Author Topic: Beating the blue funk  (Read 2021 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Beating the blue funk
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:43:32 PM »
Without going into boring detail, this year has been the absolute worst in my life. Unfortunately, I have even worse years ahead: my father is 88, and my mother is 87.

I pray that my father will live just seven more years so that they can celebrate their 75th anniversary. My mother will live to near 100. Of that I have no doubt.

My income is less than half of what it was just four years ago. Try as I might, I just don't see myself getting back to the level where I can save major dollars for retirement. In fact, my retirement savings are gone, thanks to mistakes I made six to seven years ago.

Nothing brings me joy anymore. I'm going to try to force myself to go shooting tomorrow, but I'd bet money that I'll find an excuse not to.

The concealed carry fight is starting again in Wisconsin, and people are looking to me for whatever leadership I provided them in years past.

Right now, I don't have the energy to even answer emails. But I do. I try to convey a sense  of optimism that we can override the governor's veto, but feel in my gut that it just isn't going to happen. I talk to the legislators and get the happy-talk responses, but sense that we're all being set up for another election year carrot-and-stick, courtesy of the Republicans.

Even as I complained to my wife tonight about the prospect of having to work gun shows for entire weekends in the far-flung areas of the state, I felt some glimmer of happiness: at least I would be able to get out of this rat-hole of a city for a couple of nights. Eat a meal at a restaurant. Feel like somebody for at least a day or two.

I'm at an age (54) where the young people buying advertising photography regard me as a fossil, while at the same time telling me that my reputation is legendary, from Minneapolis to Milwaukee to Chicago. Compliments are nice, but money is nicer.

When I turned 40, something struck me: I could look at the young ladies, but they no longer looked back. Now they treat me as some sort of leering lech. In a few more years, they'll treat me like a harmless grampaw.

The highlight of this year was at the Rolling Stones concert, when a young lady (early 30's) I was talking to threw her arms up, wrapped them around me and gave me a sloppy kiss on the lips. Then she walked away. Hey, at this point, I'll take that.

My teenage years are in the long distant past, but I can see the end of my years with clarity. I had that realization three years ago when I returned from one of my annual motorcycle trips through the West. I told my wife that I had maybe twenty or thirty summers left in my life. When you can count your summers, you're getting down to the end.

Call this thread a whine or just call it for what I intended it to be: a chance to write my thoughts, come back tomorrow and read them again, and decide how to change things.

Sometimes the waves of the blue funk come over like a tsunami.

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 08:56:54 PM »
This is an occupational hazard for all political activists, of any stripe.

Anybody who takes a close look at gov't processes risks being bummed out by what they see.  You ain't alone. The alternative is to ignore the BS and that means ignoring our duties as free citizens.

But...hey, you're married Smiley.  I hope she's OK Smiley.

As to finances, you've got enough time to get it all together.  A lot of it is about believing you're in the land of opportunity...and we really are, despite all.  It's why millions keep coming.  Once you realize that, believe it, financial stuff is fixable at any age.  It's what we get in return for the duties of citizenship.

So it balances out.

Stay the course, my man.

Preacherman

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 12:39:17 AM »
Monkeyleg, I can fully understand and appreciate what you're going through - but I'm also here to tell you, the "blue funk" can be beaten.

Let me tell you how the past twenty months have been for me, and what it's meant for my life.  I suffered a serious injury in February 2004, which brought to an end my career with the Federal Bureau of Prisons as a Chaplain, and has left permanent nerve damage, which means that I will never again be capable of holding down a "normal" 8-hour-a-day job.  I've got a smallish disability pension from the BOP, but this won't be enough to live on, and I'll have to find some way of making additional income (probably home-based or part-time, due to physical limitations).  Despite medication, I'll be in pain 24/7/365 to at least some extent, although this will be manageable.

