Author Topic: Polls Vs Results  (Read 923 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Polls Vs Results
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
Going and checking the Real Clear Politics website for election results and I noticed something odd.

For every race where a D won, the polls were pretty close to the actual percentage of votes the D got.   However, in races where an R won, the polls were off by anything from 4%-10% or even more.   

Virgina Senate, for example, showed Gillespie at 38% in the polls, but he got 48.2%, pending count of (military) absentee ballots.

Illinois Governor: Rauner at 44.8% (and losing) in the polls, but garnering 50.8% of the vote and winning.

NC Senate:  Tillis polled 43.4% (and losing), garners 49% and wins.

I've heard that polls generally "undercount" R votes by 3-4% but this election it was off by much more then that, in almost every race.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Polls Vs Results
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »
The polls to follow (Des Moines Register and Loras College) in Iowa showed Joni Ernst up by 6-7 point close to the election, that is about what she won by.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
Polls can estimate things and gauge opinions but they can't predict turnout easily.  Republicans had the turnout this time and Obama did not have near the support or turnout this election as he did in the Presidential election.

That is one opinion I have heard that I agree with.  This whole idea of turning out the "moderate" or undecided voters is hog wash.  It is about who can turn out their base and get more of their own voters to get out and vote.  The Republican leadership hasn't really enthused the based but Obama has ticked people off.  On the other side, enough Democrats realize that Obama is a loser so turnout on their side was down.  Looking back, neither McCain nor Romney did much to get their base fired up.  The only thing McCain did was pick Palin as his VP candidate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
Here in Oklahoma the weather was kinda of crappy and one "expert" stated that because of that most of who would get out in that would be those pissed off and wanted change.

But why is it when Congress has an approval rating of less than 20% still over 90% are reelected?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Polls Vs Results
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
Here in Oklahoma the weather was kinda of crappy and one "expert" stated that because of that most of who would get out in that would be those pissed off and wanted change.

But why is it when Congress has an approval rating of less than 20% still over 90% are reelected?
Because its alway someone else's fault, never your guys fault.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »

As lupinus said - when you ask how somebody approves of congress, they're rating 535 odd people.  When you ask about their specific critters, approval ratings are generally far higher.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »

Because my guy is great, but your guy sucks.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Because my guy is great, but your guy sucks.

This is one of the things I sometimes get annoyed about; mine really is better than all the alternatives I've seen run against him, so I can't improve things by voting for a change at that level.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/49296/john-carter/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
This is one of the things I sometimes get annoyed about; mine really is better than all the alternatives I've seen run against him, so I can't improve things by voting for a change at that level.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/49296/john-carter/

If you have thought about it enough to actually KNOW your guy is okay or the best you can get, then you are NOT one of the people being referred to.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »

Sadly, just about anybody you pluck from the street would be an improvement over my representative or either of my senators.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design