Author Topic: Range Rover Classic  (Read 2477 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Range Rover Classic
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:35 PM »
Anyone have experience with these?  The late 70s to late 80s models in particular.  They just look so cool, and I kinda want one for tooling around the trails near my home.

Zed

Re: Range Rover Classic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »
Used to own one. (a 79 2 dr 3.5 V8  model)

They have the worst MPG you could imagine (3MPG city, 11 Highway), handle worse than a supertanker (take just as long to stop to), and are only mediocre off-road.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:03:39 AM »
In exactly two words: Lucas electrics.

I've never owned a Rover product, and never will. I've known several people who've owned them. The only one who's been satisified bought an extended, comprensive warranty with a used model. His vehicle has been extensively rebuilt by the dealer.

My 2000 Acura Integra just crossed 70,000 miles. The cigarette lighter stopped working at about 68,000 miles, but resumed working even before I located and changed the fuse. That's been it for problems. It gets 2530 miles per gallon around town, 3036 miles per gallon on the highway. The worst thing about the vehicle is that it includes a speed governor that kicks in at 130 miles per hour. I doubt I'd care to go faster than that more than once or twice a yeardefinitely not in Colorado, which, like Oregon, is heavily patrolledbut in most respects, it's been a champion.

The English can't even begin to imagine, still less build such a car.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:10:40 AM »
Personally, I think they are sweet looking autos.  The old ones are just awesome looking.  The new LR3 is a sight to behold.

That said, I will never own one.  The consistently rate at or near the bottom for reliability.  And parts cost big bucks.

Just my 2 cents.
One day at a time.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »
Range Rovers are damn expensive, and I don't really see the point in them. That being said, I do think that they look awesome.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:44:10 AM »
Never been a fan of the Range Rover but I love the Land Rover Defender.  Had a 76 for a while when I was at Ft. Hood.  Right-hand drive but rusted out, bigger than Stuttgart. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:10:46 AM »
Handsome vehicles with terrible reliability.  Last place you want to be stranded is an off-road trail.  If a 4runner is your style, I'd suggest a pre-86 'runner due to the straight front axle.  The 4cyl is reliable and tough but gutless, stick to the V6.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »
We had some stretched wheel base versions in my unit: RSOV, MedSOV.

Thye were more reliable than the Hummers*, more maneuverable in rough stuff, and we could get more RSOVs on transport planes than we could get Hummers.

* Make of that what you will
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:41:42 AM »
Back-country 4WD play is just like self-defense with a pistol:  Reliability Is All.

After 22 years and 290K miles, I'll stay with my little 4-banger '85 Toyota.  40,000 miles in 4WD in some of North America's roughest back-country.  That engine began life as a forklift motor, and it's as bullet-proof as any I've ever seen.  Stick it down in low range and first or second gear, and I think you could crawl up a building until it fell over backwards. Smiley

SFAIK, the Land Rovers shown in the TV shows about Africa are good, although my opinion of Lucas electrics is as low as anybody's.  I fought those electrics on too many English sports cars...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
I have always wanted a Rover, especially a 88". They are mechanical a-holes and I have now considered a full size Toyota Land Cruiser instead. Someday I'll find one that I want and can afford.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 07:01:22 AM »
Heard some stat a while back that claimed that 75% of all Landrovers made are still on the road. They've probably been making a lot more of them in recent years, but they have existed since 1955.

My uncle (farmer) got good years out of an Isuzu Trooper, went round the clock on it and a good bit of that was off road and off main roads.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 08:30:49 AM »
While I agree they are cool looking.  Unless you replace the wiring with a PainlessProducts aftermarket harness you'll learn to hate it.

You want a tough and reliable 4x4.. find an old Toyota FJ40  now those are beasts.

And the entire engine and drivetrain are interchangable from 1954 to 1982

Toyota did a good job maintaining the lines of the original
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »
I'd love an old Fj40, but they aren't cheap.  I'll probably end up with a Jeep Cherokee or old Wrangler.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 09:23:59 AM »
What is that new-fangled blue Toyota?  An FJ40?  I've seen a few, but didn't know what they were.

Them look really cool. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
That would be the new FJ Cruiser.  Neat looking but I'd rather have one of its predecessors, pictured above.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »
Speaking of 4x4 trucks...

Looks like my wife is having me go look at this soon, it's similar to the one she had as a younger girl years ago:

Somebody put some time and effort into restoring it.  I'm not so sure the 350 Chevy engine is what came with the J10 trucks, but it makes working on it and finding parts easier.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »
We had some stretched wheel base versions in my unit: RSOV, MedSOV.

Thye were more reliable than the Hummers*, more maneuverable in rough stuff, and we could get more RSOVs on transport planes than we could get Hummers.

Are you sure they were Range Rovers, and not Land Rovers?

Heard some stat a while back that claimed that 75% of all Landrovers made are still on the road. They've probably been making a lot more of them in recent years, but they have existed since 1955.

Yep, we see them all over the place here, old as the hills but still going strong.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Zed

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »
Dunno the FJ Cruser is a prity well equiped little SUV, only real downside is the IFS can be a little more expensive to lift.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
That, and the massive blind spot and tiny windows.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
cool picture, veloce - what mountain range is that in the background?

dang!  there's an old landcruiser sitting with a 4sale sign along the hiway between here and town.  if i wasn't so broke i would buy it just for fun.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
GMC Sierra 1500 - 90,000 miles and no issues.  Smiley  Had a Chevy S10 Blazer that wasn't such a good vehicle previously so I won't sing the praises of GM.  Sometimes, I think they give the good vehicles to you when you buy the warranty and the bad ones when you don't.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »
I have a car that I drive daily, so any 4x4 would be just for weekend fun.  Streetability isn't super important.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »
I agree with Art. Range Rovers are for masochists. I'll refrain from posting all my Lucas electric one-liners at this time, but between the aluminium Rover engine (derived directly from an otherwise stalwart Buick engine) and the positive ground electrical system, British automotive products, no matter what the vintage or provenance is simply not something I'd willingly subject myself to.

Land Cruisers, on the other hand, are a different breed of cat.

If you want something that could run forever, get a Toyota. If you feel the need for more horsepower and torque and can't handle the expected 10MPG from an FJ40 with the original inline 6, you can graft a smallblock Chevy into it.

Even the later Toyota 4wd pickups with the independent front suspension go plenty of places to get you into trouble without breaking the truck. We put 300k miles on an old live axle 4WD Toyota pickup we used as a shop truck, hauling loads that would have destroyed a domestic light pickup.

Time will tell if the FJ Cruiser is just a poser, but so far, every one I've asked who owns one seems to like it well enough.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
Back when the first Toyota Land Crushers showed up, our local dealer pointed out that the 6-cyl was made under license from GM.  Interchangeable parts!

I guess I crawled around under every one of the small 4WD pickups, back in the late '70s, looking at how they were built.  The Toy had the strongest frame and running gear.  Plus, the 4-banger won't overstress things.

Back around 1984 or '85, the Rover folks brought a half-dozen Range Rovers out to Terlingua for advertising photography.  We locals tried to persuade them to play "Follow me!" but they wouldn't.

A buddy of mine had an early Isuzu Trooper.  They're also a tough critter.  A bit down on power, but for back-country that's not really important.   
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
Troopers have also crossed my mind.  I like ugly boxes on wheels.