Author Topic: Let's make every kid as dumb as the ones in Chicago.  (Read 845 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Let's make every kid as dumb as the ones in Chicago.
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
Legislators monkey, yet again, with how schools are funded.  Can't let those "Rich" areas spend almost as much as Chicago does per pupil and get much better results.  SB16 re-ggigles the way local districts get state money.  (I thought the lottery was going to pay for all this?) 

Anyway.  I can't wait to get out of this state next spring.

http://www.illinoispolicy.org/the-impact-of-illinois-education-funding-overhaul/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
Re: Let's make every kid as dumb as the ones in Chicago.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
School funding has been lied about, manipulated, and distorted probably since the first schools were formed. Back in the '70s, the graduating student body at my high school wanted to make some modest mods to the school as the traditional farewell gift, amounting to about $2000 when done by local licensed, bonded contractors. School board claimed the actual cost would be $43,750!! A clue to what was going on came from the school superintendent forbidding the graduating seniors from discussing things with anyone, particularly the press.

Naturally, they went STRAIGHT to the newspapers.  =D

That avenue may no longer be available. Locally, Politifact Texas - carried by our local paper, the Austin American-Statesman - just recently challenged a politician's assertion that Texas spends about $12,000 per student annually.

The politician took total education funding and divided by the number of students and came up with $12,000 - very straightforward and reasonable.

BUT . . . he was a Republican. Which means Politifact had to do something. So they decided that certain costs - debt service on school infrastructure, Federal assistance, etc., should not figure into the cost per student . . . and they came up with a figure of around $7k. And THEY dinged HIM for not being truthful.   :facepalm:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Let's make every kid as dumb as the ones in Chicago.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »
The politician took total education funding and divided by the number of students and came up with $12,000 - very straightforward and reasonable.

At one point we had looked into private schools for the girls, and found a pretty nice boarding school for $10,500/year, total cost.  Had it been within an hour's drive, we probably would have gone that route.