Author Topic: Ann Coulter's CPAC speech  (Read 10565 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Ann Coulter's CPAC speech
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
I don't think that Ann Coulter is a great political commentator or strategist, but she's great at delivering barbs with biting humor. Her speech at CPAC was a great political stand-up comedy routine. Very funny if you're inclined to like her wit.

www.anncoulter.com

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Ann Coulter's CPAC speech
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:11:31 PM »

From the linked video:

CPAC questioner asks Ann about Ron Paul's push to audit the Fed.  Ann Coulter replies, "If Ron Paul is behind it and it has nothing to do with foreign policy, I agree."

[Oddly enough, that just about describes my take on RP's positions.]

She has some interesting things to say about libertarinaism vs conservatism.  Something to the effect of, "I wish libertarians would stop talking to me about abolishing marijuana laws.  We'll get there, after we've abolished the Fed, the Dept Ed, (goes on and lists many other agencies).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
CPAC questioner asks Ann about Ron Paul's push to audit the Fed.  Ann Coulter replies, "If Ron Paul is behind it and it has nothing to do with foreign policy, I agree."

[Oddly enough, that just about describes my take on RP's positions.]

She has some interesting things to say about libertarinaism vs conservatism.  Something to the effect of, "I wish libertarians would stop talking to me about abolishing marijuana laws.  We'll get there, after we've abolished the Fed, the Dept Ed, (goes on and lists many other agencies).

That about sums up my views on Paul and libertarianism as well.  Though with one caveat; I'm not sure what the standard libertarian view on abortion is, but as I consider unborn children to still be human, I think abortion is murder.  Plain simple murder, on par with a getting shot for your wallet outside the 7-11.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
. . . CPAC questioner asks Ann about Ron Paul's push to audit the Fed.  Ann Coulter replies, "If Ron Paul is behind it and it has nothing to do with foreign policy, I agree."
Ron Paul was my congressman for a while, and I think he did a fine job there.

Then I heard him say that 9/11 was "blowback" for US foreign policy (along with other inane/naive comments) and I decided that I didn't want him anywhere near the Oval Office.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
You mean the way the Barbary pirates were a blowback for the American Revolution...? =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Then I heard him say that 9/11 was "blowback" for US foreign policy (along with other inane/naive comments) and I decided that I didn't want him anywhere near the Oval Office.

The Wookie-in-Chief may be just fine as Speaker of the House or Czar in Charge of Star Trek Watching Libertarians, but let's keep him away from the big chair.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
The Wookie-in-Chief may be just fine as Speaker of the House or Czar in Charge of Star Trek Watching Libertarians, but let's keep him away from the big chair.

Just don't complain to me about not having enough freedom.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
I think abortion is murder.  Plain simple murder

Even so. Do we need Federal murder laws? States seem to set their own sentences and criteria for murder (defend yourself in state A, you are a murderer. Shoot a stereo theif in state T, you are a hero). I agree with your stance on abortion, but I still think roe v. wade is a little too much government for my taste.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
Wouldn't it be more of a 14th Amendment thing? I'm ok with fed.gov saying "No states can decide black folk/retards/the unborn aren't really people."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
Just don't complain to me about not having enough freedom.

Nope, sorry, I get to complain regardless of who is in the big chair.

Isn't kvetching in the Israeli Bill of Rights?

"The right to complain about the wait staff, seating location, and your family, shall not be infringed . . . Oy!"
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I'm not sure what the standard libertarian view on abortion is, but as I consider unborn children to still be human, I think abortion is murder.  Plain simple murder, on par with a getting shot for your wallet outside the 7-11.

And I might think Cthulhu (all praise his name) runs the universe, but that doesn't make it so.  If you have facts you want to present to back up your assertion, that seems like a topic for another thread.  Otherwise, what's the point?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:50:43 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 02:15:25 AM »
Most "pure" libertarians I know don't have a stance on abortion, as you can argue a violation of rights either way with equal success.

If you allow abortion on demand, you are violating the right of the unborn to live.

If you ban all abortion, you are violating the right of the woman to choose what happens with her body.

Since those seem to be the default positions of both sides of the argument, I choose to stay the hell out of it.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 02:25:41 AM »
If you allow abortion on demand, you are violating the right of the unborn to live.

