Author Topic: The Growing and Shrinking and Growing of Cell Phones  (Read 2900 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Growing and Shrinking and Growing of Cell Phones
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
Short pictorial of cell phones over the years. I thought it kinda funny based on my own experiences. As a teenager I remember my sister's ex-husband, who considered himself a player in the business world, with one of the DynaTAC car phones in his Mercedes. I also remember not a lot of calls went through. My first cell phone was the MicroTAC. After that, the race was on for "smallest cell phone". A former boss kept trading his in everytime a smaller one came out until he hit the wall with one of the Motorolas (can't remember the model) that was so small, he spent 70% of his time misdialing or not being able to hit whatever menu key he needed. That's around the time flip phones started going from trying to be smallest overall, to a little bigger, but thinnest.

And now of course I carry a phone with a nearly 5" screen on it and a bajllion features. Funny, just the other day I was getting pissed off at an app and thinking to myself that maybe I wouldn't mind to going back to whatever flip phone I had right before smart phones came out. Wonder if we'll see any slide of people going back to "just plain phone" like we've seen with big to small to big again? Might depend on what they do with tablets. If I had a flexible tablet that I could roll up or fold up, I'd consider carrying that around for the bigger screen for app use and be happy with a small, ruggedized just plain phone.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/slideshow/2013/04/18/supersize-me-how-cell-phones-went-from-giant-to-tiny-to-giant-again/?intcmp=features#slide=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: The Growing and Shrinking and Growing of Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
Frankly, I prefer an older style flip or bar phone for making phone calls.  My HTC smartphone's voice clarity sucks and the form factor makes it difficult to align the "earpiece" with my ear.  A bluetooth earpiece makes things better, but it's yet another piece of kit to carry around. 

If not for needing it as a work phone, I wouldn't have it and would rely on my flipphone and a PDA (Ipod Touch) or smaller tablet instead.  There's enough free wifi out there to not *need* 24/7 4g connectivity.

That said, I do appreciate the apps and internet connectivity, I just can't stand the form factor when used as a phone.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
My first was a Nokia 5110 as pictured in that article.

Extra thickness in the handset makes it easier to cradle the phone with my hand and hold it next to my ear, but it's a PITA when in a pocket or belt holster.  I have a bluetooth dongle at home that charges all the time and when a longer conversation seems to be happening, I go grab it real quick and sync it to the phone mid-conversation.  No one seems to notice I do that, pretty seamless.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »
That said, I do appreciate the apps and internet connectivity, I just can't stand the form factor when used as a phone.

Chris

I'm right there with ya. I didn't get a smart phone until well after they were out because I just didn't (don't) like making calls off a mini-tablet. It's just not ergonomic to me, and yeah, a regular cell seems much better for calls. Work issue smart phones are iPhones that are so locked down they are pretty much dumb phones, so I have kept my work flip phone and usually forward it to my personal EVO so I have one less phone to carry. But if I have to be on a long cell call, I much prefer the flip phone for clarity and ease of holding it to my ear.

That said, the smart phone, besides practically being a necessity with my work expecting me to be email accessible all the freakin' time, does come in handy for quick nav chores or looking things up. In retirement though, I might be more inclined to the option I mentioned in my first post - some type of very portable tablet when they come out, and a small dumb phone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
I have a bluetooth dongle at home that charges all the time and when a longer conversation seems to be happening, I go grab it real quick and sync it to the phone mid-conversation.  No one seems to notice I do that, pretty seamless.

I do that frequently as well.  If I'm not on the phone a lot, I don't have my earpiece in, but if I get a call and it looks like it's going to be a while, I'll switch over.  Nobody notices.

I still have my dumbphone, but it forwards to my work phone. 

I need my company phone mainly for email and international calls.  I'm not paying for an international calling plan for my private phone, even if I can expense it, when I can get a "free" work phone that allows those calls.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
Frankly, I prefer an older style flip or bar phone for making phone calls.  My HTC smartphone's voice clarity sucks and the form factor makes it difficult to align the "earpiece" with my ear.  A bluetooth earpiece makes things better, but it's yet another piece of kit to carry around. 

If not for needing it as a work phone, I wouldn't have it and would rely on my flipphone and a PDA (Ipod Touch) or smaller tablet instead.  There's enough free wifi out there to not *need* 24/7 4g connectivity.

Chris

The problem isn't the form factor. It's that necessary evil we refer to as a "phone call." If you can get people to quit calling you, you can use your phone for more enjoyable tasks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
We're still using the cheap pre-paid phone that we got about six years ago.  :lol:

It doesn't work at home, so we only use it in town or for travel.  Keep having to add minutes every few months so it gets really stacked up, then when I'm on a business trip I use up most of the minutes calling home.

