Author Topic: Foreign Languages, and the learning thereof  (Read 9576 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Foreign Languages, and the learning thereof
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005, 07:21:56 AM »
Bemidjiblade, about that...

I need to pick up Greek because I want to be a Lutheran Pastor some day.
The Greek is fine, but skip the latter part, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:01 AM »
Gewehr,

Either way, I still want to learn Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic.  I had a speaker one day who had a Bible of the Masoretic text and the Koine greek.  She was so good w/ the original languages that she read them outloud in English.

Ordination or not... my eyes crossed like a gearhead looking at a high-end car.  I've GOT to get me one of those some day.

But first I've got to earn it, and I've got 2 languages to go.  But I've found so many amazing things in the Masoretic (Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensia) that I've only whetted my appetite for more.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:48 AM »
Gewher:
I'm referring to Americans, not our invaders from the South.  If our American born population was more educated, including foriegn languages, we'd stand a better chance in the world economy.  Instead, our fearless leaders attach federal monies to things like teaching Abstience...which doesn't do diddle to prepare a young person to deal in the global market.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »
I dunno.  I think not being a father at 16 helps a lot with educational opportunities.  It's pretty hard to get through college and compete in the global market while working full time at McDonalds to support your family.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 10:14:49 AM »
Quote from: Bemidjiblade
I dunno.  I think not being a father at 16 helps a lot with educational opportunities.  It's pretty hard to get through college and compete in the global market while working full time at McDonalds to support your family.
Sexual education should be taught, but the federal government mandates that it be taught a certain way, and then attaches federal money to it.  And the parents have way more culpability in this than the schools.
Good job not knocking up your girlfriend, Joey, but how many words per minute can you type?  None?  Oh, but you can text pretty fast....yea, that doesn't do us any good.  What about languages?  None....hmmmm....we'll let you know....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:56 AM »
Spanish and French.

I can be slapped by pretty girls in both languages.

I tried Russian, but we hit declensions and my head exploded.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 11:19:54 AM »
I was truly awful at French.

I keep meaning to learn Spanish. I even got hold of a free mp3 from an American site a while back. Unfortunately I don't want to be the English guy in Spain who speaks with a thick Mexican accent.

Languages aren't my thing, despite my very passable English. I need to really sit down one day and begin to get a handle on English grammar, I reckon that will help future foreign language endeavours.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 12:05:30 PM »
Hee - I can relate.

My Japanese crowds my French and vice-versa.

But I can order in restaurants, at any rate...

Edited to add...

I always wondered what happens when one becomes fluent in a foreign language.  Does one begin thinking in that language?

Seems to me to be a good insight into another culture...
To the stars!

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
Besides English?  My Spanish is pretty good, and when I use it regularly then I'm pretty fluent.  I can understand spoken French and Italian, and I can read Portuguese.

My darling bride can sing in French, Italian, Russian, and Yiddish.  Do those count?

James

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 12:19:15 PM »
Gewehr,

But first I've got to earn it, and I've got 2 languages to go.  But I've found so many amazing things in the Masoretic (Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensia) that I've only whetted my appetite for more.
The Biblia Hebraica is a joke.  A bunch of Germans think they're dealing with Homer.  Skip it for a traditional text.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »
Thomas the Danish immigrant answered the question I posed re: "What language are you thinking in?"

With: "It depends."

Sigh.  No help at all...
To the stars!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 12:56:30 PM »
Quote from: Typhoon
I always wondered what happens when one becomes fluent in a foreign language.  Does one begin thinking in that language?

Seems to me to be a good insight into another culture...
When you are immersed in a culture that speaks another language, eventually, two things happen:
You beging to THINK (short phrases at first, stream of consciousness later) in that language,
and then...
You begin to DREAM in that language.
Very surreal.

El Tejon, there WAS a latina girlfriend once.  Just long enough for me to wise up and marry a big blonde 'Murikan woman. Wink

Las latinas tiene sangre demasiado caliente por mi.
Loosely, Latinas are too hot-blooded for me.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 11:37:35 PM »
Four years in High School and four years in college of German. I graduated college in '93, and have had little practice. I still know some good cuss words, though.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

igor

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 02:18:09 AM »
Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, German, French and English, all on a fluent working level. I can manage as a tourist in Spanish and Estonian on top of those. Learning Russian would be a smart career move here but the threshold in that linguistic direction seems pretty high.

In Finnish public schools everybody's required to take at least one foreign language for seven years in addition to the second domestic official one which one takes for three years. 6% of the people have Swedish as their first language so they take Finnish, the rest of us vice versa. Most do English as first foreign language, obviously, with German a distant second. In practice everyone speaks English at least on the level of our Formula 1 Grand Prix stars... Wink and many take a second foreign language too. Swedish is generally understood but not very well spoken. Russian is still not popular at all.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 09:34:37 AM »
Rabbi,
Can you suggest a better copy of the Masoretic text?  I'm more than willing to look into it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 09:51:53 AM »
"Does one begin thinking in that language?"

Yes.

I was getting very close to being fluent in Spanish. I really needed to do some traveling to break through the final barrier, but there were a number of times when I suddenly realized that I was thinking in Spanish.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 09:59:10 AM »
Rabbi,
Can you suggest a better copy of the Masoretic text?  I'm more than willing to look into it.
Any copy of Chamishei Chumshei Torah will do.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 10:09:47 AM »
Well, I used to teach a few Puerto Rican guys some stuff about HVAC and they told me the best way to learn Spanish was to date a pretty Spanish girl. They said, "You'll learn Spanish in no time!" Sounded like a great recommendation to me. My WIFE probably wouldn't like the idea however...

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 06:57:31 PM »
I've studied Greek, Latin, French, and German, none of which have stayed with me except in bits and pieces.

That said", the mental effort involved in studying other languages enabled me to master English, and the discipline has proved of great value innumerable times.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
I'm at the DLI in California right now. Going to be learning Arabic once my class starts. I like the shirts around here:

"DLI - We learn Arabic so you don't have to." (Insert language of preference where Arabic is.)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2005, 04:58:04 PM »
3 yrs German in High School.  I can remember some of it when I want.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2005, 05:11:54 PM »
German (high school and college) and Spanish (bartender for a Mexican family who owned a Mexican restasurant. One summer at college my sister and I took immersion German. Four hours per day, five days a week for 13 weeks. You WILL learn a language with that type of use. Same with my Spanish. Six to eight hour bar shifts 4-5 days per week for over six years. You learn fast.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »
I like to think I've done pretty well with learning English...

Really. English is nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2005, 12:48:13 PM »
Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2005, 12:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Tallpine
Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig
Trans:
Eat At Joe's!