Author Topic: Jeb Bush to honor Hillary Clinton . . .  (Read 2243 times)

HankB

• friend
Jeb Bush to honor Hillary Clinton . . .
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
. . . by awarding her the National Constitution Center's Liberty Medal because she " . . . has dedicated her life to serving and engaging people across the world in democracy,"   :facepalm:

Not everyone is happy.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/09/Jeb-Bush-To-Award-Hillary-Clinton-Liberty-Medal

What the <expletive> is it with Republicans falling all over themselves to honor some of the most unsavory Democrats around?

I guess they figure they can't lick them, so they'll lick their boots.  [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Jeb Bush to honor Hillary Clinton . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
I know many politicians (unfortunate aspect of my job) who go out of their way to publicly say nice things about their opposition, the theory being that it will make them look good to the public, and give them the high ground in any debates.  "You attack me?  But didn't I just award you this medal?"

Or, maybe they are studying their Tsun Tzu..."Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »
I guess they figure they can't lick them, so they'll lick their boots.  [barf]

Not really.  They're not that different from one another.  To them, this is all one big sporting event and the teams don't really hate each other. 

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
Another data point demonstrating the contention that our two parties consist of Them and US.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
Another data point demonstrating the contention that our two parties consist of Them and US.

More like Us, Them, and the Governed.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
I know many politicians (unfortunate aspect of my job) who go out of their way to publicly say nice things about their opposition, the theory being that it will make them look good to the public, and give them the high ground in any debates.  "You attack me?  But didn't I just award you this medal?"

Or, maybe they are studying their Tsun Tzu..."Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer."

That was Machiavelli, not Sun Tzu.  :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »

I thought it was Shan Yu.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »
I thought it was Shan Yu.

And I thought it was Michael Corleone.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »

Funny, I Googled the quote to findbthe origin, and that's where I got Tsun Tzu..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:39 PM »
Funny, I Googled the quote to findbthe origin, and that's where I got Tsun Tzu..,

Possibly ol' "St." Nic had read Sun Tzu ......

Both Sun Tzu and Niccolo Machiavelli wrote books title "The Art of War."  Except Machiavelli's was titled "Arte della Guerra," since he wrote in Italian.  I have no idea what the title reads in Chinese and anyway my keyboard doesn't have Chinese symbols.  There often seems to be some confusion between the two despite the two having been separated by many many years and many many miles.
I've heard many quotes I know one said attributed to the other.  
Sun Tzu was primarily concerned with warfare and actually engaged in it and was remarkably resourceful and intelligent in how he went about his profession.
Machiavelli was a very different sole.  Aside from his political writings he wrote history ("Florentine Histories"  is still available) and wrote some rather gaudy humor ("Mandragola" or "The Mandrake Root").  His political works seem outwardly very cynical and, well, "evil" until one grasps his true peurpose and place the works in the real context of Italian history.  While not so involved in war or the study thereof as Sun Tzu he did fight in two wars, one in which he was on the winning side and the other the losing side; he also lost a son in war.
For those interested in how to fight a war, Sun Tzu will be a better choice, for those interested in war as a study of european history up to early 16th century, Machiavelli's your man.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:46:21 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero