Author Topic: Disguising myself.  (Read 4133 times)

Disguising myself.
« on: September 28, 2005, 05:33:09 PM »
I can't find much information on good disguise technique or kits online. Basically I want to disguise my face to the point where people I meet and am around for up to an hour or so won't be able to recognize me, ever again. It would have to hold up to physical activity.

grampster

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »
Just say, SHAZZAM, and see what happens.

PS:  Bank robbery and kidnapping is not a good idea.  You'll leave all sorts of other ways to ID you other than your face.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Disguising myself.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 05:55:21 PM »
Try to look incredibly average. You know those drably dressed, quiet people that just blend into the crowd. Think George from Seinfeld.

How much interaction are you going to have with these people during the hour? The less you communicate with them directly, the less they will remember you.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Disguising myself.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 06:22:51 PM »
Well in that case, think about the features that you remember most about someones face.

Color of their eyes - get some colored contacts opposite of what your normal eye color is, or wear some tinted glasses.

Facial hair - grow some if you have time, if not consider theatrical stuff. If you typically have facial hair, shave.

Noses, etc.

You mentioned indie films. Do you know any film makers or a theatrical group in your area? If so go talk to their makeup/costume people for some tips. They can point you towards things like false noses, etc that you can put on   and they can teach you how to blend it in so it looks natural.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 06:43:47 PM »
The more symmetric your face, the easier it will be to disguise.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Justin

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 07:18:15 PM »
Learn a new gait.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Antibubba

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 10:14:47 PM »
If you had really big boobs, no man would even see your face.   Tongue
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Disguising myself.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »
Just make sure that whatever you do doesnt make you look to weird. Normal looking people are invisible. A weird looking person will attract attention, and if they look too closely at you no disguise will really work.

On a related note, if your trying to be sneaky (like get into a place that you shouldnt) then you should practice "looking like you know where your going, and your in a hurry to get there". Watch businessmen and doctors to get a feel for the "walk" and people will simply fail to challenge you because they think you are more important than they are.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Disguising myself.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 05:28:29 AM »
I gotta agree with C_yeager.  I have a knack for looking like I belong and have been plenty of places I shouldn't have been because of it.  
Wash out hair coloring
Eyeglasses
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chris

Disguising myself.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 09:02:15 AM »
Much is in the attidtude.  Confidence, the appearance that you belong, that you're going somewhere, or that you're in the middle of doing something, are as important as the disguise, as they will draw less attention to you.  Dress to match the surroundings.  Alter facial hair.  Get a haircut, or change the style (wigs are either too expensive, or look like wigs).  Try to avoid talking around anyone you know, because most people will recognize a voice if not the face.

Vodka7

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »
Pretend to be homeless, then you'll pretty much guarantee no eye contact.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Disguising myself.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »
Give it up.  One whiff of your beard and everybody will realize who you are.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Shalako

Disguising myself.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 11:47:08 AM »
1. homeless disguise
2. get a clipboard
3. get a hardhat and tool belt and a shirt w/ your name on it.
4. white short sleve shirt, tie, bike helmet
5. go to thriftstore and buy a crappy gray spoart coat and scuffed wingtips, carry a plastic grocery bag with rubbish in it, wear headphones from a crappy walkman, keep fiddling w/ the walkman
6. hip hop look with foil over your teeth
7. cotton in the cheeks ala Brando in The Godfather....."I'll make him an offer he can't refuse..."
8. bike courrier with sideburns and funky sunglasses
9. hospital scrubs
10. the nerd look ala Kilmer in The Saint....."hnph, you're a veery pretty lady..."

Azrael256

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 12:40:35 PM »
I think you should disguise yourself as a giant rattlesnake named Nate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Disguising myself.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »
Enough with this "walk with confidence and wear a toolbelt stuff."  He said he's got to interact with these people for an hour, so he's not trying to slip in and out of their office or whatever.  Sounds to me like he has a definite role to play, a character in mind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Disguising myself.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 05:08:16 PM »
Put uneven inserts in your shoes, or a small rock in one of 'em.  I can pick out my dad from 500 yards from his walk.

Wig (a convincing one).

Glasses, or lack thereof if you wear 'em.

