Author Topic: At last, a solution for mommy tummy  (Read 1026 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
At last, a solution for mommy tummy
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: At last, a solution for mommy tummy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »
Does it work for beer bellies?  :laugh:

More and more I'm glad I took up doing some basic yoga every day. What they describe here is pretty similar to yoga breathing during cool down.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
My mother has never let me live down her mommy tummy. Her's is pretty severe. You can actually sort of see where the muscle is separated. Even when she looses a lot of weight (and she's lost a lot in the past couple years) she still has a monster gut.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Diastasis recti can happen to anyone. It's just more likely with us womenfolk. Also, it sucks. Mine was bad enough you could stick your whole fist into the gap in my muscles.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
So Diastasis recti is what ya call it. When I go to sit up from a reclining position, I get this big lump in my gut between my ribcage and my navel. No, it's not a hernia although I do have a herniated umbilicus (minor, just keeping an eye on it). The doc told me what it was once but I didn't really catch what he said. He did say "lose weight" and it otherwise wasn't anything to sweat.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
Diastasis recti can happen to anyone. It's just more likely with us womenfolk. Also, it sucks. Mine was bad enough you could stick your whole fist into the gap in my muscles.

Curious question: Is it more likely to develop with a c-section? Because I always wondered if that's why mom's was so bad?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
Curious question: Is it more likely to develop with a c-section? Because I always wondered if that's why mom's was so bad?

Probably.  You have to cut through some and separate the abdominal muscles to get the baby out. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Neemi

• friend
Re: Re: At last, a solution for mommy tummy
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
After a C-section you're supposed to not do anything that uses the muscles that were separated to get the baby out. Ignoring that advice can lead to pain and... Diastasis recti. 🤣

My favorite post C-section teaching when I did my OB rotation was "no vacuuming for six weeks." Because even that uses those muscles too much for recovery.

If your mom gives you too much grief, tell her to do the exercises. Or get it fixed surgically. Then she won't have to vacuum for another six weeks. 😇

The only downside to the surgical fix is that unless you've got multiple hernias, insurance says it's "cosmetic".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Re: Re: At last, a solution for mommy tummy
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »
After a C-section you're supposed to not do anything that uses the muscles that were separated to get the baby out. Ignoring that advice can lead to pain and... Diastasis recti. 🤣

My favorite post C-section teaching when I did my OB rotation was "no vacuuming for six weeks." Because even that uses those muscles too much for recovery.

If your mom gives you too much grief, tell her to do the exercises. Or get it fixed surgically. Then she won't have to vacuum for another six weeks. 😇

The only downside to the surgical fix is that unless you've got multiple hernias, insurance says it's "cosmetic".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

*snort* she doesn't vacuum anyway.  :rofl:

I think, after 33 years, she's not too worried about getting a surgical fix. I don't think it's causing any real physical problems. She's got bigger fish to fry with her knee falling apart.

But it is interesting to know.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:33 AM »
Keep the rack and can perky enough, and it's easier to overlook the belly.