I had to come to terms with all this whilst undergoing two surgeries and a heck of a lot of pain and misery.  I really do know the depths of depression into which one can sink!!!  And still, I'm here to tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I've been able to adjust to my new and more restricted circumstances;  I'm confident that if I apply myself, I'll be able to make enough money to get by, and provide for my future and retirement;  I have friends to lean on when I need to;  and I'm planning a very major change in my life's circumstances, which will be very painful in some respects, but will also offer great opportunity and new hope, if all the aspects come together.

If you look "down" at the problem, all you'll see is the doom, gloom and disaster...  and that's no answer at all.  Rather, look "up", away from the problem, towards the solution.  You'll have your own approach to life, of course;  mine involves my faith in God, my own learning experiences from my past, and a willingness to turn a new page and start a whole new chapter.  I'm not discouraged or downhearted by my problems.  Rather, I'm grateful that I worked in a system that paid for all my costs (which have run well into six figures by now), has provided a disability pension (albeit not a great one, but it's a lot better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!), and has left me with at least basic security.  The rest is up to me, and with God's help, I'll tackle any challenge with a smile.

You're obviously suffering from burnout in your political activities.  This is not to be wondered at...  to quote the sage, "When you're up to your ass in crocodiles (or politicians), it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!"  Look beyond the crocodiles, and look at the broad objective you wanted to achieve.  That remains worthwhile, despite all the obstacles in the way.  Take a break for a while, if possible.  Look at all of the good things that have occurred in other States over the past few years.  Look at the victories "our side" has gained in the fight for the RKBA, and be encouraged by them to continue your own work in the struggle.

Also, take time for your wife and your mutual relationship.  There is nothing, repeat, NOTHING, more important than your unity with your spouse.  If you love one another, work at that love!  Reinforce it, affirm it, "make love" every day in the fullest sense of the word (not just the act of sex, but making all your interactions into those of love and mutual giving).  Don't let politicians come between you, and make sure that this relationship, which is the bedrock upon which all your foundations of life are rooted, remains sound and wholesome.

Hope this helps...  if you want to talk more, PM me on THR, and we'll get in touch.

God bless.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:47:01 AM »
I'm seeing a bit of "mid-life crisis" leading you to depression. The only thing I can add to what has already been said is, do you exercise? Or, As one distinguished older gentleman once asked me, "Do you TAKE exercise?" A 1/2 hour or even just 20 minutes a day will make you feel better physically as well as mentally. Releases endorphins, endorphins cheer you up. It doesn't have to be all demanding like your going to try to become Mr. Universe before you die, just a simple walk everyday will do you good. Plus it gives you time to sort out your thoughts. I swim a 1/2 hour most days during the warm months, I get a lot of good thinking done in the process.

I happen to have a 96 (soon to be 97) YO Grandma whos still lives a home with her 87 YO sister. Questions like "Which one will go first and what of the other when that happens?" are in my thoughts almost daily.

Then there's Mom, 64 IIRC, grossly obese, living in assisted care on the state's dime. Mom was very abusive to us as children and even now (48 years later in my case) continues to be a strain on our well being(s) and has never been more than a burden on us and society. Terrible things to say about your mother I know, but fact is fact. She will flatly deny that any abuse ever took place. Dad passed in '98 after a nasty bout with the big "C". My point? We all have our problems, you are not alone.

Preacher, this is my first knowledge of your situation. The same goes for you, monkey, jim and anybody else. If you need an ear to bend anytime, feel free to PM me as well. I don't profess to have any answers, just an ear...

(actually, I have two)

PS, I think Grandma's good for 106 myself, that's what I keep telling her anyways...

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 06:13:06 AM »
I second what 280plus said about exercise. It really does help - even though it might be the last thing you feel like doing! Force yourself to go for a walk and forget about your problems for a while. My mother's a psychotherapist and that's what she proscribes more than anything. (Hell, if it works for me, it'll work for anybody - give it a try!)

When you get back, fix yourself a hot drink, sit down quietly somewhere and think of some practical, possitive steps to take to ease your situation. Write down a list of your ideas and pin it up somewhere where you will see it every morning. The absolutely worst thing you can do is to sit and stew about your problems without doing anything about them. Fortunately, it sounds like you still have a little motivation left, so I'll bet that you make it through in the end, no problem!

