Author Topic: Green Czar Van Jones Resigns (Topics Merged)  (Read 10550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Green Czar Van Jones Resigns (Topics Merged)
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
I didn't know too much about this guy before, but ABC News (of all places) lays out some pretty troublesome background about him, including being a 9/11 Truther, which he denies, despite his name being on a petition.

--------------------
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/09/controversial-obama-administration-official-denies-being-part-of-911-truther-movement-apologizes-for.html

Controversial Obama Administration Official Denies Being Part of 9/11 "Truther" Movement, Apologizes for Past Comments

September 03, 2009 9:19 PM
Print
RSS
Share this blog entry with friends
Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
StumbleUpon
More

A top environmental official of the Obama administration issued a statement Thursday apologizing for past incendiary statement and denying that he ever agreed with a 2004 petition on which his name appears, a petition calling for congressional hearings and an investigation by the New York Attorney General into "evidence that suggests high-level government officials may have deliberately allowed the September 11th attacks to occur."

Van Jones, the Special Advisor for Green Jobs at the White House Council on Environmental Quality, is Number 46 of the petitioners from the so-called "Truther" movement which suggests that people in the administration of President George W. Bush "may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war."

In a statement issued Thursday evening Jones said of "the petition that was circulated today, I do not agree with this statement and it certainly does not reflect my views now or ever."

He did not explain how his name came to be on the petition. An administration source said Jones says he did not carefully review the language in the petition before agreeing to add his name.

"My work at the Council on Environmental Quality is entirely focused on one goal: building clean energy incentives which create 21st century jobs that improve energy efficiency and use renewable resources," Jones said in his statement tonight.

Jones also said in his statement that "In recent days some in the news media have reported on past statements I made before I joined the administration – some of which were made years ago.  If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize."

With a history of incendiary and provocative remarks, many of them dealing with his view of how whites exploit minorities, Jones has emerged as the subject of much conservative scrutiny in recent days, particularly from Fox News' Glenn Beck. (Jones defenders point out that most of Beck's criticism came after a group Jones helped found, Color of Change, began pushing advertisers to boycott Beck after he accused President Obama of being a racist.)

Jones is the best-selling author of The Green Collar Economy and a leader in the "green jobs" movement -- the idea that clean energy jobs can create jobs, especially in poor communities. He has been praised from leaders ranging from Al Gore to former eBay CEO (and Republican) Meg Whitman, who in May said  that Jones is doing "a marvelous job… I’m a huge fan of his. He is very bright, very articulate, very passionate. I think he is exactly right.”

Earlier this year a profile of Jones in the New Yorker, author Elizabeth Kolbert wrote that "the basic premise of Jones’s appeal—that combating global warming is a good way to lift people out of poverty—is very much open to debate. ... it’s not at all clear that the number of jobs created by, say, an expanding solar industry would be greater than the number lost through, say, a shrinking coal-mining industry. Nor is it clear that a green economy would be any better at providing work for the chronically unemployed than our present, 'gray' economy has been."

But those theories aren't the ones that have made Jones a lightning rod in the past few weeks.

In 2005 Jones told the East Bay Express that the acquittal of Rodney King's assailants in 1992 in that infamous police brutality case changed him significantly. "I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28th, and then the verdicts came down on April 29th," he said. "By August, I was a communist."

Jones and other young activists in 1994 formed a group called Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement, or STORM, rooted in Marxism and Leninsm. Two years later, Jones launched the Ella Baker Center, an Oakland, Calif., based "strategy and action center" which states that it tries to "promote positive alternatives to violence and incarceration."

In February during a discussion on energy at Berkeley, Calif., (and prior to his joining the Obama administration) Jones referred to Republicans using an epithet for a proctological orifice, which he called "a technical, political science term."

Asked why Republicans asserted more control of the Senate when they had a smaller majority before 2006, Jones said "the answer to that is, they're a--holes." He added that President Obama is not an a--hole, but, "I will say this. I can be an a--hole, and some of us who are not Barack Hussein Obama are going to have to start getting a little bit uppity."

"I apologize for the offensive words I chose to use during that speech," Jones said in a different written statement to Politico on Wednesday. "They do not reflect the views of this administration, which has made every effort to work in a bipartisan fashion, and they do not reflect the experience I have had since I joined the administration."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama's "Green Czar"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
This admin has a Murderer's Row of leftist activists that goes beyond the "czars," who should properly be called "Napoleons" (as in residents of a lunatic asylum).

As the man said, they are who we thought they were.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
And once more, an outrage is camouflaged with a media-abetted palliative lie.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
the vast mediawing conspiracy
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
 "The Van Jones (non) feeding frenzy

By: Byron York
     <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bios/byron-york.html>
     Chief Political Correspondent
     09/04/09 11:30 AM EDT

From a Nexis search a few moments ago:

Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the New York Times: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the Washington Post: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on NBC Nightly News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on ABC World News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on CBS Evening News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on CNN: 0

If you were to receive all your news from any one of these outlets, or even all of them together, and you heard about some sort of controversy involving President Obama's Special Adviser for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, your response would be, "Huh?" If you heard that that adviser, Van Jones, had apologized for a number of remarks and positions in the recent past, your response would be, "What?" And if you were in the Obama White House monitoring the Jones situation, you would be hoping that the news organizations listed above continue to hold the line -- otherwise, Jones, who is quite well thought of in Obama circles, would be history."
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »
Spinning the story is not possible.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »
Beck on fox news had a good segment on that guy last week. The porkulus bill cut the Green Czar a check for 15 billion for something.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
In 2005 Jones told the East Bay Express that the acquittal of Rodney King's assailants in 1992 in that infamous police brutality case changed him significantly. "I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28th, and then the verdicts came down on April 29th," he said. "By August, I was a communist."