Learn a new accent.  Know this:  Do NOT try British or German.  Everyone can see through a bad one in a heartbeat. Try Australian or Russian instead.  Cough a lot beforehand for a dry, hoarse effect.

Wear a different cologne/ wear cologne.

Shave the beard, if it's something you're willing to do.  Since this is A) deserved, B) elaborate, and C) you're an actor, it should go anyway. Tongue cheesy

If you are normally quiet, talk a lot; if usually loud, then speak as little as possible.

Don't sleep for at least 24 hours before the joke.  Drink a little (be careful with this one).

Avoid eye contact with the victim.

Use makeup (yes, makeup) to change your skin tone.  You're an actor--suck it up. Tongue

Develop a false nervous habit that you'd never do in real life.

Chang your hair color to something lighter.  This will help when you change it back, and lightening your hair changes one's look more than darkening it.

That's all I can think of for now... Shocked
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 09:20:06 PM »
If you hafta talk then you're screwed.  The sound of your voice will tip them off as soon as you open your mouth.  It doesn't matter how effectively you change your looks.  Even strange accents won't mask the unique sound of your voice.

I dunno what caper you expect to play on your friends, but I'd forget it.  I'll wager that the joke will be on you and your silly outfit as soon as they see through your disguise.

Sorry...

Disguising myself.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 11:15:28 PM »
How many times have you watched a movie and been unable to recognize and actor/actress despite the high-dollar proffesionally applied makeup? You simply cant make yourself unrecognizable without making it obvious that you are wearing a disguise (look at bank robbers). Make-up artists get academy awards for pulling off what your trying to accomplish.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Disguising myself.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »
A lot of this really depends more on how key a role you're playing in the joke.  If you're the main character in the setup, then you're pretty much out of luck as far as never being recognized again; too much of their attention will be on you, and any disguise will fall apart.  On the other hand, if you're simply part of the atmosphere that helps with the setup, then you'll likely be forgotten. c_yeager's right in this regard.

People's memories aren't as good as we think they are.  Our minds are actually better at reconstructing scenes than at remembering them in perfect detail.  

So unless you're the main character in this little charade, then (as others have stated above) make yourself as unmemorable as possible.  No accents; they stand out and attract attention to you.  No fifty-cent words, because if a person has to think about what you're saying, you're making more of an impression on their neurons than you want to be in this situation.  Think different-than-you-are, but bland.

Colored contacts, but not striking ones.  If you have light eyes, go for medium brown.  In addition to the contacts, switch your glasses status, as someone has already suggested.  

The idea is to make sure that none of the marks find you visually interesting in any way;  if you succeed in that, then some time down the road, in their memory of the event, your role will be filled with "generic guy with n-coloured hair" in their reconstructed memory.  When they see the actual you in that indie film, nothing in their memory will be clear enough to place you; it won't even occur to them that you might be the same person.

Uncle Trapspringer said it best:  "Don't change color to match the walls; look like you belong, and the walls will change color to match you."

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

DrAmazon

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 07:10:40 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
If you had really big boobs, no man would even see your face.   Tongue
You made me snarf nectarine on my monitor.  I've really got to be more careful reading this forum during lunch.
Experiment with a chemist!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »
read this article:
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0311/feature1/index.html

the print issue has a section with an interview with a spy diguise master

he stuck almonds in his nostrils to generate a new profile
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Disguising myself.
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Quote from: c_yeager
How many times have you watched a movie and been unable to recognize and actor/actress despite the high-dollar proffesionally applied makeup? You simply cant make yourself unrecognizable without making it obvious that you are wearing a disguise (look at bank robbers). Make-up artists get academy awards for pulling off what your trying to accomplish.
http://www.ppi.cc/ppi_players/mike_marino.htm

I know that guy has lots of life experience, but still. Look at the last picture, and he isn't exactly an academy award level name.
If you have access to a professional make-up artist why are you asking us? The point is that this isnt something you can do to yourself in the bathroom. your link supports that conclusion.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 06:37:56 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Antibubba

• friend
Disguising myself.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 09:05:35 PM »
I've seen magnetic earrings for those who don't want to pierce an ear, or a clip-on nose ring.  Even if someone recognizes you later, it'll be pretty hard to explain away the lack of a hole.

DrAmazon-you are most welcome.  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.