There's no need to say that we can't do much about our own mortality, or that of our loved-ones. You might have twenty summers left or you might have another fifty - nobody knows how long they've got left! To dwell on these things can stop you from living your life now. I know that when your loved ones pass-on, you can deal with it, no matter how painful it might be. It's something we all go through at some point.

For what it's worth, you all have my sympathies. There are many out there who share your worries and problems Smiley

Keep fighting!

Lo.Com

XLMiguel

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 07:10:52 AM »
I was unhappy because I had no shoes.  Then I met a man with no feet . . .  Everyone has problems, it's what you do about them that makes a difference.  The only constant in Life is Change, and sometimes the easiest thing to change in your attitude/altitude (trite, but true!).  I don't mean to sound like a pollyanna, but truthfully, the only one who can be happy for you IS you.  There is much beauty & joy around you if only you care to see it (and it's dumb stuff like the Fall leaves, a glorious sunset, your wife's laughter, and it's all free).  Getting some exercise is a real good tip, and make yourself a plan like Lo.Com.Denom suggested.  Do one thing (make it a simple thing) each day that helps you get to your goals, and do one thing each day that makes you happy.  It all adds up, it will give you a real feeling of accomplishment and you get control of your life back.  I hesitate to point out that the RKBA is a constant and ongoing battle, but take joy in fighting the good fight - your efforts count and makes a better world for us all (BTW< thanks!) Good luck, mon!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 08:24:06 AM »
All good advice, and helpful to me also, to refocus at a tough time.
Dick, check your email.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks, all, for the replies.

I didn't mean to dump on everyone, though.

As I mentioned, I thought it would help me to just lay out all of the things that are weighing me down, and then come back today and look at them with a fresh eye.

I can see that there are things I can change, and things I cannot. The eventual passing of my parents, for example. But many people lose their parents when they're in their sixties or seventies. I've been blessed to have them live this long and to know that they're going to live even longer.

Dealing with duplicitous politicians does cause burnout. I need to remember the successes, such as when we helped boot out of office an anti-gun Republican senator and replace her with a 2nd Amendment absolutist.  I also need to keep in mind the thank-you's that I and other WCCA volunteers get every day for the work we've done.

Money is nice, and it's always possible to make more if a person stays focused on the goal. I found myself making a lot of money in the 1990's and up until 2001 not because I was focused on making money, but because I was focused on being the best photographer I could be. The money just seemed to follow my success as a photographer.

As for age, well, there's not much I can do about that except to remind myself that, when I was in my teens and twenties and doing a lot of drugs, I didn't think I'd even see age 50. And the girls? Well, my wife was easily one of the most physically beautiful women I've ever seen. She's aged just as I have, but is still beautiful, inside and out. I've been luckier than any guy I know.

Preacherman, I didn't realize how extraordinary your situation was/is. It makes my problems seem positively insignificant. And the way you're dealing with your life is inspirational.

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 01:39:08 PM »
Good thread!

Sometimes like minded folks just need to share experience, strength and hope.
Not a sigh of weakness, sign of maturity, find out what is up the road ahead instead of barreling head-on into something.

Me, I have had better times, for sure.

If one has one leg on yesterday, the other on tomorrow - they are pissing on today. All I have is right now. I can use my illustrious 20/20 hindsight to keep me out of trouble - maybe...perhaps...hopefully....

I suggest you find a PETA Group having a meeting nearby. Find a Meat Deli tray, heck see if there is one about to spoil in your  local Grocery Store - one marked  for "reduced price".  

Call a taxi and have Meat Deli tray delivered to PETA meeting.  

I find being tacky, grinning, smirking, smug and generally being an ass  - great for forgetting some negatives in my life.

