Author Topic: Ann Coulter's CPAC speech  (Read 10564 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Ann Coulter's CPAC speech
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:10 PM »
Conception is when the fetus begins. At what point after that can you say that life has begun? What's the criteria?

Why not at the appearance of a brain? A brain is, after all, the host of the human personality, as far as we can know.

Again, I don't know the true answer. This is what state legislatures are for.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Would you say that Jessie Jackson, Faith Daniels, there are more I just can find the list, should not of lived?  They were the product of a rape.

Are you saying Jessie Jackson (who was the product of statutory rape, not rape rape, as far as I know) and Faith Daniels are more deserving of life than anyone else?  That is an incoherent argument, because nobody knows who an embryo or fetus will turn out to be.

I do not see that much of a difference between telling a woman she cannot abort at an early stage (based on the concept that "life begins at conception"), and telling a woman she must have sex and get pregnant.

If the concern is that an unborn child might has a right to life, what difference does it make whether that unborn child is a fetus, an embryo, or an egg and a sperm?  If you're fine with taking away a woman's choice to have an abortion, I don't see why you're not fine with taking away everyone's right not to procreate.  Think about all the great and wonderful people who are not being born because most people in society exercise too much restraint and/or use birth control?  Aren't there lives more important than the right of people to choose whether or not to have sex?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »
Why not at the appearance of a brain? A brain is, after all, the host of the human personality, as far as we can know.

"As far as we can know."  Not a very bright line. 

I do not see that much of a difference between telling a woman she cannot abort at an early stage (based on the concept that "life begins at conception"), and telling a woman she must have sex and get pregnant.

You expect us to take that seriously?  No person of sound mind could possibly fail to understand that distinction. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
Conception is when the fetus begins. At what point after that can you say that life has begun? What's the criteria?

The current criterion we have, which will work for a while -- until scientists can get a child to survive in vitro from the embryo stage to viability -- is birth.  It is arbitrary.  It is also better than conception for a bunch of reasons, most of all because it does not infringe on the rights of the mother based on philosophical notions of what an unborn child is or might become.

Quote from: Microbalrog

Why at the appearance of a brain?  Are humans the only creatures that have brains?  If having a brain automatically imbues a creature with fundamental human rights, then we'd best shut down all animal experimentation and all become vegans.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
The current criterion we have, which will work for a while -- until scientists can get a child to survive in vitro from the embryo stage to viability -- is birth.  It is arbitrary.  It is also better than conception for a bunch of reasons, most of all because it does not infringe on the rights of the mother based on philosophical notions of what an unborn child is or might become.

Why at the appearance of a brain?  Are humans the only creatures that have brains?  If having a brain automatically imbues a creature with fundamental human rights, then we'd best shut down all animal experimentation and all become vegans.

Why pick birth? The child can't live on its own. Might as well let the parents "expose" the child like they did in Rome.

At least they're not actively killing the baby.

I bet you think that's barbaric, though.

Edit: Also, soooo, how about Ann Coulter?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
The current criterion we have, which will work for a while -- until scientists can get a child to survive in vitro from the embryo stage to viability -- is birth.  It is arbitrary.  It is also better than conception for a bunch of reasons, most of all because it does not infringe on the rights of the mother based on philosophical notions of what an unborn child is or might become.

Well, that's laughable for a bunch of reasons, but one will do.  There's no reason why parents' responsibility to care for a child shouldn't extend before birth, as well as after.  If such infringes on her rights before birth, there's no reason why it shouldn't infringe afterward.

Wait, I'm sorry.  I don't mean to mock your pre-scientific worldview, where you can't see inside the womb. 

Oh, wait again.  I keep trying to tell myself not to get into "debates" with the good Germans.   =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
Actually, we can see into the womb.

Which is exactly why I think that early-stage foetuses are not human beings.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
@fistful, makattak

There's always adoption.  Once born a child is no longer bound inextricably to one person who must care for it.

And no, I don't think the Romans were particularly barbaric, any more than I think chimpanzees are barbaric for not building motor vehicles.  Just because society rejects a certain activity now doesn't mean we have to retroactively label anyone who ever engaged in that activity to be barbarians.

I don't mean to mock your pre-scientific worldview, where you can't see inside the womb.
Is it what you see, or what you want to see, that guides your enlightened, post-scientific worldview?

Oh cool, I'm a Nazi.  I guess that should go in my bio.  Thanks for noting that omission.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

Edit: Also, soooo, how about Ann Coulter?

Yeah, how about that Ann Coulter? You guys should know by now that abortion is one of the topics where people have strong opinions, most minds are made up, and the thread always devolves into indignant responses and name calling. Can we get back to the original topic, or at least thread drift in another direction, so we don't have to lock the thread? Thanks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Ben you are right, this is not an abortion thread.  I am very prolife, so I am backing out of the thread.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
This is one of those times where the inevitable APS thread drift is not a good thing.  How about we get it back on track, folks.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
The US hockey team darn near beat Canada for the Gold tonight. They were down 2 to 1 and scored a goal with 24.4 seconds left on the clock and even it up at 2 ea. and put it into sudden death OT.

US played a real good game for the Silver.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 12:49:51 AM »
The US hockey team darn near beat Canada for the Gold tonight. They were down 2 to 1 and scored a goal with 24.4 seconds left on the clock and even it up at 2 ea. and put it into sudden death OT.

US played a real good game for the Silver.

Does Ann Coulter play for the US hockey team, or is this thread drifting even further? ;)

taurusowner

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »
Hockey is of the utmost importance to all topics and aspects of life.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
Does Ann Coulter play for the US hockey team, or is this thread drifting even further? ;)
at least i'm not the only one. :angel: it's nice to have company for a change. [popcorn]

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Has Ann ever opined on bacon? mmmm, I love bacon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Has Ann ever opined on bacon? mmmm, I love bacon.

She's in favor of it, though I don't think she eats much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
She's in favor of it, though I don't think she eats much.
I think I would make that assumption as well.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »
>No stance is OK, just don't make it too wide, Senator.  Or over a subway air vent, considering your predilection for kilts.<

I have a very simple stance on abortion: none. Having a penis, I'm not as effected. However, if some woman I've slept with comes up pregnant, then my choice is to support whatever SHE decides (since she's the one who gets to deal with all the physical fun)... 

OK, I retract my indifference toward your written stance and hereby call it ridicule-worthy.

Sense, it does not make.  Or, it makes sense in as much as only slave-owners could properly have an opinion on slavery in America before the Civil War.  After all, they were the ones who had to clothe, feed,and clean up after the slaves...

I would suggest that such issues are best thought on with the other head.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
OK, I retract my indifference toward your written stance and hereby call it ridicule-worthy.

Sense, it does not make.  Or, it makes sense in as much as only slave-owners could properly have an opinion on slavery in America before the Civil War.  After all, they were the ones who had to clothe, feed,and clean up after the slaves...

I would suggest that such issues are best thought on with the other head.

You do realize this road is going to lead to a locked thread?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Actually Dick, that's one of the points that can be made with this issue (and has been made, many times). Let me quote the last mod comment:

You guys should know by now that abortion is one of the topics where people have strong opinions, most minds are made up, and the thread always devolves into indignant responses and name calling

Happens almost every time.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
You probably ought to lock it down, Dick.  It's way off course, not likely to come back, and there is the smell of smoke.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
You probably ought to lock it down, Dick.  It's way off course, not likely to come back, and there is the smell of smoke.

Smoking is bad!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
Sure is, and I speak from experience.

This thread is officially off-topic, incendiary, loopy and locked. ;)