If you ban all abortion, you are violating the right of the woman to choose what happens with her body.

Except violating the rights of the unborn to live doesn't have anything to do with the woman's body; it's the child's body that is being killed.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »
*sigh*

I'm arguing neither side, and I'd prefer you didn't try debating me on my lack of a stance in my posts.

I am simply pointing out that the argument can be made either way. Whether you accept that or not, based on your opinions and feelings, is entirely beside the point.

Either way, someone is being "infringed upon". Which is why so many "pure" libertarians shy away from the abortion debate: it comes down to a question of "who's rights are more important"...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

taurusowner

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 04:22:23 AM »
Either way, someone is being "infringed upon". Which is why so many "pure" libertarians shy away from the abortion debate: it comes down to a question of "who's rights are more important"...

See that's where I take issue.  You say that it comes down to "who's rights are more important".  But that would require that in the debate, 2 different sets of rights are at stake.  There aren't.  I am a libertarian.  I don't agree with smoking weed or any drugs, but I don't see it as the governments job to tell us how to live.  I think homosexuality is sinful, but I don't think the government should have a say in marriage either way.  I acknowledge the rights of people even when I personally disagree with the issue itself.  But again, you say a libertarian asks the questions, "who's rights are more important".  That questions assumes the false premise that any rights of the woman are coming into play in the first place.

If I want to murder you for convenience, you would not postulate that there is a legitimate question of who's rights are more important: your right to live, or my right to kill you.  That's because there is no right for me to kill you.  My rights are not part of the equation.  Anyone, libertarians included can easily acknowledge that.  And thus, the size, stature, and age of the person who might be killed is irrelevant.  You don't have the right to kill someone.  One can be a "pure libertarian" and see that plainly.  So one can still be a libertarian and also see plainly that infanticide is wrong.  Only the rights of one, the baby, are being infringed upon.

If there were some issue involving 2 people where rights of both were being infringed depending on how you side, I can see where your point would be valid.  A "pure libertarian" would indeed have difficulty with that issue.  What I am saying, that this is not such an issue.  The woman has no rights that are being infringed upon in abortion.  It's not her body.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
Wouldn't it be more of a 14th Amendment thing? I'm ok with fed.gov saying "No states can decide black folk/retards/the unborn aren't really people."

That's the equal protection angle, but what about the privileges & immunities angle?  If a state refuses to criminalize murder, isn't that a P&I issue?  And going further, the Declaration of Independence states specifically that LIFE is an inalienable right.

Which is also why animal rights activists get a lot of sympathy from me, as long as they're not blowing stuff up, because who's ultimately to say whether my life is intrinsically worth more than the life of a chimpanzee or other animal who's subjected to research.  But I also think in order to maintain human social cohesion there has to be a hierarchy, and in that hierarchy the rights of a human come before the rights of a non-human, and rights of a human mother come before the rights of an unborn child.  After all, rights are a social construction (at least for me, as a non-theist), so there's no universally accepted authority to tell us what's worth more; we have to decide.  I'm also comforted on a scientific basis that unborn children have less intellectual capacity (not future capacity, of course, but current capacity) than various adult non-human animals.

In a similar vein, I am also highly ambivalent about Sharia, for instance; I have a sympathetic view of the right of cultures to try out various hierarchies of rights even if I vehemently disagree, while at the same time I'm appalled by some of the consequences of those choices. (treatment of women in many cultures, for instance).

It's not at all clear to me that it's a States' Rights issue, which is just another reason why States' Rights are dead.  When a cornerstone of state criminal law (criminality of murder) is potentially enforceable by the feds if the States fail to enforce it (and justifiably enforceable, just by reading the plain language of the Declaration and the 1st clause of the 14th)... how can anyone claim states have ANY separate realm of sovereignty?

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.  I do not see any way to escape the conclusion that States' Rights as it is claimed today is logically incompatible with the 14th Amendment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:47:33 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
If I want to murder you for convenience, you would not postulate that there is a legitimate question of who's rights are more important: your right to live, or my right to kill you.  That's because there is no right for me to kill you.  My rights are not part of the equation.  Anyone, libertarians included can easily acknowledge that.  And thus, the size, stature, and age of the person who might be killed is irrelevant.  You don't have the right to kill someone.  One can be a "pure libertarian" and see that plainly.  So one can still be a libertarian and also see plainly that infanticide is wrong.  Only the rights of one, the baby, are being infringed upon.