I hate the home phones bad enough.  Don't care to be bothered elsewhere, so it's mostly turned off unless I want to make a call.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »

The problem isn't the form factor. It's that necessary evil we refer to as a "phone call." If you can get people to quit calling you, you can use your phone for more enjoyable tasks.

Indeed. I dont tolerate bullshit phone calls so people dont bother me. Its nice
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
"the form factor makes it difficult to align the "earpiece" with my ear."

That's something that I've had problems with with my Droid.

My friend Dave has problems with keeping it aligned with his mouth. I'll be talking with him, and his voice keeps getting fainter and fainter as he swivels it farther and farther around.

"Nobody notices."

Uhm... Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Mr. talking to me from the bottom of a shallow well in the middle of the interstate...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
Indeed. I dont tolerate bullshit phone calls so people dont bother me. Its nice

Phone calls probably aren't a common occurrence when your entire extended family live in the same hollar or trailer park.   :-*

For the rest of us, when the phone calls become bothersome, there's always the option to ignore the incoming call.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
What is this "cell phone" of which you speak?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »
I've found that when I have to use my cell phone for a long conference call, plain old wired earbuds for an mp3 player work much better than a speaker phone.  I still need to talk into it, but I can hear much better. 

I have a gallaxy II I got for my home phone when I got rid of the land line.  I don't think I installed anything on it beyond email. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »
I'm glad to see many of you share my reservations about making phone calls with one of these newfangled touchscreen devices the kids are all using. I'm 100% devoted to the concept of a traditional phone. I'm happy to have a pocket touchscreen device to do other things, such as data communication, web browsing, music storage, etc. But I need a real phone so I can call people when I'm focused on something else like driving. With actual buttons that give tactile feedback, I can dial and make a call without really taking my eyes off the road or what I'm doing. It's really a pain in the ass and dangerous to try to use one of these smartphones while you're driving a car, IME.

I can't be having to gracefully slide some bar or draw a connect-the-dots puzzle every time I want to do a simple task- the clamshell flip phone design just makes so much more sense for almost everything I use a phone for, but I guess that speaks to my old age (23). I come from a simpler, more quaint time when text messages were short and to the point, and were used for situations where phone calls were not practical. Not for everyday conversation like the kids do these days.

My first was a Nokia 5110 as pictured in that article.
Yes, I quite fondly remember my Nokia 5190 (variant of the 5110), so much so that I use a picture of one as my internet avatar these days. I do prefer flip phones or else I'd probably still be using a 5190. The durability of those things was incredible and long lost in today's consumer electronics.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:57:38 PM by HForrest »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
One of my co-workers has a Samsung Galaxy Note, which I call a face tablet.

We bought him one of these, because it looked so funny having him plaster that tablet to the side of his skull each time he received a call:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
Due to HIPAA requirements, all of our smartphones were recently encrypted.  Now I have to enter a 4 digit passcode to unencrypt the phone, and another 4 digit passcode (a different code) to actually open and use the phone.  No more pattern lock to unlock the phone.  The phone only rings four times before going to voice mail, so sometimes I cannot get things open in time to answer it.  But our patient's privacy is secure if a smartphone gets stolen!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
What MDM software and encryption are you using?

App wrapping for the app in question, I presume?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »
One of my co-workers has a Samsung Galaxy Note, which I call a face tablet.

We bought him one of these, because it looked so funny having him plaster that tablet to the side of his skull each time he received a call:

I must know where you can get that! =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
Here is another good add on for your smart phone:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/edd5/?srp=14

or go really retro
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f286/

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »
Yes, I quite fondly remember my Nokia 5190 (variant of the 5110), so much so that I use a picture of one as my internet avatar these days. I do prefer flip phones or else I'd probably still be using a 5190. The durability of those things was incredible and long lost in today's consumer electronics.  

I found my Nokia 5110 when I was going through a box of junk from the basement.  My 10 year old wants a cell phone.  I am thinking of giving this to her to use.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
I hate some of the larger phones. The newer Galaxy S4 is a perfect example of this, the size of that thing thing is asinine.

It's one of the reasons my next phone just might be an ipone. Seems like all of the better android phones are getting insane, while the iphone maintains a reasonable size with features that are all about on par.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:11:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
I tend to take advantage of speaker phone more on my Droid then I did with my flip phone, but either phone, my cheekbone hits the phone when I talk and I end up beeping to whoever I'm talking too.
The only thing that really bothers me is unlocking the screen to answer a call when driving. I don't make calls when driving, period, so not being able to feel the buttons isn't as much a factor.
On the plus side, the only person that regularly calls and wants to chat is my one boss, so it's not an issue most the time.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
What is with phones requiring one to unlock a screen, to answer an incoming call? My Motoral Droid only requires me to press the "Answer" button.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
It's a prgramming bug feature.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.