Author Topic: Some people find the coolest stuff.  (Read 3087 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Some people find the coolest stuff.
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »
A fellow found what appears to be an anti-tank launcher on his land in Texas.  It took TPTB relatively forever to come pick the thing up.
Lots of questions over how it got there.  I'll bet he really bought it at a gunshow.  You know, one of those evil Texas gunshows where FA AK-47s are $39.95, and no background check is required.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6668884.html

Texas man to feds: Take my missile launcher, please

By JOHN TEDESCO San Antonio Express-News
Oct. 15, 2009, 9:24AM

John Tedesco San Antonio Express-News
Jarrette Schule found an old missile launcher on his rural property in Comal County near San Antonio.

Jarrette Schule was cutting down trees on his rural property Tuesday in Comal County north of San Antonio when he noticed a green metallic tube on the muddy ground.

“I had never seen it before,” said Schule, a 34-year-old Web developer. “I looked at it, and it kind of looked like a missile launcher.”

Schule took a closer look. It was a long, forest-green metal tube. A decal on it read: “Guided Missile and Launcher, Surface Attack.”

The discovery was the start of a surreal journey for Schule. Somehow, an unarmed anti-tank weapon — or a very good fake — wound up on his land at Beck Road and Kirk Lane in the Hill Country, miles away from a military installation.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Some people find the coolest stuff.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
That country's pretty dense with live oaks and cedars.  I can imagine how something could go undiscovered for decades.

I'm surprised he didn't "find" it with his chainsaw chain - maybe he did  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
Sounded from the article I read like it was just the launching tube. Aren't those not much more than a disposable metal tube? If so, not too surprising why the military wasn't too speedy about getting out to take a look.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
Old LAW rocket?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »
Old LAW rocket?

No, it was a Dragon anti-tank guided missile.  I think the Dragon is a follow-on to the old AT-4, but both are after my time in.  And both are out of service now.
The LAW was much smaller.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »
Not really, A dragon is a guided antitank missile sort of like a crappy man portable mini-TOW  (kinda, don't jump on me over details).  It required the shooter to stay exposed in a rather unergonomic position and the warhead was not that great.  In some circles its nickname was the paint scratcher.  It was replaced by the javelin fire and forget guided missile.

I fired one a few times in 95 when the Army was experimenting with putting ATGMs on the M113s used by combat engineers.  If it had gone into real practice (it didn't) it would have been javelins instead of dragons but those were what were available at the time.

The LAW is a small man portable light AT missile that is great for light vehicles and buildings/bunkers but not going to do much to a real tank except in unlikely circumstances.  The Swedish AT-4 was brought on as a upgrade to the LAW where it is a recoilless rifle round in a disposable tube.  It is more powerful but also much larger and the troops on the ground are frequently asking for the old LAWs back since the prospect of facing a real tank in Iraq or Afghanistan is pretty darned unlikely at this point.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, 41magsnub.  I got to fire the LAW only one time during my time in the Corps.  Sigh...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »
He found a fiberglass tube that many years ago held a (crappy) missle.  

The Dragon was pretty much depised by those assigned to it.  Bulky, clumsy, and pretty much the gunner would get one shot before being shot.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/video/HwSCsV2rGY8-m47-dragon-anti-tank-guided.aspx

They just "disposed" of the last ones at Anniston Army Depot last month !!  They were phasing them out when I got off active duty in '91.  http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/09/16/27423-admc-destroys-armys-last-dragon-missiles/

Why not shoot them down range instead of just blowing them up ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
I thought it was a really cool song when I first heard it.  I thought he was talking about Afghanistan and the Soviet invasion.  Then I saw the video and discovered that he was just another America hating Leftie....

If I had a Rocket Launcher, I'd wouldn't think twice about using it on his records.

I did have a LAW when i was in college.  Even took it to school and used as my "Demonstration" project for Speech class.

The rather cute, but older English Prof only asked one question when I extended it....."Is that loaded ?"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 09:47:16 PM »
I did have a LAW when i was in college.  Even took it to school and used as my "Demonstration" project for Speech class.

The rather cute, but older English Prof only asked one question when I extended it....."Is that loaded ?"

And of course you gave her a puzzled look, scratched your head and replied, "I don't know, I think so."   :laugh:   :angel:

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
He found a fiberglass tube that many years ago held a (crappy) missle.  

The Dragon was pretty much depised by those assigned to it.  Bulky, clumsy, and pretty much the gunner would get one shot before being shot.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/video/HwSCsV2rGY8-m47-dragon-anti-tank-guided.aspx

They just "disposed" of the last ones at Anniston Army Depot last month !!  They were phasing them out when I got off active duty in '91.  http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/09/16/27423-admc-destroys-armys-last-dragon-missiles/

Why not shoot them down range instead of just blowing them up ??

Might be they weren't safe to fire downrange, depending on how old they were.  Solid rocket engines can be a mite unpredictable if they're too old and the propellant develops cracks.... it might fly halfway to the target and explode, or it might just explode in the tube, or it might just dud out.  Safer to blow 'em up.... Of course, if one had a reaaaaaaaaly long string and some way to secure the launcher in a safe direction... :D
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
Just be glad he did not find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_%28nuclear_device%29

An M-388 Davy Crockett
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »
Hmmm ...

Canadian. Woodstock generation. Libtard.

Through the 1980s Cockburn's songwriting became first more urban, later more global, and then, ultimately and most famously, more politicized: he became heavily involved with progressive causes. His growing political concerns were first hinted at in three astonishing but little-known discs, Humans, Inner City Front and The Trouble with Normal. As far as casual radio listeners were concerned, however, these concerns only became evident in 1984, with Cockburn's second US radio hit, "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" (#88 US) from the Stealing Fire album. He had written the song a year earlier, after visiting Guatemalan refugee camps in Mexico that were attacked before and after his visit by Guatemalan military helicopters. His political activism continues to the present. Cockburn has travelled to many countries (such as Mozambique and Iraq), played countless benefits, and written many songs on a variety of political subjects ranging from the International Monetary Fund to land mines.

Sounds like one of those "I never met a cause I didn't believe in" types.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
Yeah, I felt the same way about the guy.  I've always enjoyed "Wondering Where The Lions Are", but then he went all psycho liberal progressive afterwards...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
Might be they weren't safe to fire downrange, depending on how old they were.  Solid rocket engines can be a mite unpredictable if they're too old and the propellant develops cracks.... it might fly halfway to the target and explode, or it might just explode in the tube, or it might just dud out.  Safer to blow 'em up.... Of course, if one had a reaaaaaaaaly long string and some way to secure the launcher in a safe direction... :D
Sounds like trying to fire off old bottle rockets.  :)  Only one safe and fun way to do that IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge