Author Topic: Melting Pot or Salad Bowl?  (Read 2000 times)

Shalako

Melting Pot or Salad Bowl?
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:44:39 AM »
America used to be called a melting pot of all the different ethnicities and backgrounds. I liked that analogy. Way back in elementary school we learned of lots of different cultures and I combined them in my mind to envision a dynamic America that could exemplify the best features of all the included parts.

Now days, they teach the salad bowl theory. Rather than simmering all the ethnicities and backgrounds together to make a rich broth, "Diversity" keeps everyone seperate and distinct. I like soup AND salad, so maybe the Salad Bowl analogy is ok too? I'm just not sure you get the synergy of the simmering broth in a salad though.

Herein lies my confusion: where is the white dude's role in the salad bowl? Come to think of it, Heinz 57 is not a real ethnicity so I don't even bring a distinct flavor at all to the mix. If a salad is enriched by all this great diversity, that leaves us boring ol white dudes kind of standing on the fringe of the bowl like crusted cheese that no one washed off. Or maybe iceberg lettuce, ... :barfy:

Maybe I'm starting to revert back to a melting pot idea. There maybe I can contribute at least as stock or celery or something.

Any thoughts?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:32:49 AM »
You're in the lettuce league.

You provide the majority of the bulk of the "salad" in a very understated way. Easy to over look your contributions.

Remove you, though, and there's a huge, gaping hole.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:14:53 PM »
I think you hit on one of the big pushes of those who promote "diversity": pushing those of us identified as "white" to the sides...

Overheard a white girl and a black girl talking at a coffee shop. The white girl was telling the black girl "I envy you people your culture and heritage. We don't really have anything like that".

Ain't THAT a pretty picture?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
White dude=bowl.

Supporting the other ingredients and keeping it all together.

...I'm a little vinegary today, sorry.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

onions!

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:37:17 PM »
White dude=croutons.

Drowning in a dressing of ambiguity.Becoming soggy-Nay!,falling apart because so many of our youths desire someone else's heritage.

Destined to be the dregs given up for Fido's attention.

Now if we could only be the tomatoes.Spreading our seeds throughout the mix & adding flavor to the whole.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:51:14 AM »
Think "Chunky Stew"-You can recognize all the ingredients, and taste what they add, but it is undeniably a meat dish.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 09:26:51 AM »
Chunky Stew.  I like that.  Must be why I wear size 40 pants.  Sigh...A man's pant size should coincide with the caliber he prefers.  HEH.  Sorry for the Veer.

I vote for the melting pot vs the salad.   A hearty stew sustains a person.  Salads are roughage; good for the bowels and not much else.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 09:48:16 AM »
Is this thread making anyone else hungry?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 10:02:24 AM »
Only in an icky, Soylent Green sort of way...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 10:07:37 AM »
[Homer drewl]  Mmmmm fondu... Mmmm mixed salad [/homerdrewl]
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 04:59:47 AM »
Herein lies my confusion: where is the white dude's role in the salad bowl?
Tofu?  The very idea turns off most salad eaters I know.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Shalako

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:25:22 AM »
Thanks for the responses folks. I knew I could count on this place for insight to this abstract question.

Tofu, huh? Dang, at least that's better than Jicama.....

If I had any Hispanic in me I'd say make it a taco salad. That would rock!

Maybe it's lettuce afterall. On its own its not really palatable, but with all the other goodies its pretty good. That's why the salad analogy seems to suck a tad bit.