Most funnest way I know to do Political Activism for sure...

grampster

• friend
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 03:29:48 PM »
Hey Dick,
Starting in January, my income is going to be cut by 50-60%.  I'm looking forward to it.  It removes some responsibilities and presents new opportunities.  You're a photographer, you understand advertising and marketing.  You play with guns and you know a lot of people who do likewise.  In otherwords, you have skills and friends.  So, what was your question again?  Me I'm just a broken down peddler who has this sense of right and wrong; and I'm serving in government in appointed capacities.  Talk about frustration.  But being the burr under the saddle of some pompous politicians is very satisfying.

I have been around seriously upbeat, positive and motivated people most of my life.  I am deleriously happy that I am not one of them.  What was that song..."A man of many sorrows" that was the theme of a wacky movie by the Coen (sp?) brothers, "O Brother, where art thou?".  For a sorrowful bunch they sure had some times.

As for worrying about retirement?  What is that anyway?  In my mind it's having the ability to do what I want to do rather than what someone else wants me to do.  I sense you're doing a bit of that right now only you don't realize it.  It also seems like you serve a noble cause across the pond from me in 'Sconsin.  Sure it's frustrating.  But if it's right it's noble.  Heck I've been working for nearly 8 years to get a sewer around our lake, with no success.  It's surprising how much people will spend for a new fancy boat, but rebel about spending 1/2 that much to keep turds out of the water their grandkids swim in.

I always think about the motto of the "The Old Bastards Club" of which I am a member, #699842...  Illigitimi non carborundum est.  (Don't let the bastards get you down)  So in the spirit of the Old Bastards, I give you a hearty slap on the back and say..."How you doin' you old bastard".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

XLMiguel

Beating the blue funk
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 04:21:49 PM »
Monkey - this be a community and we be here to help each other out.  It's OK to be down from time to time, life ain't easy or fair, age sucks, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.  Sharing the things that wear on you will let you find that these are largely shared experiences, and maybe we can share tactics for dealing.  

(If this was THR, this would now be   tactical thread -)

The sun will be up tomorrow, the sunrise will even be pretty. I have enjoyed your posts here and at THR, you have a lot to contribute.  I've got a couple of years (like 3-4) on you and am having a few adjustment problems of my own, but living well is the best revenge, and just being happy drives 'them' crazy.  Rob't Frost said that everything he knows about life can be summarized in three words. "It goes on."  Enjoy the ride.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 06:58:42 PM »
Grampster: "I have been around seriously upbeat, positive and motivated people most of my life. I am deleriously happy that I am not one of them."

Yeah, I know many people like that. They're either heavily medicated, or subscribe to the New York Times.

Mike in VA, there's another quote that I remember. It was Gertrude Stein, on her deathbed. One of her followers was asking, "Gertrude...what's the answer?" (as in the answer to life). Stein replied, "What's the  question?"

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been caught off-guard by the changes of the last few decades. Leave it to me to ignore obvious and huge changes going on before me. That's been my downfall financially.

There's an old Paul Simon song titled, "Some folks' lives roll easy."

And then there's a limerick from one of Kurt Vonnegut's novels: "Me and Mike we work in mine. Me and Mike we have good time. Friday come, we get our pay. Holy *expletive deleted*it! No work next day."

Or there's the people who actually still listen to songs by the group Abba.

All of the people described above have parents, and these people will grow old, just like us. But, beyond that, I can find no common ground between them and me. They accept what the news media feeds them, they don't try to fight City Hall, they don't question orders, and things just seem to roll easy for them.

I've tried that route but, when I open the newspaper to see a headline, "Hidden weapons bill would prevent police from knowing who's 'packing,' " my blood starts to boil again.

Maybe I should just get some heavy meds. Or a subscription to The Times.

Typhoon

• friend
Beating the blue funk
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:37:32 PM »
I cannot top any of the advice that has already been given.  If you want a female perspective, please feel free to PM me on THR.  Prayers and good thoughts coming your way from Los Angeles.  

It is not fun to lose a parent.  My Dad died February 2, 2001.  I am comforted by the fact that I got to know him as an adult, and discovered that he was a really good guy.  Please take Preachermans advice and make your current relationships count.  Life is too short to mess around.  

Take care 

Andrea
To the stars!