Author Topic: Boston Police locked down the entire city... except the Dunkin' Donuts.  (Read 10557 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Re: Boston Police locked down the entire city... except the Dunkin' Donuts.
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
At least the next bombers will know where to plant the sticky bombs.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
One criminal or one group of criminals, no matter how asplodey their toys are, doesn't mean you just shut down a whole fracking city.

They shut down Williston, ND?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
So if some terrorist/idiot starts successfully setting off bombs in your town, do you want all the businesses to stay open if they are still loose in the town and potentially still carrying explosives?

I for one always want donut shops to stay open. If the donut shops close, America has lost.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
They shut down Williston, ND?

Everyone stay in the bar that you are in right now!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
Everyone stay in the bar that you are in right now!

or head to The Winchester!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »

So if some terrorist/idiot starts successfully setting off bombs in your town, do you want all the businesses to stay open if they are still loose in the town and potentially still carrying explosives?

I know you want to be the one to kill 'em with your Garand?

Yeah, sure, why not?  We just had a lesson in how ineffective shutting the city down was in helping capture actual terrorist bombers in hiding. 

We had home grown JBTs going all third-world Latin American fascist in Beantown and they came up with bupkis, until they un-shut the place down and Joe Citizen found him and called the police.  Beyond parody.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »
Yeah, sure, why not?  We just had a lesson in how ineffective shutting the city down was in helping capture actual terrorist bombers in hiding. 

We had home grown JBTs going all third-world Latin American fascist in Beantown and they came up with bupkis, until they un-shut the place down and Joe Citizen found him and called the police.  Beyond parody.

Tell me what do you think would have happened if they didn't lock down the town. Remember these guys were tossing explosives at cops and they even killed one on MIT campus.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:31 AM »
Tell me what do you think would have happened if they didn't lock down the town. Remember these guys were tossing explosives at cops and they even killed one on MIT campus.

Current APS answer: That guy killing cops is A-OK because every last one of them is a JBT!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
being a low wage worker I agree with az red...

but I donut wish to make any controversial statements, my fave Donuts are Jelly Rolls...but I am so far out in the bush we donut have any stores out here. [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
being a low wage worker I agree with az red...

but I donut wish to make any controversial statements, my fave Donuts are Jelly Rolls...but I am so far out in the bush we donut have any stores out here. [popcorn]

Foul: double punning.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »

Caught sooner.  Remember, the remaining guy was holed up in a boat that the owner was prevented from accessing during the shut-down.

Also, pipe bombs, not nukes.  Pretty weak tea, otherwise we would have been issued pipe bombs and not frag grenades back when I worked for Uncle Sam.  Also, more (realized and potential) bomb-throwers get kersplodied by their own chemistry experiments than do innocents, when they try to cook up the more potent explosives. 

There was no good reason to lock the town down, especially after determining the threat level.  They killed fewer people at the marathon and afterwards (up to the capture of the second suspect) than Chicago's murder rate projects for a similar number of days.  If they got lucky, they would have matched Chicago's murder rate for their days at large.  The difference lies in the sort of person killed and means.  Nobody gives a damn about thugs killing thugs in Chicago (or Boston).  But kill middle-class marathon-goers and you get the city shut down, armored vehicles rolling down the streets, and puffed up mall ninjas ordering taxpayers from their homes at gunpoint.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
So your ideal "response" would be do what?
Allow them to use their stash about town till they got caught?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend

Uh, not lock down the city and keep looking.  Release photos/descriptions of suspects. 

Locking the place down is a fine way to ensure you won't find folks.  As they are holed up and will remain so until the lock-down is lifted and there are too many holes to ever search in a timely manner.  Heck, the neighborhood he was holed up in was searched and they did not find him.  This is not rocket science, just simple math.  Letting these guys move about increases the odds of catching them. 

They used their "stash" against their pursuers, when pursuit got close.  I suspect they would have done so, lock-down or no lock-down.  Before the lock-down, there are reports of the suspects going out & about, doing non-terroristy things like regular folk.  Even if they did go to ground after their descriptions were disseminated, it is easier to note someone not around when everyone else is about, rather than just assuming they are holed up like everyone else.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

Highly suggest that the residents stay indoors.
Knock and ask permission to search homes IAW the 4th amendment. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Wow, I'm shocked at how many here are OK with martial law.

http://jimbovard.com/blog/2013/04/22/boston-death-sentence-for-looking-out-window/
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

http://jimbovard.com/blog/2013/04/22/boston-death-sentence-for-looking-out-window/

Martial law also has a way to taking care of looters and other opportunists of disasters.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
It's not every day that you get a situation of the magnitude of a wounded teenager running around trying to keep away from the cops  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Martial law also has a way to taking care of looters and other opportunists of disasters.

Apples and oranges but rationalize it all you want.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
It's not every day that you get a situation of the magnitude of a wounded teenager running around trying to keep away from the cops  :O

Hey, dude was in a boat and was known to use black powder.  IOW, a pirate.  And just what is the best way to go after pirates?  With ninjas...
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
The cops shot the poor guy's boat to hell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313052/Boston-bombings-Up-close-look-bloodied-bullet-riddled-boat-bombing-suspect-hid-hero-owner-tries-avoid-spotlight.html

Reminds me of Quigley Down Under, when the two Marston thugs shot up the dingy on the beach that they thought Quigley was hiding under  =(

Funny how this stuff doesn't get published in American media  =|

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
There was no good reason to lock the town down, especially after determining the threat level.

You forget- owning shiny tanks and MRAPS means they have a need to find a reason to try them out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
One time, a long long time ago.
I lived in a 5 story walk up in The Bronx, the 4th and 5th floor caught fire and we were on the first floor.
Everybody in the building had to evacuate at 3am in snow/drizzle ... except for out family.
Dad and mom started brewing pots of coffee for the firefighters, it seemed to me we had as many in our apt as there was going up the stairs.
We had donuts too, I cant recall where they came from
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »

Except it wasn't martial law.  You might want to read up on what martial law really is.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I