to marry Chuck harm you, or anyone else, in any real manner?  Seeking to restrict the liabilities and benefits of marriage exclusively to one man and one woman IS NOT a libertarian ideal, by definition.  "Anarchy" has nothing to do with it - it simply doesn't fit into the the capital-L Libertarian Party's stated platform, let alone the broader definition of small-l libertarianism.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 02:00:10 AM »
Note that I, the topic started never mentioned anything about Libertarians or the LP.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 01:04:40 PM »
Wanting to redefine marriage is a liberal goal, not libertarian.

I agree marriage is a religious institution that has no place in government.  That being said I just made up a religion called wookie-ism.  According to my religion, gay marriage is great and straight marriage is horrendously appaling.  I am running for office and am hoping to outlaw straight marriage, as the wookie-ists hate it.

You obviously don't understand libertarian thought.  Mind your own business, who cares if gay people marry, it has NO effect on you or anyone else whatsoever.  If you think they are going to hell, good for you, why don't we outlaw premarital sex too?  Gay sex?  Oral sex?

I'm not an anarchists, I believe in 2 criminal laws, which the government should enforce.. don't hurt anyone else physically, don't take what isn't yours.  There you go, that is my entire criminal code.  The jury/judge system is generally intelligent enough to appropriately decide punishments if you break one of these laws.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:09:41 PM by jackdanson »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »
I'm not an anarchists, I believe in 2 criminal laws, which the government should enforce.. don't hurt anyone else physically, don't take what isn't yours.  There you go, that is my entire criminal code.  The jury/judge system is generally intelligent enough to appropriately decide punishments if you break one of these laws.

Okay. Someone was in your house, but hadn't stolen anything yet, but you shot them. By that, you broke the law and they didn't.

Rule of law is not that simple. It's why we have laws codified as they are.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 05:07:40 AM »
Okay. Someone was in your house, but hadn't stolen anything yet, but you shot them. By that, you broke the law and they didn't.

Invading someone's house is generally a violation of their right to property in and of itself. That's why the government isn't allowed to station troops in the casa del Manedwolf.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 06:17:04 AM »
The same guy that was a member of Newt Gingrich's task force for a drug-free america? The same guy who spearheaded the efforts to piss away the taxpayers money during the Monica Lewinsky scandal? Who voted to make same-sex marriage illegal? Who voted for the Patriot Act? Get real.

Not only that, but just look at the guy; it's like he gets his fashion tips from Art Bell.  Barry Goldwater was stylish by comparison.

But I'm definitely with you on the rest; it's going to take more than a couple good books and an appearance on Penn & Teller's show to convince me he's made such a dramatic turnaround.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
But I'm definitely with you on the rest; it's going to take more than a couple good books and an appearance on Penn & Teller's show to convince me he's made such a dramatic turnaround.

Why exactly is it that you think he hasn't?

He has no reason to lie whatever as he stands nothing to gain by lying.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
IMHO, Libertarians should focus more on the state houses and judgeships (where applicable--like TX). That's where the foothold can be established....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31:10 PM »
Not only that, but just look at the guy; it's like he gets his fashion tips from Art Bell.  Barry Goldwater was stylish by comparison.

Hey, at least Mahmoud "1970's Sears raincoat" Ahmadinejad would no longer be the worst-dressed world leader.