Author Topic: Hong Kong goes on Strike  (Read 6852 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Hong Kong goes on Strike
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-protests-approach-potential-national-day-flashpoint-005559994.html

Tiananmen Square Part II ?

Something like this could take down a great portion of the world's economy should things get really pear shaped.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Hong Kong goes on Strike
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-protests-approach-potential-national-day-flashpoint-005559994.html

Tiananmen Square Part II ?

Something like this could take down a great portion of the world's economy should things get really pear shaped.

That's my concern. It's not like they have any real reason not to violently put down the treasonous rebellion.
It's not like Obama  isn't rooting for "the home team"*.

*Beijing

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
I don't see this ending well.
When an authoritarian government  backs down, it encourages non-compliance and uprising elsewhere.
I don't see China backing down.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
The consequences of Beijing showing the slightest hint of weakness are too great. The watershed moment will be, as the article observes, if/when PLA troops show up. These protesters are a new breed from the Tiananmen generation, and I don't see them going easily, putting all the ingredients in place for a big bloody bowl of suck.

I also saw a blurb about a virus hitting protesters' electronic devices and affecting communications, so the PLA cyber-warfare arm is likely already in the game.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
^^^ This is being cited as the reason for the stock market dropping some 400 points over the past several days.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Today's paper said a lot of the protestors are young 20-somethings, who really don't "identify" with China the way their parents do . . . they see things like the freedom of speech they enjoyed growing up as a natural right and think Beijing's actions in regard to their pending election ("Sure, you can vote . . . but ONLY for any of the candidates your masters in Beijing put forth) are quite repressive.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
So the USSA is going to be all behind the "Yellow Spring" - right ?

=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
So the USSA is going to be all behind the "Yellow Spring" - right ?

=)

Sure, just like the Iranian Green Revolution. :-X
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Apparently the protestors are using an app called FireChat which is peer-to-peer and phone-to-phone with no internet. 

http://www.wsj.com/video/no-wi-fi-firechat-app-helps-hong-kong-protesters/7E43E303-D2BA-4DA3-88B7-F196464E2F53.html

I've heard claims that they are also using an ancient, pre-Confucius set of Chinese characters as a code.  Haven't confirmed that yet.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
The Chinese will crack down. It will probably be very ugly. They do not care what the rest of the world thinks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
The Chinese will crack down. It will probably be very ugly. They do not care what the rest of the world thinks

This.

We will see if the protesters can outrun BMPs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: King Kong goes on Strike
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »
 :facepalm:

You know it's time to go to bed when you read this thread title as "King Kong goes on Strike." :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: King Kong goes on Strike
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 11:47:15 PM »
:facepalm:

You know it's time to go to bed when you read this thread title as "King Kong goes on Strike." :laugh:

Yeah, I am not crossing HIS picket line.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Hong Kong goes on Strike
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »

They don't care what the rest of the world thinks, most certainly.

But can they afford the risk of killing a goose with golden eggs? Their financial situation is not good, just like the rest of the world.

(Note, please I am asking, not stating the likely outcome.  How much of a net benefit is Hong Kong to the mainland?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:31:48 AM »
The Chinese think long term . Think hundred year plans . And theirs envision a world where they rule.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »
The Chinese think long term . Think hundred year plans . And theirs envision a world where they rule.

Very true. However, killing off such a valuable possession would take a faith in the next dynasty that defies logic and evidence.

Which, I realize, is not a disqualification of that course of action. I would not be surprised if the Chinese authorities had a belief in their own style of "Manifest Destiny."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »

That is what everyone used to say about the Japanese when they were going to take over the world.  It didn't work to well for them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »
We aren't a 100 years out from ww2 yet

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
That is what everyone used to say about the Japanese when they were going to take over the world.  It didn't work to well for them. 

Very true. However, killing off such a valuable possession would take a faith in the next dynasty that defies logic and evidence.

Which, I realize, is not a disqualification of that course of action. I would not be surprised if the Chinese authorities had a belief in their own style of "Manifest Destiny."

Belief in one's own propaganda/invincibility carries peril.

Even if the Chinese are operating with a pragmatic long-term view, can it withstand the immediate pressures coming to bear when their economic and demographic systems are strained to the breaking point? It seems the Japanese believed their train would keep on rolling, but unanticipated economic and demographic factors derailed it.

• friends
Hong Kong goes on Strike
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
If you ask the Japanese they say the Americanization of their culture post ww2 is the issue. And that's something to look at.

With the Chinese I think they regard allowing dissent to be a greater liability than the other pressures.
Remember depending on who you ask Mao killed 45 million Chinese in 4 years
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017839/Madman-starved-60-million-death-Devastating-book-reveals-Maos-megalomania-turned-China-madhouse.html

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
If you ask the Japanese they say the Americanization of their culture post ww2 is the issue. And that's something to look at.

So our hundred year plan seems to be more effective?  Entertainingly enough that is a very similar thing to what is causing young chinese to be upset.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

With the Chinese I think they regard allowing dissent to be a greater liability than the other pressures.
Remember depending on who you ask Mao killed 45 million Chinese in 4 years
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017839/Madman-starved-60-million-death-Devastating-book-reveals-Maos-megalomania-turned-China-madhouse.html

Sure. I see no conflict in that. If what it means to be Japanese has changed, you wouldn't expect prior culture/values to remain intact.

I also agree regarding the mindset of the Chinese leadership, just not sure their current assumptions & tactics will hold true relative to the long-term strategic planning.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
I think in our 300 year old rapidly changing culture it's difficult to understand a culture that spans thousands and was so very isolationist for most if that time. One that believes in Devine right.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
The chinese better watch out.  Obama will refuse to sell them any more of our T-bills  :P   =D

I think in our 300 year old rapidly changing culture it's difficult to understand a culture that spans thousands and was so very isolationist for most if that time. One that believes in Devine right.

Andy  ???   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
I think is hard for Americans to fathom that even amongst modern Japanese there exists a yearning for "the good old days"
They feel like they were "forced" into the new way