1.What is the source of rights? Is it our status as human beings? Is it something else? Does humanity begin at conception? Not a trick question – the Talmud states it begins 4 weeks after conception. Some religions think morning-after pills are murder. It's legitimate to have a debate on this issue.

2.There are circumstances where it is legal to kill other people – for example, when they are invading your home. It is possible that the burglar has no intent of killing me, hell, he could even have the wrong address and may be thinking he's breaking into his own home, but in most jurisdictions I have the right to confront him violently. In some circumstances an innocent man may be killed, and his killer still acquitted.

And yet the burglar has a right to life. No jurisdiction recognizes the idea that your home is a free-fire zone to shoot anybody you want to shoot freely. The law balances my right to defend myself with the burglar's right to life.

Again, yet another issue on which we can have a debate without calling each other murderers.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
I try not to get into these arguments because everyone pretty much has his or her heels dug in.

It's not a strong issue for me, but a caller to Rush Limbaugh's show made a good point, one I've repeated here before. He prefaced his remarks by saying that he was an atheist, and so had no religious angle from which to approach the subject, but it seemed to him that the only logical answer to the question of when life begins would be at conception, as any other time would be arbitrary.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »
Why is conception not arbitrary?

And why is arbitrariness wrong?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »
*sigh*

I'm arguing neither side, and I'd prefer you didn't try debating me on my lack of a stance in my posts.

No stance is OK, just don't make it too wide, Senator.  Or over a subway air vent, considering your predilection for kilts. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »
>The woman has no rights that are being infringed upon in abortion.  It's not her body.<

Given that I've met MANY "pro-life" supporters who feel an abortion is cases of rape or incest is just as wrong, your argument hits a rock.

>No stance is OK, just don't make it too wide, Senator.  Or over a subway air vent, considering your predilection for kilts.<

I have a very simple stance on abortion: none. Having a penis, I'm not as effected. However, if some woman I've slept with comes up pregnant, then my choice is to support whatever SHE decides (since she's the one who gets to deal with all the physical fun)... 

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
>The woman has no rights that are being infringed upon in abortion.  It's not her body.<

Given that I've met MANY "pro-life" supporters who feel an abortion is cases of rape or incest is just as wrong, your argument hits a rock.

>No stance is OK, just don't make it too wide, Senator.  Or over a subway air vent, considering your predilection for kilts.<

I have a very simple stance on abortion: none. Having a penis, I'm not as effected. However, if some woman I've slept with comes up pregnant, then my choice is to support whatever SHE decides (since she's the one who gets to deal with all the physical fun)... 

Would you say that Jessie Jackson, Faith Daniels, there are more I just can find the list, should not of lived?  They were the product of a rape.

The cases of a woman getting pregnant due to rape or incest is incredibly small.  A woman has every right to do what she will with her body, but once she willingly has sex and gets pregnant, she forfeits that right to the baby in her womb.  It's like getting drunk, you no longer have the right to drive a car.  Abortion should not be a form of birth control.  If a person want to play without consequences, they need to get themselves sterilized.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Would you say that Jessie Jackson, Faith Daniels, there are more I just can find the list, should not of lived?  They were the product of a rape.

It's not up to me to decide. Either way.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
You may want to rethink how often rape or incest results in pregnancy: there's a reason a SANE exam includes a pregnancy test...

Not here to argue one way or another, honestly. It does, however, strike me as almost humorous that most of the folks (and this is both sides) refuse to see any middle ground. It's either "No abortions ever", or "Abortion on demand is the only acceptable way".

And do you REALLY want me weighing in on whether Jesse Jackson should be alive?

I actually side (to an extent) with the pro-life side when discussing abortion as birth control: you chose to tango, you pay the piper. But claiming that a woman should be forced to go through a pregnancy after a rape? Don't care how common such is: it's a condition imposed on her body against her will, and you would force her to continue in that against her will?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »
Why is conception not arbitrary?

And why is arbitrariness wrong?

Conception is when the fetus begins. At what point after that can you say that life has begun? What's the criteria?

I suppose arbitrariness isn't necessarily wrong, but there's easy to argue against an arbitrary point. Then again, abortion is probably the most contentious issue in our society, far, far more than gun control.