Author Topic: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.  (Read 5263 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
The new locks are different.  Use a tank/reservoir in order to
 use same water rather than depleting lake.curse you discovery channel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »
Yep, river artificially dammed to include a lake as well.

I'd be interested to know just how much salinity the lake has now due to the ocean traffic.

In fact, a majority of the transit is accomplished on said Gatun Lake.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »
Water's free. Comes from sky.

Flows downhill  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Re: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
The new locks are different.  Use a tank/reservoir in order to
 use same water rather than depleting lake.curse you discovery channel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

In addition, they are raising the lake level 1.5 feet. That's a lot of water!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Lake Nicaragua is 107ft above sea level, so highly doubtful they'll have a lock free canal.

But they solved the piracy problem.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
Destroying a transportation monopoly.  Hmm.  Interesting.

Might we see moar wars, police actions and international incidents down that way as a result of this?

I hope the hell not. I've aquired a taste for Nicarauguan handmade cigars and any threats to my supply is going to irritate me.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
Actually it may drive down the cost of shipping.  Competition is always a good thing.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
Actually it may drive down the cost of shipping.  Competition is always a good thing.

Leave it to an APS'er to look at the financial benefits! =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »

Of course, us consumers think that.

The canal is currently at 100% capacity to my understanding, but Panama probably greatly enjoys that 100% capacity and the fact that there's no competition to drive down the X cost per ship-ton they charge to send a ship through the canal.

Panama would still remain the preferred canal since it's shorter and would have fewer locks, but if it costs half as much to go through Nicaragua and takes another 12-18 hours above whatever it takes to go through Panama... I can't help but think it would suck away at least some of the Panama traffic and also drive down rates for traversing. 

And if they somehow increase the size of ships able to traverse (i.e. "Panamax" is smaller than "Nicamax") then Nicaragua would become the dominant choice as new ships are produced to fit the new locks.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
And if they somehow increase the size of ships able to traverse (i.e. "Panamax" is smaller than "Nicamax") then Nicaragua would become the dominant choice as new ships are produced to fit the new locks.

The new locks on the Panama canal will handle larger than "Panamax" ships.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
Panamax and Nicamax sound like low budget cable pron channels.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
Water's free. Comes from sky.

Especially in panama.