Author Topic: Hillary said yes to Sec of State  (Read 10571 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Hillary said yes to Sec of State
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/television/woodward_knocks_clinton_sos_choice_101501.asp

Woodward Knocks Clinton SoS Choice
Now that it's considered a foregone conclusion that Sen. Hillary Clinton will be the next secretary of State, the chattering class is weighing in, including legendary reporter Bob Woodward. FishbowlDC has obtained an advanced transcript of this weekend's "The Chris Matthews Show", in which the famed Washington Post reporter had this to say about Clinton's nomination as SoS:

Being president is about control, and tell me who ever controlled Bill or Hillary Clinton. They can't control each other. ... I think it's because Warren Buffett and Paul Volcker and others have convinced Obama, 'You're going to have to focus like a laser on the economy. That's issue Number One. And give Hillary and Bill the world.' ... I think people are fantasizing or smoking something if they think Joe Biden's going to call Hillary Clinton up and say, 'This is what we want you to do

I think Richardson would have been a much better choice, oh well Hillary is out of the Senate.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Don't care

Re: Hillary said yes to Sec of State
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/television/woodward_knocks_clinton_sos_choice_101501.asp

I think Richardson would have been a much better choice, oh well Hillary is out of the Senate.

Bob Woodward, like Barbara Walters, has become a crotchety and old with too much of a perceived axe to grind.

He wrote his latest book, that in essence, scooped his very own newspaper.

If it weren't for the Watergate scandal, he would have already been handed his walking papers from his career in "journalism".

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »
Oh, boy! The second Clinton misadministration multiplied by the second Carter misadministration.

It probably would have been less expensive simply to resurrect Stalin.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »
This was the most retarded move he could have made.  For someone to have managed his campaign so well, you'd think this would be one of the obvious mistakes NOT to make.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »
This was the most retarded move he could have made.  For someone to have managed his campaign so well, you'd think this would be one of the obvious mistakes NOT to make.

Gotta agree with SS.  On every level it is a Very Bad Choice: experience, politics, "change", potential WJC eruptions, you name it.

The old adage, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" is not something I would apply to the Clintons.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »
She misunderstood the deal: he was offering her the job of being his Secretary.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
He's trying too hard to prove he's over the sins of the past.
I truly hope there's some honesty behind all these attempts to reach out to people that he's been on the other side of.  (I heard a rumor he's going to ask McCain to be Sec. of Defense, which would be awesome if true.)

Richardson was a much better choice. 
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »

I think Richardson would have been more agreeable as president. At least I was willing to consider voting for him.

Oh, boy! The second Clinton misadministration multiplied by the second Carter misadministration.

You should have heard what Michael Savage said about Obama and Hillary being picked as SOS.  :O

He basically said that Obama is nothing more than the doorman to let the Clintons back into the White House. =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 01:09:36 AM »
Wow, that complicates the big red button pool. Now will Obama nuke Al Queda, Mike Savage, or the Rose Garden accidentally; first?

It might be a smart move, Clinton in the Senate has more political horsepower than the purported leader, They ought to really rubberstamp for him well now, I figure even Obama can lead Harry Reid around by the nose. Kinda hard for Clinton to be too controversial if she is an employee.

WJC, better make him ambassador to whatever country that has no women. Doesn't matter what job you give him or his wife, he is going to run his mouth and get caught in strip clubs, it's just a matter of what will hesay and how well did he tip.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Don't care

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »
She misunderstood the deal: he was offering her the job of being his Secretary.

I don't think I would want Hillary under my desk.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »
Not to be sexist or anything, but we do not need a woman head of state or chief ambassador...

Why?

We're dealing with cultures who assume that women are inferior.

Give those guys McCain to deal with... And have him throw a temper fit a couple of negotiations in, and erase some third-world country... See what the rest do...
Blog under construction

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
What this tells us is that things are not what they seem.  To me it appears that BHO is a child-king with the Clintons as regents in charge.  Since this move makes no overt political sense, one has to assume that deals were made, probably some time ago, among the likes of the Chicago Machine, the Clintonista Brigade, and George Soros and his dark satanic minions.  Barack is a nice young man with a flashing smile and the right "look" for 2008's telegenic times.  He will serve the cause well enough.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Richardson may be less anti-RKBA than the rest of hte Democrats, but he sure did not impress me when he was on the stump.

Not sure what y'all see in the guy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
Richardson is all resume, no cattle.  His main claim to fame is that he's (sort of) Hispanic.  That's what counts these days.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
Hillary makes all kinds of sense if O'Bama believes the advice he was given my his buds Buffett and Soros;  focus to an extreme on the economy.  Accepting the advice as valid what better decision he could make than to reinstall the team that brought us 8 years of peace and quiet.  Bill is hobnobbing with all the right people as he arms them for donations to his foundation.  Hillary is as well known as anyone in the USofA.  Why, between the two of them we could replay Pax Americana.  For years right wing commentators have said Dept of State has run its own foreign policy; regularly cutting Bush off at the knees.  Well, here is BO's chance to harness all that horsepower and put it to use doing something.

Gives me a nice warm feeling knowing we now have a two-headed government.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
This also presents conflict of interest problems for Hillary, as Bill gets no small chunk of money for his foreign policy foundation. Does Hillary represent the views of the administration or the views of her husband's foundation?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
Richardson is all resume, no cattle.  His main claim to fame is that he's (sort of) Hispanic.  That's what counts these days.

Richardson has been:
1) A congressman
2) Ambassador to the UN
3) Secretary of Energy
4) Governor of NM.

Pretty impressive resume, IMHO.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
As I said, he's all resume'.

Win an election, look the part, get some glossy appointee jobs because you have "it," then win another election.  Most of it is b.s. piled on more b.s.

What has he actually done?  Achievements?

He's been selling that quarter "Mexican" blood for three decades. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »
Does Hillary represent the views of the administration or the views of her husband's foundation?
Hillary represents the views of Hillary.  That they happen to coincide with the views of others in politics is purely... well... coincidental.

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
Hillary represents the views of Hillary.  That they happen to coincide with the views of others in politics is purely... well... coincidental.

Not only her views, but everything else too.  Everything thing that is Hillary Clinton works only for the benefit of Hillary Clinton.  There is nothing she won't do to advance herself above all else.  Could Obama really not know this?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »
Not only her views, but everything else too.  Everything thing that is Hillary Clinton works only for the benefit of Hillary Clinton.  There is nothing she won't do to advance herself above all else.  Could Obama really not know this?

Kindred spirits?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

taurusowner

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »
Kindred spirits?

That type of ego doesn't tend to play well with others of the same ilk.  Backstabbing usually ensues.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
Hillary needs foreign policy experience for a bid in 2012 or 2016.

She'll get more of it as SecState than as a Senator.

It's a win for her, and a win for Obama because she won't have nearly the potential power on proposed legislation if she's out of the Senate.  With her gone, who is charismatic (and I use the term lightly) in the Senate on the dem's side of the aisle?

Getting McCain on the cabinet would also be good for Obama.  It would empty out one more "leader" from the Senate so that it can more easily act as a rubber stamp.

As long as Napolitano leaves AZ before McCain takes a position, I'm okay with McCain as SecDef.  We'll end up with a better Senator than McCain for AZ once Brewer (Napolitano's replacement) appoints a conservative Senator.

But if Napolitano gets to pick McCain's replacement I don't approve at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »
BTW, anyone else notice that the only people that Obama seems to know for appointments are coming from either the Senate or from the old Clinton guard?

Doesn't seem like there's much HopeTM for ChangeTM. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
I just wish Obama would choose several more Dem Senators for  his cabinet.  It is a sweet way ti get them out of office, and maybe their replacements wouldn't be as bad.