He may be stupid, but he's decisive.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
If even half of the things reported about Jones is true the man is a world class nut job.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
WH press spokesman Gibbs is telling the press to refer to previous statements made by Jones. It looks like Obama may throw Jones under the bus if this gets much more attention.

Who does the vetting for Obama's appointments? Helen Keller?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:45:06 AM »
According to Michelle Malkin, it was Michelle Obama's mentor Valerie Jarrett who had her eye on Mr Jones as a future mover and shaker.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 01:31:42 AM »

The Hate Crimes Czar will be with you shortly, to discuss your disturbing remark about a prominent member of the differently-sighted community.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:51:29 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

Interesting story regarding your question Monkeyleg:

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/09/04/the-real-van-jones-scandal-why/1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
Thanks, Ben. That's a really interesting article.

The question I now have is how did Obama get vetted? ;)

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
The question I now have is how did Obama get vetted?

He passed muster with the editors of the New York Times. Close enough for government work.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »

Helen Keller read, wrote, and had common sense. Off topic to this discussion, but she did those things well....
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
According to Michelle Malkin, it was Michelle Obama's mentor Valerie Jarrett who had her eye on Mr Jones as a future mover and shaker.

She's a whackjob alright...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »
He's Gone!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32712017/ns/politics-white_house/

Obama adviser Jones resigns in controversy
Environmental official had signed 9/11 petition, disparaged Republicans
Carlos Osorio / AP
Van Jones, an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly "green jobs," has resigned.

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer
updated 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - An environmental adviser for President Barack Obama, Van Jones, has resigned amid controversy over past inflammatory statements, the White House said early Sunday.

Van Jones, an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly "green jobs," has been linked to efforts suggesting a government role in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and to derogatory comments about Republicans.

Jones issued an apology on Thursday. When asked the next day whether Obama still had confidence in him, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said only that Jones "continues to work in the administration."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The matter surfaced after news reports of a derogatory comment Jones made in the past about Republicans, and separately, of Jones's name appearing on a petition connected to the events surrounding 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon.

That 2004 petition had asked for congressional hearings and other investigations into whether high-level government officers had allowed the attacks to occur.

Jones flatly said in his statement that he did not agree with the petition's stand and that "it certainly does not reflect my views, now or ever."

As for his other comments he made before joining Obama's team, Jones said: "If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:22:15 AM by Tim L »

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
Van Jones Resigned!!
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »
He's outa there!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32712017/ns/politics-white_house/

Obama adviser Jones resigns in controversy
Environmental official had signed 9/11 petition, disparaged Republicans
Carlos Osorio / AP
Van Jones, an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly "green jobs," has resigned.

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer
updated 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - An environmental adviser for President Barack Obama, Van Jones, has resigned amid controversy over past inflammatory statements, the White House said early Sunday.

Van Jones, an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly "green jobs," has been linked to efforts suggesting a government role in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and to derogatory comments about Republicans.

Jones issued an apology on Thursday. When asked the next day whether Obama still had confidence in him, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said only that Jones "continues to work in the administration."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The matter surfaced after news reports of a derogatory comment Jones made in the past about Republicans, and separately, of Jones's name appearing on a petition connected to the events surrounding 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon.

That 2004 petition had asked for congressional hearings and other investigations into whether high-level government officers had allowed the attacks to occur.

Jones flatly said in his statement that he did not agree with the petition's stand and that "it certainly does not reflect my views, now or ever."

As for his other comments he made before joining Obama's team, Jones said: "If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: Van Jones Resigned!!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »
So sad. A victim of a vicious smear campaign using his own words.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Van Jones Resigned!!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »
One down, a few more to go!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »
Yep, just read it on the AP. He never should of been in that position to begin with.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
Yep, just read it on the AP. He never should of been in that position to begin with.

No, he shouldn't have. But I think the Obama folks think they can still do anything and not have the press cover the bad stuff.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
I heard / read multiple news commentators last Friday predicting Jones would resign before the holiday weekend was over, using the exact methods mentioned in this news story ("smear campaign", "can't let the lies affect the President's agenda"). There  must have been a lot of "insider" talk predicting this for the weekend. Love how they blame Glenn Beck.

I'm actually a bit surprised that the Obama Administration had such tepid remarks about him when asked about the resignation. They're the kind of remarks I would make if someone asked me about a person who worked for me that was less than stellar. "Appreciated his hard work and wish him luck" would be my code for "he sucked". I actually expected the Obama Administration to say stuff more along the lines of "we really didn't want him to resign"; "He's a great guy that took one for the team", etc.

I'm wondering how much of the whacked stuff he did in the past they really knew nothing about, or cared to know about. Though given the story I linked to above about Secret Service vetting, I have to think they knew everything, thought they could get away with it, and are doing a total "under the bus" routine.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Green Czar Van Jones Resigns (Topics Merged)
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »
Well at least this shows that We the People can still influence the machine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams