Author Topic: Palin this week  (Read 10460 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Palin this week
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »
I listened to 2 interviews this week with Sarah Palin. First was with Mark Levin and the second on Hannity. Both were very good interviews. She is on tonight, tomorrow and Monday on O'Riely as well. I think she's matured immensely since running for VP. Has anyone else listened to her interviews or read the book? I'm interested in other views besides mine on her, her book and her place in politics to 2012.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Palin this week
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:45:19 PM »
I heard the Levin interview.  I thought she came off well. 

I think she could benefit from some speech coaching, that's all; too much sing-song.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »
I only heard her on Limbaugh.  I don't think she's improved much.  I love her, but I don't want her to run for Pres.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
She's improved.  Lots of time spend doing interviews with good coaches will improved just about anyone.  She's obviously had a good ghost writer with her book.  Good work out of her book publicist.  Improvement all around.

Which is basically irrelevant to me until I get a fix on who is in her inner circle and just exactly their pedigree.  I don't care what she says.  I want to know what she does and who she places around herself is an act.

Note to moderators==can you guys ban any discussion of her qualifications or lack thereof for the presidency?  It seems to me the question of a candidate's qualification for the job has been rendered moot so let's just ban the question.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
can you guys ban any discussion of her qualifications or lack thereof for the presidency?  It seems to me the question of a candidate's qualification for the job has been rendered moot so let's just ban the question.

Umm, no.

This is The Politics Place.

By who's decree was it rendered moot, btw?

Civil discourse is my obligation here.  Arbitrary banning discussion of a politician's qualifications, not so much.

Hell, all the Ron Paul threads would overflow the bit bucket, if that were the case...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
Note to moderators==can you guys ban any discussion of her qualifications or lack thereof for the presidency?  It seems to me the question of a candidate's qualification for the job has been rendered moot so let's just ban the question.

Moot it is.   =) =(

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »
At this point, I am not sure she is angling for a Presidential bid.  She claims she isn't.

However, her actions seem to be getting under the skin of a lot of liberals so I am all for her staying in the spotlight for now.  IMO, the liberals seem to make themselves look like the Democrat mascot when they criticize her.  At the least, she is in the spot light and taking all the flak and letting other conservative candidates do their thing without so much media focus.  Also, she is helping a lot of Republican local candidates raise money.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
  Also, she is helping a lot of Republican local candidates raise money. 
\

Yes, that's exactly where she needs to be.  Presidential candidate?  Meh.  Fundraiser and spokesbabe for good Republicans?  I hope so. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
The only reason I can come up with for the absolute hatred of Palin by the "left"(and many on the "right") is that she scares the crap out of them. She is possibly the closest thing to an average American currently in the national arena.
Would she make a good president? I think so. Is she "electable"? Probably not.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »
The only reason I can come up with for the absolute hatred of Palin by the "left"(and many on the "right") is that she scares the crap out of them. She is possibly the closest thing to an average American currently in the national arena.
Would she make a good president? I think so. Is she "electable"? Probably not.

Nailed it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:28 PM »
Here is a workup on the lady's money generating capability.  If (really BIG If) one assumes the ability to generate revenue is an analog of political power, this article may give some idea why the left is deranged over her.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-11-19/palins-gold-mine/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:07:26 PM »
Yes, but you know what the left will say. "America can't afford a quitter."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
They'll say far worse about her than that.  Heck, they've already said far worse about her.  And her children.   =|

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
They'll say far worse about her than that.  Heck, they've already said far worse about her.  And her children.   =|

THe fact she has quit sort of bugs me too, I admit.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
It shouldn't.  Do you understand why she quit?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
It shouldn't.  Do you understand why she quit?

No. Which is why it bugs me.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
Why did she quit?  Money and media access. 

From the article mentioned above
While her followers may buy the whole “average” shtick she’s selling, there’s one thing about the lady that is decidedly elite: her earning power. In July, we estimated that in resigning, Palin had lined herself up for a payday between $17 million and $20.75 million over the next 12 months. With Going Rogue crushing the bestseller lists, she’s well on her way.

It'll do in a pinch.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
She quit because she'd become a lightening rod for the libs, which is good for her and us, but bad for the state she was governing.  The attacks against here were overwhelming the state government, getting in the way of state business.

That, and it freed her up to go after the libs all over the country, rather than staying isolated up in that way north frozen place.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »
I like Palin, a lot, but...

Palin exemplifies the cultural and moral values many of us desire in a good American, but that does not necessarily translate into the person who is the best qualified to carry that flag into battle, especially in a political war that may well put the very existence of this nation in jeopardy.  In my view we need, at this juncture, leadership that does not shirk from what is necessary to turn the tide and to ensure the preservation of the values we cherish.

I am still not convinced that she, or any of the likely crop, is up to that challenge.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Headless is correct on why she bailed on the Gov job.  I don't blame her.  I think it did the state of Alaska good for her to hand over the torch. 

Compared to the person holding the seat at the White House, I'd take her over him anyday.  Personally, I'd be afraid to run in 2012 because the would have to try and fix the crap that he's going to ruin for us all.

Her interview on O'Reilly was not bad.  Then again, Bill can be a bit overwhelming himself.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Do I think Palin is the most intelligent, moral person in the world? Probably not.

Would I want her as my friend and neighbor? Absolutely not.

But politics isn't about that.

But in the present political climate, Palin combines the following qualities:

1. She is at least genuinely right-wing, to the point that she is not afraid to keynote an AKIP event. I was disappointed when the rumor of her being a member of that party was proven not to be true, but until a more radical candidate can rise to national prominence, I think she's the best present.

2. She's charismatic, handsome, and at least theoretically electable.

3. She's well-capable of engaging, and fighting back, against the media.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »
3. She's well-capable of engaging, and fighting back, against the media.

That's where I think she's more talk than walk.  She came on strong in the first week, but since then she's been far too nice. 

That you don't want her as your neighbor is, well, weird.  Why not? 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »
That's where I think she's more talk than walk.  She came on strong in the first week, but since then she's been far too nice. 

And lead us not into temptation? :angel:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:55:35 PM »
 =D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »

Why would I want her as my neighbor?

Consider a parable: Suppose there was a man who was an American, and yet shared my views on society, culture, and so forth. Suppose this man was somehow simultaneously a prominent politician. I am sure you would not want him as your neighbor, even though you might vote for him on occasion. Am I wrong?